Legal Questions

andre007
Posted
Posted
To answer your question. The Integrated Bar of the Philippines is the place where you can make your complaint.http://www.ibp.ph/downloads.htmlIf you desire inside information please feel free to PM me.Regards
Thank you Andre007 for the link to the Integrated Bar of the Philippines. Within the website, there are a few downloads regarding disbarment, discipline and guidelines for imposing sanction of lawyers. Are you sir a Filipino citizen and a practicing attorney in the Philippines? I realize that advising legal matters or solicitingin an open forum may be a conflict of interest but we all appreciate your comments that may benefit all ofus to become better expatriates of your wonderful country.Respectfully -- Jake
Jake,I am an American Citizen born and raised.I live here now in Cebu. I am not an Attorney in any shape or form.. I was only answering a simple question for somebody who asked who is the governing body who discipline attorneys.I solicited the OP to contact me through PM because I have personally dealt with them and I will be dealing with them again very very soon. The reason I said that is because it seems everybody wants to crucify him for asking a question and I know how that feels. It is not my right to judge him but I do think it is fair that somebody gives him an answer if that is his choice of actions.

Jake
Posted
Posted
To answer your question. The Integrated Bar of the Philippines is the place where you can make your complaint.http://www.ibp.ph/downloads.htmlIf you desire inside information please feel free to PM me.Regards
Thank you Andre007 for the link to the Integrated Bar of the Philippines. Within the website, there are a few downloads regarding disbarment, discipline and guidelines for imposing sanction of lawyers. Are you sir a Filipino citizen and a practicing attorney in the Philippines? I realize that advising legal matters or solicitingin an open forum may be a conflict of interest but we all appreciate your comments that may benefit all ofus to become better expatriates of your wonderful country.Respectfully -- Jake
Jake,I am an American Citizen born and raised.I live here now in Cebu. I am not an Attorney in any shape or form.. I was only answering a simple question for somebody who asked who is the governing body who discipline attorneys.I solicited the OP to contact me through PM because I have personally dealt with them and I will be dealing with them again very very soon. The reason I said that is because it seems everybody wants to crucify him for asking a question and I know how that feels. It is not my right to judge him but I do think it is fair that somebody gives him an answer if that is his choice of actions.
Hello Andre 007,Roger that, and we all appreciate a balanced view to help our fellow members. Thank you for your inputsand hope to hear more from you.Respectfully -- Jake

• 1 month later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

just curious Bruce what is the update on this ? it is a very interesting topic/situation .thanks Ed

Bruce
Posted
Posted
just curious Bruce what is the update on this ? it is a very interesting topic/situation .thanks Ed
We have photos of the place as abandoned and letters from the electric company and water company saying the service ws shut off in 2007. So we are countersuing for all costs and back rents et al. The attorney I am using is a former judge and is able to hget things done with out much time loss. Here in the US, I would have 'no standing' to file a complaint against the attorney as he is not 'my attorney'. So, using a round about way to screw with this guy, one all is said and done and we have the judgement in hand, I will approach the people who sued us in the 1st place thinking they would get a quick hand out from the Kano, and tell them I am willing to pay my attorney lots of money to chase them for the judgement, OR they can file a formal complaint against their attorney for giving them bad advice and exposing them to this liability that would not have happened IF he had told them to just leave it alone as they owe many thousnads of pesos in back land rents as well as witnesses galore that will testify they abandoned the building when they built their new house. They can not over come the pictures and the utilities shut off as well as that MOVED to another town! They never maintianed the property and never rented it out. And I did offer them 12,000p a while ago to sign a release on the place so I could start construction..... They ignored the letter from the attorney I sent them. The actual owners are not at fault so much as is their adult daughter who started this mess. Both mom and dad were well aware they left the property in 2007 and had not paid land rent in years before that. See the construction pics.....

Bruce
Posted
Posted
We have photos of the place as abandoned and letters from the electric company and water company saying the service ws shut off in 2007. So we are countersuing for all costs and back rents et al. The attorney I am using is a former judge and is able to hget things done with out much time loss. Here in the US, I would have 'no standing' to file a complaint against the attorney as he is not 'my attorney'. So, using a round about way to screw with this guy, one all is said and done and we have the judgement in hand, I will approach the people who sued us in the 1st place thinking they would get a quick hand out from the Kano, and tell them I am willing to pay my attorney lots of money to chase them for the judgement, OR they can file a formal complaint against their attorney for giving them bad advice and exposing them to this liability that would not have happened IF he had told them to just leave it alone as they owe many thousnads of pesos in back land rents as well as witnesses galore that will testify they abandoned the building when they built their new house. They can not over come the pictures and the utilities shut off as well as that MOVED to another town! They never maintianed the property and never rented it out. And I did offer them 12,000p a while ago to sign a release on the place so I could start construction..... They ignored the letter from the attorney I sent them. The actual owners are not at fault so much as is their adult daughter who started this mess. Both mom and dad were well aware they left the property in 2007 and had not paid land rent in years before that. See the construction pics.....

post-404-0-34870400-1310922508_thumb.jpg

post-404-0-44273800-1310922526_thumb.jpg

post-404-0-41545800-1310922538_thumb.jpg

Travis
Posted
Posted

Bruce please tell us more about your charity & building project

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well it is not much of a charity so far. Just me and my own money doing what I can for the squatters in Catbalogan. I currently have 11 kids in school (started with 12 a month ago) and I am buying 1 sack of rice per month per widow or family with little or no support, and there are currently 4 of them. I currently have 4 balikbyan (spl?) in transit and one already delivered yesterday (5 total in past 90 days) with some cheap foods, medicines and 40 calculators ($1 ea at Walmart) as well as used cell phones / tools and other stuff! The building is going well and is to be a 2-3 story (storey for the Queens people) boarding house. 6 rooms per floor with a small extra manager's room and a dirty kitchen. I really don't know what a dirty kitchen is, but I was told I needed one. The foundation is way over built (EXTRA MONEY!) to support up to 5 floors and be somewhat earthquake resistant. Each room shall have a toilet! And I had the septic tank also over built. It really isn't much at all that I am doing, but it keeps me from wandering the streets..... And I do enjoy making an attempt in improving the lives of a few people way out there on Samar! The trick is to show support and help without becoming their acutal sole support, which makes them lazy. I am still working on that.....

vance
Posted
Posted
Well it is not much of a charity so far. Just me and my own money doing what I can for the squatters in Catbalogan. I currently have 11 kids in school (started with 12 a month ago) and I am buying 1 sack of rice per month per widow or family with little or no support, and there are currently 4 of them. I currently have 4 balikbyan (spl?) in transit and one already delivered yesterday (5 total in past 90 days) with some cheap foods, medicines and 40 calculators ($1 ea at Walmart) as well as used cell phones / tools and other stuff! The building is going well and is to be a 2-3 story (storey for the Queens people) boarding house. 6 rooms per floor with a small extra manager's room and a dirty kitchen. I really don't know what a dirty kitchen is, but I was told I needed one. The foundation is way over built (EXTRA MONEY!) to support up to 5 floors and be somewhat earthquake resistant. Each room shall have a toilet! And I had the septic tank also over built. It really isn't much at all that I am doing, but it keeps me from wandering the streets..... And I do enjoy making an attempt in improving the lives of a few people way out there on Samar! The trick is to show support and help without becoming their actual sole support, which makes them lazy. I am still working on that.....
Bruce, as a qualifier I'm living here 17 years, doing business for 11. What I can tell you is the Philippines laden with unpredictability. It has been the case on rare occasion albeit that the foreigner will come out of these things on top but it is the exception not the rule. Your best way to play this is to take a back seat and let your lady friend handle it. Don't remind all involved at every hearing, meeting etc of your involvement. Whats also sadly quite possible is your lady friend will let you construct it, then have different plans for it and you'll find yourself feeling like a sucker, as you see your well intended charity turned nightmare leaving you with hurt pride, anger and anti-Filipino sentiments.For me, I don't believe charity achieves it's purpose. I think it corrupts and brings out the worse in people and does nothing to promote self reliance.

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Well it is not much of a charity so far. Just me and my own money doing what I can for the squatters in Catbalogan. I currently have 11 kids in school (started with 12 a month ago) and I am buying 1 sack of rice per month per widow or family with little or no support, and there are currently 4 of them. I currently have 4 balikbyan (spl?) in transit and one already delivered yesterday (5 total in past 90 days) with some cheap foods, medicines and 40 calculators ($1 ea at Walmart) as well as used cell phones / tools and other stuff! The building is going well and is to be a 2-3 story (storey for the Queens people) boarding house. 6 rooms per floor with a small extra manager's room and a dirty kitchen. I really don't know what a dirty kitchen is, but I was told I needed one. The foundation is way over built (EXTRA MONEY!) to support up to 5 floors and be somewhat earthquake resistant. Each room shall have a toilet! And I had the septic tank also over built. It really isn't much at all that I am doing, but it keeps me from wandering the streets..... And I do enjoy making an attempt in improving the lives of a few people way out there on Samar! The trick is to show support and help without becoming their actual sole support, which makes them lazy. I am still working on that.....
Bruce, as a qualifier I'm living here 17 years, doing business for 11. What I can tell you is the Philippines laden with unpredictability. It has been the case on rare occasion albeit that the foreigner will come out of these things on top but it is the exception not the rule. Your best way to play this is to take a back seat and let your lady friend handle it. Don't remind all involved at every hearing, meeting etc of your involvement. Whats also sadly quite possible is your lady friend will let you construct it, then have different plans for it and you'll find yourself feeling like a sucker, as you see your well intended charity turned nightmare leaving you with hurt pride, anger and anti-Filipino sentiments.For me, I don't believe charity achieves it's purpose. I think it corrupts and brings out the worse in people and does nothing to promote self reliance.
I do understand. There was a hearing yesterday (last night for me) and the judge made several friendly efforts to get them to drop the case as they can't win. He even went so far as to ask if they had some property to use if they lost the case to pay the legal fees et al. They said yes so he set another hearing date. We will see what happens when they have some time to talk to their attorney. Which is what angers me. These people have no claim and they are paying some attorney to file a case they can't win and even when the judge looks at the evidence and questions their claims and tries to get them to drop it, they continue. I see their attorney as the true bad guy.As for the charity, I take a different view than you. While it is true the kids I am paying the school costs for may drop out or never amount to much, they are at least, withy my intrevention, getting an oppertunity that they would not have if I had not offered it. The widows are still widows anyway you look at it and live in nipa houses and beg and borrow for food. So I think I can afford a few sacks of rice. Bruce

• 2 weeks later...
Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Although having someone eliminate you because you made them lose face is the exception not the rule, another avenue everyone here has overlooked is the ability to easily have them deported. All they have to do is file a complaint to the Brgy Captain and their local PNP station and BI and game over. Not even a hearing. No proof required. Say thank you to the Govt for making it against the law for a foreigner to cause a Filipino Citizen to lose face for any reason. Remember, it's their country and we will always be a guest even if you're a permanent guest. You have absolutely NO rights here whatsoever except to hand over your money, period. Yes, this frustrates me to no end but if I want to live here, this is what we are all stuck with. Thanks for allowing the small rant. God Bless..Steve.