How Far Away From Family Is Far Enough?

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Here's what I planned long ago! When my wife got her U.S. Citizenship, I did all the immigration paperwork to get both her parents and youngest sister to the U.S. from the Philippines! After a few months, they all found jobs, became independent! Now both her parents are retired in the U.S drawing Social Security benefits and have Medicare from working enough years in the U.S. and my wife and I are both retired here in the Philippines and her youngest sister is still working even with the recession! No, they have no plans in retiring here in the Philippines, because they have everything they need in the U.S.! Anyway, we visit them every other year on our vacation.So, how do you like that for "how far away from family is far enough"?
:th_thbestpost::unsure: :unsure: :AddEmoticons04230:ART2ROyou did a very well, most people only have short-term plans or thinking.. SIR what you did very FEW have done,I commend you. ...( i would give you a hug but just the emotions will suffice) its ashame other members have not done this... :AddEmoticons04230: :AddEmoticons04230: :AddEmoticons04230:its like a saying. you give a man a fish, he can eat, IF you give him a fishing pole. he can feed/support his family

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
There are benefits having family close by too.If you can learn how to say no nicely, there is no need to live apart at all.Regards: Jim
A few forum members have close family members who are a joy to be around even live with. When courting a Filipina it is very important to spend time with her family keeping in mind when you marry a Filipina you also marry her family.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
There are benefits having family close by too.If you can learn how to say no nicely, there is no need to live apart at all.Regards: Jim
A few forum members have close family members who are a joy to be around even live with. When courting a Filipina it is very important to spend time with her family keeping in mind when you marry a Filipina you also marry her family.
Been there done that long ago! I came to the conclusion, that when I don't have privacy, I become a grumpy grouchy person! So, my long laid out plan worked for me in the end! My in-laws now have their privacy and we have ours, but in different countries! I married my wife, not my in-laws, her brothers, sisters, aunts or uncles! Yes, there is a need to live apart from the extended family! My home is not a boarding house and never will be and it hasn't! I'm a Filipino, but if some of you ex-pats think it's OK for your extended family to live with you for the sake of your marriage to your wife and to keep the peace between you, I'm happy for you! I get along fine with my in-laws, her brother, sisters, aunts and uncles as long as they don't live with us or live too close! Anyway, most of my wife's aunts or uncles don't know where we live or we live too far away so they can not impose their unexpected visits upon us! mocking.gif Edited by Art2ro

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Been there done that long ago! I came to the conclusion, that when I don't have privacy, I become a grumpy grouchy person! So, my long laid out plan worked for me in the end! My in-laws now have their privacy and we have ours, but in different countries! I married my wife, not my in-laws, her brothers, sisters, aunts or uncles! Yes, there is a need to live apart from the extended family! My home is not a boarding house and never will be and it hasn't! I'm a Filipino, but if some of you ex-pats think it's OK for your extended family to live with you for the sake of your marriage to your wife and to keep the peace between you, I'm happy for you! I get along fine with my in-laws, her brother, sisters, aunts and uncles as long as they don't live with us or live too close! Anyway, most of my wife's aunts or uncles don't know where we live or we live too far away so they can not impose their unexpected visits upon us! mocking.gif
LOL, yep it works great for you because they don't know your address!:unsure: "Different Strokes for Different Folks!"

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I'm no scourge, as a matter of fact, my wife's niece age 9 and nephew 12, are with us while on their school spring break! They're well behaved kids, so I don't have a problem with them staying with us! They've already been with us for over a month now, but they will be going home next week before school starts up again and I've already bought them alot of their school supples!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Here's what I planned long ago! When my wife got her U.S. Citizenship, I did all the immigration paperwork to get both her parents and youngest sister to the U.S. from the Philippines! After a few months, they all found jobs, became independent! Now both her parents are retired in the U.S drawing Social Security benefits and have Medicare from working enough years in the U.S. and my wife and I are both retired here in the Philippines and her youngest sister is still working even with the recession! No, they have no plans in retiring here in the Philippines, because they have everything they need in the U.S.! Anyway, we visit them every other year on our vacation.So, how do you like that for "how far away from family is far enough"?
I think Art wins the award hands down for having the family the farthest away. AddEmoticons04230.gif Good planning is everything. thumbs-up-smile.gif

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
I'm no scourge, as a matter of fact, my wife's niece age 9 and nephew 12, are with us while on their school spring break! They're well behaved kids, so I don't have a problem with them staying with us! They've already been with us for over a month now, but they will be going home next week before school starts up again and I've already bought them alot of their school supples!
I know you do Art but we wont let on your not a hard a@#!:unsure: Yea, same here we provide for my nieces college education and we are pleased to do so. Just for the record it was not expected our family has the means but it was something we wanted to do because we love her. And IMO that is how support should work as a gift of love and respect.

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted
Hi Jim...No to what exactly?P.S.: this thread is funny :)

piglett
Posted
Posted
well I'm glad all has worked out for you however that mite not work for everyone.I can only speak for myself so here is my situation my farther inlaw is 58 & not in great health however he still does workneither him or my mother inlaw speek more than 2 words of english so ajusting to the US would be really toughby the time all the paperwork was finished & how old would they be ????my farther inlaw is not a stupid man & used to captin a large boat with a good sized crew (it was badly damages in a typoon)so he is not lazy or stipid, however he got sick last year & was out of work for a few monthsit looked to me that he mite have 5 to 10 more years (i am being honest here)would he want to spend his final days in his home countrywith the new fishing boat that my wife & i plan to buy himor would he want to spend those days unable to communicatewith almost everyone around him in a strange place ???every situation is different take carepiglett

Jake
Posted
Posted
well I'm glad all has worked out for you however that mite not work for everyone.I can only speak for myself so here is my situation my farther inlaw is 58 & not in great health however he still does workneither him or my mother inlaw speek more than 2 words of english so ajusting to the US would be really toughby the time all the paperwork was finished & how old would they be ????my farther inlaw is not a stupid man & used to captin a large boat with a good sized crew (it was badly damages in a typoon)so he is not lazy or stipid, however he got sick last year & was out of work for a few monthsit looked to me that he mite have 5 to 10 more years (i am being honest here)would he want to spend his final days in his home countrywith the new fishing boat that my wife & i plan to buy himor would he want to spend those days unable to communicatewith almost everyone around him in a strange place ???every situation is different take carepiglett
Hey Piglett,You know, I spent a couple years up in Bath, Maine pre-commissioning a brand new Navy frigate.The folks there calling themselves "Maniacs" were all good people. One family adopted me andfed me lobsters and clam chowder until I nearly overdose from it. It was pig out heaven!The warmth from the locals there, even during the winter months was all genuine. Needless to saythat you have demonstrated the same New England hospitality by assisting your wife's family.Well done sir -- Jake