Bug Bites

Garpo
Posted
Posted

I have been living here in the Philippines since last September but am pretty new to this forum. I did a search and thought that I might find something on this topic but no luck. Why is it that the bugs all seem to love us expats more than the natives? It seems that I am always scratching one or two bug bites while my wife and mother in law never seem to have any bites.What are some to the ways others have found to help keep from getting eat'n alive?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

This is my personal observation from having lived in many areas with different types of mosquitoes. When new to the area it feels like I am the only one being bitten and everyone else is not being bitten. After a few months of being bitten then I stop noticing it. It feels like repeated mosquito bites allow most people to begin to become insensitive, much as if they had allergy shots. Unfortunately, moving to a new area that has different mosquitoes tends to start the process over.

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

As my girls Mother says to me while im scratching " HMMM THEY LOVE YOU COZ YOUR IMPORTED MEAT & MASARAP TO THEM " hahahaha to be honest im getting used to it and besides nothing compares to the black flies in Canada in early spring :)O-U-C :lol:

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

have suffered the same....a quick cure from the discomfort is to rub vinegar over the bite. Something to do with the acidity overcoming the bite content.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I have been living here in the Philippines since last September but am pretty new to this forum. I did a search and thought that I might find something on this topic but no luck. Why is it that the bugs all seem to love us expats more than the natives? It seems that I am always scratching one or two bug bites while my wife and mother in law never seem to have any bites.What are some to the ways others have found to help keep from getting eat'n alive?
My theory on it, is that we eat different foods, so we smell different, or our skin puts out a different signal to them. I used to get eaten alive even in the states and then I went on the Atkins diet for a while to lose weight and while working on airboats out in the Everglades, I found I was no longer getting bitten at all, so cutting out carbohydrates worked for me, so some of you may wish to try that and see if it works for you, yet that is often hard to do in the Philippines, at least cheaply, but one can eat eggs, chicken, pork and fish only for a while and see if it helps. BTW it also lowers blood sugar so might help those who are diabetics to.
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
I have been living here in the Philippines since last September but am pretty new to this forum. I did a search and thought that I might find something on this topic but no luck. Why is it that the bugs all seem to love us expats more than the natives? It seems thatI am always scratching one or two bug bites while my wife and mother in law never seem to have any bites.What are some to the ways others have found to help keep from getting eat'n alive?
What has worked for me . Has been adding Very small amount of GARLIC to some of my foods, OR even eating the "GARLIC" peanuts,Has it worked? I have noticed a "reduction" of my bites.Again what works for me may not necessary work for another.
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Whole bread contains lots of vitamin B and your body eliminates any excess through skin pores. For some reason, mosquitoes don't like the odor. Moving to the Philippines and eating white rice reduces the amount of vitamin B in your body, thus making you more attractive to mosquitoes. Filipinos in rural areas don't get bitten as often because of the amount of green, leafy vegetables in their diet. It is usually food in the form of a soup so the addition of garlic, tomatoes, fish, tamarind, etc. may also be helping. One solution is to take a Vitamin B-1 pill. If you have a senstive nose, you can actually smell the change, including your clothes. It should last 4 to 6 hours. Another is an insect repellent containing DEET (N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide). A well known brand with DEET is OFF. Apply it to arms, neck, ankles and other exposed areas.The excess vitamin B is a home remedy solution. I don't know if there are scientific studies to confirm this.

• Like 5

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

The B range of vitamins (not b12) are a "turn off" to mozzies, old time jungle explorers would eat loads of brewers yeast. The B-complex vitamins in brewer's yeast include B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxine), B9 (folic acid), and H or B7 (biotin). These vitamins help break down carbohydrates, fats, and proteins, which provide the body with energy. They also support the nervous system, help maintain the muscles used for digestion, and keep skin, hair, eyes, mouth, and liver healthy.Normally mozzies love me yet for some reason they love my fillipina more than I...... Do mozzies know something? :tiphat:

Edited by Curley
  • Like 1

KanoJoe
Posted
Posted

Eating raw garlic is the homeopathic solution. Never heard of the vitamin B link before, but makes sense to me as I have a weekly b-12 injection and don't get any mossie bites.

• Like 1

billten
Posted
Posted
Normally mozzies love me yet for some reason they love my fillipina more than I...... Do mozzies know something? :tiphat:
Yup, me too. One thing i heard was that the temperature your body runs at is also important. The warmer you are the more tasty you appear to the bugs. Sooooo, find yourself a 'hot' wife and its all good, hahahahaha
  • Like 1