Catholic Church Has Billions Invested In Bpi, Philex, San Miguel

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

I leave to you the comments.http://www.pinoymoneytalk.com/church-philippines-rich-wealth-stocks/254988_10150208752714019_126022979018_7082097_3133186_a.jpgFor most of us, it’s a given that the Catholic Church is rich. Proofs of that are their sprawling acres of land, large Church structures and buildings, and millions of pesos of cash collected from mass goers every week.What a lot of people do not know, though, is that part of the Church’s wealth is its investment in the stocks of several Philippine companies. In fact, reports submitted to the Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE) show that the Church and affiliate Catholic groups are the top stockholders in companies such as the Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI), Philex Mining Corporation (PX), San Miguel Corporation (SMC), Ayala Corporation (AC), and Phinma Corporation (PHN), among others.The Roman Catholic Archbishop of Manila, for example, owns more than 300 million shares of BPI and is the bank’s 4th largest owner. How much are these shares worth? As of May 2011, this is valued at more than P17 billion. Yes, that’s seventeen billion pesos, with a B.Aside from banking, the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Manila, together with its subsidiary hospitals and companies, is also invested in mining and construction.As of March 31, 2011, it is the top 15th shareholder of Philex Mining Corporation (PX), the country’s biggest mining firm. It owns 3.2 million shares of PX currently worth more than P66 million.It is also a top investor of Concrete Aggregates Corp. (CA), a supplier of construction materials such as processed aggregates, ready mix concrete and crushed sand. Its investment in CA is currently valued at around P4.5 million.The Roman Catholic Archbishop of Manila is not the only diocese invested in Philippine stocks. Other dioceses with millions of pesos worth of stock investments include:

• Roman Catholic Bishop of Tuguegarao, Cagayan – owns 856,639 shares of SMC worth P94 million
  • Roman Catholic Bishop of Nueva Segovia de Vigan – owns 428,067 shares of SMC worth P47 million
  • Roman Catholic Archbishop of Jaro, Iloilo – owns 491,385 shares of BPI worth a total of P28 million
  • Roman Catholic Bishop of Tuguegarao, Cagayan – owns 24,015 shares of Ayala Corp worth P9.3 million
Several affiliate Catholic groups apparently also have huge investments in Philippine companies. More than P500 million pesos worth of San Miguel Corp (SMC)‘s shares, for example, are owned by three (3) Catholic groups:
  • El Superior de la Corporacion Filipina de Padres Agustinos Recoletos – 2.37 million shares worth P260.7 million
  • Superior de la Corporacion Archicofradia de N.P.J.N de Recoletos – 1.23 million shares worth P136 million
  • Carmel of the Divine Infant Jesus of Prague, Inc. – 957,000 shares worth P105 million

All this talk of stock investments is merely the tip of the iceberg since the listing only includes the Church’s investments in PSE-traded firms. We do not know how much more it has invested in private corporations, in companies outside the Philippines, in bonds, in time deposit accounts or in real estate properties.Yes, we understand that the Church has to invest its money in various assets, including stocks. We do not contend that and we recognize its right to invest their money anywhere they want. Actually, this is good because this shows that the Church is financially-literate. What we just hope here at PinoyMoneyTalk is for them to share the same to members of the Catholic community.Apart from shaping the morality of the people, the Church should also do its part in providing financial education to its flock. The weekly Sunday sermons should, therefore, include not just lessons about being morally upright. The Church should also convince mass goers to work and pursue livelihood and to get rid of their sole dependence on God (“Bahala na ang Diyos sa amin”).The Church should educate its people about the value of earning, saving and investing money and not condone Catholics who are already contented in life even if they are penniless (“Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven”).More importantly, we believe the Catholic Church should play a more pivotal and proactive role in helping solve the ills of the country. The billions of pesos of investments (as seen in the table below) can go a long way in uplifting the lives of poor Filipino people who, admittedly, form the critical mass of supporters of the Catholic Church.Yes, the Church is already doing its share by running hospitals and orphanages, by providing assistance to those who come to them for help, and by offering moral guidance.But they can do more and they should do more. They owe it to the millions of Filipinos who went to Church every Sunday and donated the billions of pesos that the Church now owns.Table: Stock Investments of Catholic Church and affiliate Catholic Groups Company# Shares OwnedRank in Top 100Total Investment ValueROMAN CATHOLIC ARCHBISHOP OF MANILABank of the Philippine Islands (BPI)222,843,6814th12,724,374,185ROMAN CATHOLIC ARCHBISHOP OF MLA (REAL CASA DE MISERICORDIA)Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI)41,408,8418th2,364,444,821ROMAN CATHOLIC ARCHBISHOP OF MANILA (HOSPITAL DE SAN JUAN DE DIOS)Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI)22,072,18213th1,260,321,592ROMAN CATHOLIC ARCHBISHOP OF MLA (HOSPICIO DE SAN JOSE)Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI)6,016,62415th343,549,230ROMAN CATHOLIC ARCHBISHOP OF MLA (HOSP DE SA JUAN DE DIOS)Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI)4,285,57217th244,706,161ROMAN CATHOLIC ARCHBISHOP OF MLA (MAYORDOMIA DELA CATEDRAL)Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI)2,664,26621st152,129,589ROMAN CATHOLIC ARCHBISHOP OF MLA (ST. PAUL`S HOSPITAL)Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI)1,772,41826th101,205,068CARMEL OF THE DIVINE INFANT JESUS OF PRAGUE, INC.Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI)726,81949th41,501,365EL SUPERIOR DE LA CORPORACION FILIPINA DE PADRES AGUSTINOS RECOLETOSBank of the Philippine Islands (BPI)551,38260th31,483,912ROMAN CATHOLIC ARCHBISHOP OF JAROBank of the Philippine Islands (BPI)491,38564th28,058,084EL SUPERIOR DE LA CORPORACION FILIPINA DE PADRES AGUSTINOS RECOLETOSSan Miguel Corp (SMC)2,370,00031st260,700,000SUPERIOR DE LA CORPORACION ARCHICOFRADIA DE N.P.J.N DE RECOLETOSSan Miguel Corp (SMC)1,234,60375th135,806,330CARMEL OF THE DIVINE INFANT JESUS OF PRAGUE, INC.San Miguel Corp (SMC)957,51679th105,326,760ROMAN CATHOLIC BISHOP OF TUGUEGARAOSan Miguel Corp (SMC)856,63981st94,230,290REAL MONASTERIO DE LA PURISIMA CONCEPCION DE NUESTRA MADRE SANTA CLARA DE MANILASan Miguel Corp (SMC)809,83483rd89,081,740SUPERIOR DE LA CORPORACION DE PADRES RECOLETOS POR BECAS Y VOCACIONESSan Miguel Corp (SMC)621,70289th68,387,220CARMEL OF ST THERESE OF THE CHILD JESUSSan Miguel Corp (SMC)592,95691st65,225,160THE DISCALCED CARMELITE NUNS OF CEBUSan Miguel Corp (SMC)451,86495th49,705,040ROMAN CATHOLIC BISHOP OF NUEVA SEGOVIA DE VIGANSan Miguel Corp (SMC)428,06798th47,087,370ROMAN CATHOLIC ARCHBISHOP OF MANILAPhilex Mining Corp (PX)3,221,13515th66,677,495RELIGIOUS OF THE VIRGIN MARY - BPhilex Mining Corp (PX)3,125,77716th64,703,584RELIGIOUS OF THE VIRGIN MARY-APhilex Mining Corp (PX)1,091,02769th22,584,259ROMAN CATHOLIC BISHOP OF TUGUEGARAOAyala Corporation (AC)24,01573rd9,289,002KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS FRATERNAL ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILS, INC.Ayala Corporation Preferred Shares - A (ACPA)60,0002nd31,800,000ROMAN CATHOLIC BISHOP OF TAGBILARANAyala Corporation Preferred Shares - B (ACPR)10,00064th1,015,000DAUGHTERS OF CHARITY OF ST. VINCENT DE PAULPHINMA Corp. (PHN)159,57519th2,122,348ROMAN CATHOLIC BISHOP OF THE DIOCESE OF JUAN DE DIOSPHINMA Corp. (PHN)153,88020th2,046,604RELIGIOUS OF THE VIRGIN MARYPHINMA Corp. (PHN)58,97552nd784,368ROMAN CATHOLIC ARCHBISHOP OF MANILAConcrete Aggregates Corp (CA)78,8469th3,469,224ROMAN CATHOLIC ARCHBISHOP OF MLA (REAL CASA DE MISERICORDIA)Concrete Aggregates Corp (CA)13,06718th574,948ROMAN CATHOLIC ARCHBISHOP OF MANILA (HOSPITAL DE SAN JUAN DE DIOS)Concrete Aggregates Corp (CA)8,31724th365,948ROMAN CATHOLIC ARCHBISHOP OF MLA (HOSPICIO DE SAN JOSE)Concrete Aggregates Corp (CA)1,89866th83,512ROMAN CATHOLIC ARCHBISHOP OF MLA (MAYORDOMIA DELA CATEDRAL)Concrete Aggregates Corp (CA)84197th37,004ROMAN CATHOLIC ARCHBISHOP OF MANILAISM Communications (ISM)38,39948th126,333SOCIETY OF THE DIVINE WORDFilipino Fund Inc. (FFI)6,00024th48,000ROMAN CATHOLIC BISHOP OF BANGUEDFilipino Fund Inc. (FFI)1,50049th12,000CATHOLIC WOMENS LEAGUEBenguet Corp. - A (BC)21553rd4,107CORPORACION DE PADRES DOMINICOSEEI75,00075th256,500* Rank in Top 100 – rank in the Top 100 Stockholders of the Company, a report submitted by the company to the PSE** Total Investment Value – peso value of total shares owned, as of May 27, 2011 closing pricesSource: Company reports submitted to the Philippine Stock Exchange

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I moved this out of culture as it not really a culture topic. I will just warn you Wallaby that you are starting to look like a troll who post topics to get a reaction so be warned that if the intent is to disrupt the forum then the proper action will be taken

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted (edited)

troll?No need to action then, I won't post anymore.I apologize for posting it in the wrong category.Kind regards

Edited by wallaby

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
troll?No need to action then, I won't post anymore.Kind regards
I do not think it is necessary for you to leave, but of course that is your choice. Many of your posts are perfectly OK, and if a person is trying to learn, then we are happy to help, but some of the topics you post seem to be as Boss Man says, quite controversial and do appear to be with the intent to start an uproar and stir the pot. This forum is not like other forums where member call each other names and attack each other, and we are trying to keep it that way. Posts on abortion, guns, religion, politics etc will always cause a problem because we all take different sides on items such as those, so to keep the peace, it would be best to not start topics which may cause a problem. By some of your other posts it is obvious that you are anti religion and anti Catholic church, so starting this topic is seen as trying to cause trouble by yourself, whereas if a member who has not shown those views on those items, it would be perfectly alright posting a topic such as this. I too believe the church should spend their money feeding the poor and not trying to get richer, but unless someone makes a law about it, there is not much hope for change with the church, and especially as they relate to the Philippines because the church is all powerful in the Philippines and therefore has the power to get someone elected or not, so few will buck the church no matter what anyone says about it.

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted
I do not think it is necessary for you to leave, but of course that is your choice. Many of your posts are perfectly OK, and if a person is trying to learn, then we are happy to help, but some of the topics you post seem to be as Boss Man says, quite controversial and do appear to be with the intent to start an uproar and stir the pot. This forum is not like other forums where member call each other names and attack each other, and we are trying to keep it that way. Posts on abortion, guns, religion, politics etc will always cause a problem because we all take different sides on items such as those, so to keep the peace, it would be best to not start topics which may cause a problem. By some of your other posts it is obvious that you are anti religion and anti Catholic church, so starting this topic is seen as trying to cause trouble by yourself, whereas if a member who has not shown those views on those items, it would be perfectly alright posting a topic such as this. I too believe the church should spend their money feeding the poor and not trying to get richer, but unless someone makes a law about it, there is not much hope for change with the church, and especially as they relate to the Philippines because the church is all powerful in the Philippines and therefore has the power to get someone elected or not, so few will buck the church no matter what anyone says about it.
Hi Kuya, I always do what I says but I'll just reply to you as sign of respect since you have been the most patient with me with long answers and I appreciate that.The simple reason why I posted this article (which by the way was not written by me if that ain't clear to someone) is to hear your comments without me saying anything....and yes in part as an answer to some comments in the other thread, since to me this is just a global business but since no matter what I do, it seems that I have been now labelled troll so whats the point for me in asking more questions? To me asking questions on all topics of life is important, if you notice I asked about water, internet, etc. first then as I realized that religion was a huge part of the Philippines I wanted to know more and randomly today I found that article......on a financial site, but since I am a troll now (however weird of a troll posting so many interesting messages in a month.....) I see no point posting. If I am allowed, I'll still be reading as most of others seem to do.I did not invite anyone to drop or change their beliefs, I just copied an article... so I don't really understand the fuss.Kind regards

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
Hi Kuya, I always do what I says but I'll just reply to you as sign of respect since you have been the most patient with me with long answers and I appreciate that.The simple reason why I posted this article (which by the way was not written by me if that ain't clear to someone) is to hear your comments without me saying anything....and yes in part as an answer to some comments in the other thread, since to me this is just a global business but since no matter what I do, it seems that I have been now labelled troll so whats the point for me in asking more questions? To me asking questions on all topics of life is important, if you notice I asked about water, internet, etc. first then as I realized that religion was a huge part of the Philippines I wanted to know more and randomly today I found that article......on a financial site, but since I am a troll now (however weird of a troll posting so many interesting messages in a month.....) I see no point posting. If I am allowed, I'll still be reading as most of others seem to do.I did not invite anyone to drop or change their beliefs, I just copied an article... so I don't really understand the fuss.Kind regards
Boss man did not say you are a troll, he said you are starting to look like one. I do not think you are a troll and you have posted some great posts, but some do seem like you are trying to cause a problem, so just heed his warning and watch what you post in the future and you will be alright. That of course is if you ever wish to post again. That would be up to you, but in order to be on forums, one has to have a thick skin, so you have to take what is written to you, with a grain of salt, because we all have bad days at times and sometimes posts or posters get to us. I am not making excuses for Boss Man, I am just pointing out that each and everyone of us has our limits and triggers that piss us off, and it seems Tom (Boss Man) has reached his with that post. Anyway enjoy reading the forum and of course you are allowed to since no action has been taken against you, and none will be if you do not post controversial posts and especially in the categories I have listed above. Either way, when you get to Cebu, and if my wife and I are there at the time, then feel free to pm me and we can meet up for a chat and a meal or coffee. Cheers mate. Edited by Kuya Lee
correct an error

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Personally.... I thought that article was completely fascinating. Take from it whatever you might, but the fact that they're so business savvy, which I did not know before, is quite amazing, for better or worse. I'm glad he posted it. Thanks Wallaby.Personally, I believe the members here are respectful and mature enough to discuss this without acting like babies. I don't understand how disagreeing with someone is offensive. If they believe what they believe (pro or anti God) then why do they care if I don't? Still, we can talk about it without hating each other.

Candyman
Posted
Posted
Personally.... I thought that article was completely fascinating. Take from it whatever you might, but the fact that they're so business savvy, which I did not know before, is quite amazing, for better or worse. I'm glad he posted it. Thanks Wallaby.Personally, I believe the members here are respectful and mature enough to discuss this without acting like babies. I don't understand how disagreeing with someone is offensive. If they believe what they believe (pro or anti God) then why do they care if I don't? Still, we can talk about it without hating each other.
Very well said ! I took it in the intent it was given too, which was to impart information which I was not aware of. It has nothing to do with religion at all, it merely states what the largest stock holders of certain companies were, and that was certainly news to me !I was not aware of any Church investing in any companies like that, and I thank Wallaby for posting it !:lol: :lol:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The problem could be that those who agree with Wallaby's posting are happy. Those who disagree, or may want to elaborate about the Catholic religion, are forbidden by the rules of this forum. This kind of topic serves only to divide the members on the basis of their belief system. It is not the reason I come to this forum. Is it why YOU (generic you) come here?

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

Wallaby., thank you for the posting. I too have seen this information, i had wanted to post but the source i had was not as "in depth" as yours, :AddEmoticons04230:bossman is right in his opinion based on his experience. it was what he noticed that could be an issue in the future.(running this forum,of what i have seen/read the past 6months this site is more "CIVIL", clean,less attacks. NO SPAM,compared to the other sites i have viewed.) my main comment about the article.. IS THIS. yes the money is for investments. investment income allows business or RETIREES to live/grow without touching the principal ,* if this ORGANIZATION has used some of this (dividend income)to help those who need help.**** (perhaps they have but its not been published) could some member can provide the forum with the projects that has been done recently.this would be appreciated. :th_thanx:

Edited by ed villas