Looking Back And Forward....

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
You could have an envelope marked "Open this after I die" or something like that. In that envelope you could put instructions and forms to fill out to notify pension plans, social security, a copy of your will etc. I have a modest life insurance policy and also my wife would get a survivor benefit from my pension. She became a US citizen so she could get some social security when she becomes 62 (a long time from now). Well, she could just go back to the states to work and marry some young guy. Getting dual-citizenship for your wife can provide a more secure future for her after you are gone.
I do not really like to talk about this stuff myself, but one correction that I thought I should tell you about it widows benefits for SS are given at 60, well at least that is what it is now and who knows what they may change it to later on.

Markham
Posted
Posted
Presently the Filipina wife is in the process of having the death certificate sent to NSO in Manila and waiting for that to clear . Then she will go to the British Consulate in Cebu for assistance . It looks as if she may at least be able to recoup the expenses for the burial eventually . In the meantime she has to find the funding for the trip to Cebu , etc . And i think that is why Daisy is asking the question she is asking . In the end i think it is a question every person has to answer on an individual basis as whether to help or not .
Please bear in mind that the British Consulate in Cebu is not "full service" and the UK's diplomatic representative here is an Honorary Consul. (Honary Consuls are normally business or academic professionals who have a high degree of local knowledge, impecable references and are not full-time diplomats). The Consulate is actually a private house in an upscale sub-division in Mandaue City and only operates 2 or 3 days a week for a couple of hours on strictly an appointment-only basis. It would be better if the widow deals principally with the Embassy in Manila and they will advise if she needs to travel to Cebu or to Manila.Mark

retired
Posted
Posted
Presently the Filipina wife is in the process of having the death certificate sent to NSO in Manila and waiting for that to clear . Then she will go to the British Consulate in Cebu for assistance . It looks as if she may at least be able to recoup the expenses for the burial eventually . In the meantime she has to find the funding for the trip to Cebu , etc . And i think that is why Daisy is asking the question she is asking . In the end i think it is a question every person has to answer on an individual basis as whether to help or not .
Please bear in mind that the British Consulate in Cebu is not "full service" and the UK's diplomatic representative here is an Honorary Consul. (Honary Consuls are normally business or academic professionals who have a high degree of local knowledge, impecable references and are not full-time diplomats). The Consulate is actually a private house in an upscale sub-division in Mandaue City and only operates 2 or 3 days a week for a couple of hours on strictly an appointment-only basis. It would be better if the widow deals principally with the Embassy in Manila and they will advise if she needs to travel to Cebu or to Manila.Mark
Thanks for that tip Mark . It is my understanding that the British Embassy spokeperson did say that the Consulate in Cebu could handle the ladies inquiry but we will verify that for certain before proceeding .

Markham
Posted
Posted
Thanks for that tip Mark . It is my understanding that the British Embassy spokeperson did say that the Consulate in Cebu could handle the ladies inquiry but we will verify that for certain before proceeding .
The Honary Consul can certify certain documents but she is not able to issue official Government materials and her ability to assist is somewhat restricted - due to her being an Honary Consul.James (from "another forum") has, I know, offered to hand carry documents for this lady back to the UK and ensure they are delivered and he's departing in around 2 weeks from now. I too am returning to the UK for a few weeks towards the end of February and I make the same offer -- but as I live in a remote part of Wales, I will have to send the documents by registered post upon my arrival rather than hand-deliver them. I have sent you a PM with my land line number.I do hope that the expat community in CDO reflects on this issueMark

Markham
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have just come off the phone to my solicitor in London. She tells me that the widow will need to furnish the following documents:

• A certified copy of her Marriage Certificate, authenticated by the British Consul.
  • A certified copy of her husband's Death Cerificate, also authenticated by the British Consul
  • All Policy Documents relating to his annuities and pensions (since these were issued in the UK, no need for Consular Authentication)
  • Proof of Bank Accounts, property, savings etc held in the UK.
  • If her husband left a Will here, Probate must be obtained and the Certificate sent to the UK for "re-sealing". If no Will, the widow should swear an Affidavit stating her husband died intestate.

If either the Marriage Certificate or Death Certificate is not completed in English, a certified and Consul-authenticated translation is required.She will need to have a personal representative in the UK. This can be either a Solicitor or a "friend" (ie the daughter, if she's prepared to act on her step mother's behalf). In the latter case, the widow will need to provide the daughter with a Power of Attorney which will have to be sworn at the Consulate (without this, the daughter will not be recognised as an Attorney and will not be empowered to act). The Embassy should be able to provide a pro-forma Power of Attorney or will nominate a local lawyer who is versed with the requirements in drafting a PoA.Hope this helps!Mark

Edited by Markham