Guard Dogs

Bill Bernard
Posted
Posted

I am curious as to what breed of guard dog is best suited for the Philippines. I typically see the cranky little mutts with no training, and the odd Rotti in Davao. I have an 8 year old, and lots of young cousins will no doubt be around at meal times. I want a trained animal, are they available from good breeders, or should I take one with me?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
I am curious as to what breed of guard dog is best suited for the Philippines. I typically see the cranky little mutts with no training, and the odd Rotti in Davao. I have an 8 year old, and lots of young cousins will no doubt be around at meal times. I want a trained animal, are they available from good breeders, or should I take one with me?
There are purebred breeders in the Philippines and you can buy a quality animal there or import a dog from Canada.I know of an great dog trainer and a vet on the island of Cebu. They worked with the German Sheppard our family owned and I would not hesitate to recommend them they may know someone in the Davao area. If you may PE me for more information if you are interested.

brock
Posted
Posted

I have no need of a Rottweiler......I have CheChe :AddEmoticons04230:

Inspector
Posted
Posted
I have a foreigner, mean old bastard BTW, that lives down the street from me in Davao...has a BEAUTIFUL doberman. Guy had NO idea how to train that thing, and used to starve it for punishment, and smack it with the leash to get it to sit. Broke my heart, but the dog was top of the line with papers...before he ruined him. I seen one foreigner walking a rotty at rhe SM mall in Davao, and my pitbull lovers her. Not sure of the lineage as she looks kind of scrawny for a rotty. I know of some great breeders here, and belong to the pitbull club, and a few other dog clubs. Surprisingly, you can get a good breed here...if you do your homework. You will find a LOT of backyard crap, with filipinos in the middle class keeping their dogs in little cages outside all the time. I find in middle class hoods, gated and guarded, the dogs are more of a status symbol then pet, and a dog guards nothing in a cage and simply becomes a car alarm.We keep our pitbull as they do in the west...in the house, trained and even allowed on the bed when he freaks with the thunder. Pitbulls of course don't make great watchdogs as they love people, contrary to what is fed from the media, but just the look is enough to scare away 99% of all filipinos. :lol:A good guard dog can be had...let me know by PM what type you are looking for and I can shoot you over a few names of that breed. Realize that you might need to get a dog from Manila if you want a champion lined type...with the papers that go way back.And pay a few bucks for it.....

Bill Bernard
Posted
Posted
I have a foreigner, mean old bastard BTW, that lives down the street from me in Davao...has a BEAUTIFUL doberman. Guy had NO idea how to train that thing, and used to starve it for punishment, and smack it with the leash to get it to sit. Broke my heart, but the dog was top of the line with papers...before he ruined him. I seen one foreigner walking a rotty at rhe SM mall in Davao, and my pitbull lovers her. Not sure of the lineage as she looks kind of scrawny for a rotty. I know of some great breeders here, and belong to the pitbull club, and a few other dog clubs. Surprisingly, you can get a good breed here...if you do your homework. You will find a LOT of backyard crap, with filipinos in the middle class keeping their dogs in little cages outside all the time. I find in middle class hoods, gated and guarded, the dogs are more of a status symbol then pet, and a dog guards nothing in a cage and simply becomes a car alarm.We keep our pitbull as they do in the west...in the house, trained and even allowed on the bed when he freaks with the thunder. Pitbulls of course don't make great watchdogs as they love people, contrary to what is fed from the media, but just the look is enough to scare away 99% of all filipinos. :lol:A good guard dog can be had...let me know by PM what type you are looking for and I can shoot you over a few names of that breed. Realize that you might need to get a dog from Manila if you want a champion lined type...with the papers that go way back.And pay a few bucks for it.....
Thanks, when we get our move done we will do that. Is there a particular breed that is better suited for the climate, and chaos than another. Here German Shepherds are still the popular choice, with Rotty's and Dobermans . With the small lot size and climate, maybe a smaller dog is better.

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Thanks, when we get our move done we will do that. Is there a particular breed that is better suited for the climate, and chaos than another. Here German Shepherds are still the popular choice, with Rotty's and Dobermans . With the small lot size and climate, maybe a smaller dog is better.
Well, I am biased with the full bred american pitbull terier. Was a breeder back in New York and have had many, and I don't feel another dog matches them in terms of well....anything. Smaller (non bully type), athletic, funny, friendly and loves kids. However, being they ARE a fighting dog, they can be aggressive with other dogs if not socialized as a puppy. The horror stories are simply 99% media created bullshet...they were called the nanny dog for a reason. Contact Nena from I.R.O...Island Rescue Organization, who is a Pinay from Fresno California, and the President of this fine animal rescue in Cebu. We met her at a pitbull show in Cebu, and she owns one that is so well trained she uses it as Ceaser Millan from the Dog Whisperer used "Daddy" If this dig does interest you, short haired and good in hot weather, I know of some of the top breeders, as does Nena. My other favorite dog is a Rotty, as well as a Dobie...they are more suited as people biters then the pitbull, but I really don't want a dog as powerful as a Rottie bite nailing some kid. That, IMHO, is the best reason for an american pitbull terrier. The name and look strikes fear, and oddly enough...they are so people sweet it amazes those who read too much news sensationalism. But the average filipino will be scared of of this type of dog...especially if they are a bit bully type.If you are around the SM mall in Davao, and want to see his bloodlines and disposition ....I walk Rascal every morning around the entire mall, early (5 am -6) along with a lot of locals who walk or run for exercise. Ask for the foreigner who looks like his dog. :lol:They all know me there. :AddEmoticons04230:

Inspector
Posted
Posted (edited)

Oh, my parents have always had the German Shepards, police type dogs. If you don't mind clumps of hair all over the house (if you keep them as a house dog) and a dog that barks at leaves non stop....then all the power to you. Fine watch dogs, but I don't think they are good hot weather type dogs, and you will not sleep much. :3_8_14[1]::lol:I actually seen a filipino with a Siberian Husky in my community.....WTH?...it's the Philippines and this dog is made for well, Siberia. :AddEmoticons04230:

Edited by Inspector

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

I do have 4 dogs, 3 for guard and one which i got because it was so cute. The guard dogs are askals. No particular race. They are excellent dogs. They play with the kids and if a grown up tries to enter the house, one whom they do not know, all 3 stop in front of him barging and showing their teeth. The cute little one does the same but it rather looks like a sausage than a dog...LOL!!!!If you want a breed dog there are many places here to buy. One for example is tiendesitas in pasig on C5, the pets section there is huge.

Bill Bernard
Posted
Posted
Oh, my parents have always had the German Shepards, police type dogs. If you don't mind clumps of hair all over the house (if you keep them as a house dog) and a dog that barks at leaves non stop....then all the power to you. Fine watch dogs, but I don't think they are good hot weather type dogs, and you will not sleep much. :3_12_31[1]::lol:I actually seen a filipino with a Siberian Husky in my community.....WTH?...it's the Philippines and this dog is made for well, Siberia. :36_1_68[1]:
Thanks Inspector, I will look for you on my next trip to Davao.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't like dogs, unless they're behaved and well trained to attack only intruders and don't cost too much to feed! I think I'll just buy a native talking Myna bird, cheap to feed and teach it to alert us of any intruders! Scenario: WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! Then he attacks the intruder pecking out his eyeballsmocking.gif

Edited by Art2ro