How Far Away From Family Is Far Enough?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Here's what I planned long ago! When my wife got her U.S. Citizenship, I did all the immigration paperwork to get both her parents and youngest sister to the U.S. from the Philippines! After a few months, they all found jobs, became independent! Now both her parents are retired in the U.S drawing Social Security benefits and have Medicare from working enough years in the U.S. and my wife and I are both retired here in the Philippines and her youngest sister is still working even with the recession! No, they have no plans in retiring here in the Philippines, because they have everything they need in the U.S.! Anyway, we visit them every other year on our vacation.So, how do you like that for "how far away from family is far enough"?
well I'm glad all has worked out for you however that mite not work for everyone.I can only speak for myself so here is my situation my farther inlaw is 58 & not in great health however he still does workneither him or my mother inlaw speek more than 2 words of english so ajusting to the US would be really toughby the time all the paperwork was finished & how old would they be ????my farther inlaw is not a stupid man & used to captin a large boat with a good sized crew (it was badly damages in a typoon)so he is not lazy or stipid, however he got sick last year & was out of work for a few monthsit looked to me that he mite have 5 to 10 more years (i am being honest here)would he want to spend his final days in his home countrywith the new fishing boat that my wife & i plan to buy himor would he want to spend those days unable to communicatewith almost everyone around him in a strange place ???every situation is different take carepiglett
Yes, it's understandable that age does make the difference, my in-laws were in their late 40s and were at an age that work was still attainable in the U.S., where as here in the Philippines when one is around 25 to 30 yrs old that they are discriminated upon because of their age and most companies will usually hire the younger age groups, usually college graduates! If my in-laws were older, I wouldn't have brought them to the U.S. and instead would have just given them a small home and some kind of livelihood to manage on their own as long it's profitable and they can keep the business going without going bankrupt so I wouldn't have to continue giving them financial assistance, but fortunately I didn't have to go that route! All is well that ends well!

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
There are benefits having family close by too.If you can learn how to say no nicely, there is no need to live apart at all.Regards: Jim
Hi Jim...No to what exactly?P.S.: this thread is funny :unsure:
No to requests of gifts and moneyRegards; Jim