Bug Bites

i am bob
Posted
Posted
The B range of vitamins (not b12) are a "turn off" to mozzies, old time jungle explorers would eat loads of brewers yeast. The B-complex vitamins in brewer's yeast include B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxine), B9 (folic acid), and H or B7 (biotin). These vitamins help break down carbohydrates, fats, and proteins, which provide the body with energy. They also support the nervous system, help maintain the muscles used for digestion, and keep skin, hair, eyes, mouth, and liver healthy.Normally mozzies love me yet for some reason they love my fillipina more than I...... Do mozzies know something? :lol:
I took part in a study regarding Folicin (Folic Acid) and it's ability to prevent Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus. It was so impressive that the studies were stopped half way through and everyone involved was given the higher levels of Folicin. And one of the side effects of the Folicin discovered was that ingesting the same levels resulted in many biting insects not wanting anything to do with us. Since I lived in Black Fly country (and mosquitos too), I was very happy to learn of this!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
a quick cure from the discomfort is to rub vinegar over the bite. Something to do with the acidity overcoming the bite content.
I want to say I tries Roy's remedy on ant bites and it worked for me. It may not work on all bug bites but I suffer from ant bites worse than the other bugs. Try it sometime. I just smothered the bite in vinegar immediately. It took about a minute for the itch to stop and it did not come back.

Garpo
Posted
Posted (edited)

When I started this topic back in May of last year I was still pretty new to the Philippines. Now that I have been here awhile I have found that my body temp has adjusted to the warmer weather here and I do not sweat nearly as much as I used too. That and I now also eat much more garlic (seems to me in most food my wife cooks) I no longer have a major issue with bug bites. At least no more so than my wife who is certainly much hotter than I am. :dance: :lol: :lol: post-1513-0-62441000-1330999895_thumb.jp

Edited by Garpo
  • Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

In Florida during the olden days the crackers drank sulfur water ..... mainly because that is what is below the surface and they had no deep wells ..... now the sulfur doesn't take to long to start oozing through your pores and was not only a good deterrent for bugs but also unwelcome or unexpected guests ..... god does it stink ..... but surprising if you chill the water first it looses all it's terrible taste and you can drink it ..... but as they couldn't chill it back then they just had to put up with it ..... or consumed it with massive quantities of Jim Beam ....... :lol: