Philippines, Why

Inspector
Posted
Posted

Yeah, what Lee said.Living in a house next to a bunch of squatters on one side, playing music all night and kids crapping on the property with the dogs and chickens....with a single middle aged snob filipina on the other with 2 running maids on the other side that is always making advances at you sexually, while you argue over a roach problem with a cheap landlord, and avoiding the advances of a lot of neighborhood loose gooses that look like they are still in high school, while sponsoring the associations basketball team, and listening to chismosa at the local sari sari, and actually enjoying it damn me..while taking jeepneys, buses and trikes everywhere..... is not like staying a few weeks or months in a hotel being cabbed around town while eating out. There is a difference of visiting Europe on some expensive tourist package, and living in a villa out there the entire year. Living here is quite the experience...been a bachelor in condo Subic with many retired military of a place I know a bit about from my Navy days, to living in the province, to a filthy middle class community not guarded, and now...guarded and western like. Notice a pattern. :whistling:Why the Philippines? :89:I would like to avoid saying a woman, and then adding all those other artificial things that just "happen" to sound great and a reason to support the theory that it aint "just" about a woman, when in fact if it was NOT a woman, being I was not born there and have no family in the Philippines, I can say there is nothing else that would get me to live here over the west. Nada.All the beaches, diving and friendly locals stuff?...please. As Lee points out, it aint even less expensive anymore.:oHow about a topic ...if a man had is balls cut off...and had NO interest in sex at ALL, would he be here?Take away the young woman that throw themselves at old foreigners, and then get to me with the WHY'S. :lol:The why is ALWAYS a woman...wife/gf, playboys type life...dreaded bar hopping sexpat...whatever, it is ALWAYS the woman.The other stuff aint a why...it's more like good and bad discoveries AFTER the woman gets you there. "hey, that beach was nice, until the diaper hit my leg""what the hell?...I've been waiting three days in the house for them to fix my cable""that girl wants....me?""why is that guy putting those puppies in a bag?...to drown them in a river cause his baby is allergic?"

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Yeah, what Lee said.Living in a house next to a bunch of squatters on one side, playing music all night and kids crapping on the property with the dogs and chickens....with a single middle aged snob filipina on the other with 2 running maids on the other side that is always making advances at you sexually, while you argue over a roach problem with a cheap landlord, and avoiding the advances of a lot of neighborhood loose gooses that look like they are still in high school, while sponsoring the associations basketball team, and listening to chismosa at the local sari sari, and actually enjoying it damn me..while taking jeepneys, buses and trikes everywhere..... is not like staying a few weeks or months in a hotel being cabbed around town while eating out. There is a difference of visiting Europe on some expensive tourist package, and living in a villa out there the entire year. Living here is quite the experience...been a bachelor in condo Subic with many retired military of a place I know a bit about from my Navy days, to living in the province, to a filthy middle class community not guarded, and now...guarded and western like. Notice a pattern. :whistling:Why the Philippines? :89:I would like to avoid saying a woman, and then adding all those other artificial things that just "happen" to sound great and a reason to support the theory that it aint "just" about a woman, when in fact if it was NOT a woman, being I was not born there and have no family in the Philippines, I can say there is nothing else that would get me to live here over the west. Nada.All the beaches, diving and friendly locals stuff?...please. As Lee points out, it aint even less expensive anymore.:oHow about a topic ...if a man had is balls cut off...and had NO interest in sex at ALL, would he be here?Take away the young woman that throw themselves at old foreigners, and then get to me with the WHY'S. :lol:The why is ALWAYS a woman...wife/gf, playboys type life...dreaded bar hopping sexpat...whatever, it is ALWAYS the woman.The other stuff aint a why...it's more like good and bad discoveries AFTER the woman gets you there. "hey, that beach was nice, until the diaper hit my leg""what the hell?...I've been waiting three days in the house for them to fix my cable""that girl wants....me?""why is that guy putting those puppies in a bag?...to drown them in a river cause his baby is allergic?"
Only one correction to your post on a quote from me, IMO it is not cheaper for us Americans to live a western lifestyle there, be it in the city or provinces, yet it is probably cheaper to live a province lifestyle in the provinces, but yes, it mostly comes down to the women, or in my case my wife, and the friendly smiles that makes us feel like we are somebody. Of course for us seeing our adopted grown teacher daughters and other Filipino friends we have made along the way, makes the whole trip worthwhile. Different strokes for different folks.

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Only one correction to your post on a quote from me, IMO it is not cheaper for us Americans to live a western lifestyle there, be it in the city or provinces, yet it is probably cheaper to live a province lifestyle in the provinces, but yes, it mostly comes down to the women, or in my case my wife, and the friendly smiles that makes us feel like we are somebody. Of course for us seeing our adopted grown teacher daughters and other Filipino friends we have made along the way, makes the whole trip worthwhile. Different strokes for different folks.
Well, I did the province thing... no hot water, electric for a fan, limited tv, TUBA...brown outs all the time, well...hell yeah it's going to be cheaper. I can also live in a cardboard box, homeless in the US...and live "cheaper". :lol:And if you can get a lot of cute woman living in a cardboard box, you might want to start buying stocks on corrugated boxes. "Cardboard box homeless living overtakes driving a corvette with a vanity license plate that says wlhung as number one way to attract woman in the west...story after the game"I've also made a ton of friends from my military days until now...and I can still make them anywhere in the world. Not sure if the filipino male makes a better friend or not, then say other places, but I am sure the fact you have the wife and met some of her friends and family, that you found some you enjoyed sharing a tuba with.It's not like I was sitting around the house one day, and said to myself..."i need more male friends...where can I find them?...oh, I know...the Philippines" :89:The WHY is ALWAYS a woman.ALWAYS. :yes:Now, if you got a divorce, spent some time out in Subic as a navy boy, and a retired married friend contacts you and says...come on out and find a wife without the western woman attitude, then you might say, yeah...forgot about that place, and the ladies sure are cute....the Philippines might then give you a WHY. :AddEmoticons04230:

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
To OLD55 I say, visiting is not living, no insult meant, but believe me, even living there part time is not like when we used to visit for a few weeks at a time. To Art with no insult in any way meant to you, I say, living the American dream does not have to mean keeping up with the Jones
Well Lee, I'm not offended, but I stand to differ with you on this one, because one doesn't necessarily have to live in the Philippines fulltime to experience the good or the bad things here! Old55 probably lived in a lot of different countries and experienced every lifestyle one could think of and you yourself on your vacation here and at your in-laws where you experienced the good with the bad as well! It is still living weather it’s just a few days, weeks, months or years! And as for “the Jones", they’re still alive and doing well, unless their bubble burst on them leaving them penniless or homeless! I’ve lived and experienced keeping up appearances with the Jones all my life up until today here in the Philippines too! They’re everywhere and of different nationalities weather they’re retired or not! Keeping up with the Jones is of a human behavior of nature too! It’s all about keeping up appearances to fit in in a way of saving face or to maintain one's self esteem! To simplify what I’m getting at, you ever watched TV, Beverly Hills 90210? That’s what I’m talking about, it exists everywhere in any country! It’s all about keeping up appearances to fit in with ones peers, friends or co-workers! It’s sometimes a subconscious behavior or of a conscious one for a person or persons wanting to fit in and it‘s a price one sometimes have to pay to achieve their wants in life even though it may be superficial! It’s always a matter of money! Either you have or you don’t and the haves not will sometimes beg, borrow or steal to get what they want in order to fit in! An example: teenager’s unwed mother gets married to a man from L.A., but is not well to do. The teenager has been going to school in an upscale district and in order for her to fit in, she has been borrowing clothes from her friends before going to school! I’ve experienced the same thing going to Junior High School, where I knew a good friend of mine, who’s parents could only afford to buy his clothes and shoes at thrift shop! One day, he asked me if he could wear my new shoes and jacket, because he was going to meet a girl and wanted to make an appearance that he wasn’t poor! So, in those circumstances, it is embedded in ones mind at an early age to keep up appearances in order to fit with in with the Jones or whoever is in that same stature so maybe it will rub off on him or her one day! I can go on and on, but I think you get the idea what I’m talking about! And about my friend, he's doing well and living in a nice big home with the 3 car garage, golf clubs in his BMW, a beautiful wife, kids and of course, a pure breed dog too to boot, come to find out, he's a real smart dude and working for a company called TRW, which is an engineering think tank and earning $500 an hour, yes an hour! We just visited them last year on our vacation! So, they're now the..... Mr. & Mrs. Jones of their neighborhood! No, we don’t live like that here in the Philippines where we live today, but others still do! Hey, I still drive a 1979 Toyota Corolla and there's a lot of Filipino "the Jones" type "wanna be" all around us in our neighborhood! Do you think I care? Hell no! Been there, done that long ago!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
No, we don’t live like that here in the Philippines where we live today, but others still do! Hey, I still drive a 1979 Toyota Corolla and there's a lot of Filipino "the Jones" type "wanna be" all around us in our neighborhood! Do you think I care? Hell no! Been there, done that long ago!
Art the quoted part of the post proves my whole point, you do not live like that in the Philippines, and do not care what others think, so no one has to live like that in the states eithe,r and I sure do not care what others may think. As many of you know, we bought a run of the mill condo in Cebu, and while I could have easily afforded to buy a top of the line condo in Cebu, I did not wish among those who think they are better than everyone else. I have friends who live in mansions on an island and I have friends who used to knock down two, three or even four times what I made a year, and I also have friends who live. or lived in a mobile home park, I also have friends who are renters and never wish to own, or cannot afford to do so. It is not what you have, it is the person themselves and what they are. So in the Philippines some of my friends are, or were the guards at our building, and some are, or were salesman, and yet others are doctors and dentists, and yet others are police officers, and yet others are police higher ups, and yet others are news people, and others work in banks, etc, etc, and I cherish each and everyone of them the same, no matter what they own, what they drive, or what stature in life they have acquired, and most of my friends feel the same about me, so no one has to keep up with the Jones IMHO, so therefore they do not have to move to the Philippines to get away from having to keep up with the Jones. Oh and as for living or visiting, there is a big difference between the issues a person who is living somewhere, to just visiting. Edited by Kuya Lee
delete last sentence because it did not belong in this post

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
No, we don’t live like that here in the Philippines where we live today, but others still do! Hey, I still drive a 1979 Toyota Corolla and there's a lot of Filipino "the Jones" type "wanna be" all around us in our neighborhood! Do you think I care? Hell no! Been there, done that long ago!
Art the quoted part of the post proves my whole point, you do not live like that in the Philippines, and do not care what others think, so no one has to live like that in the states eithe,r and I sure do not care what others may think. As many of you know, we bought a run of the mill condo in Cebu, and while I could have easily afforded to buy a top of the line condo in Cebu, I did not wish among those who think they are better than everyone else. I have friends who live in mansions on an island and I have friends who used to knock down two, three or even four times what I made a year, and I also have friends who live. or lived in a mobile home park, I also have friends who are renters and never wish to own, or cannot afford to do so. It is not what you have, it is the person themselves and what they are. So in the Philippines some of my friends are, or were the guards at our building, and some are, or were salesman, and yet others are doctors and dentists, and yet others are police officers, and yet others are police higher ups, and yet others are news people, and others work in banks, etc, etc, and I cherish each and everyone of them the same, no matter what they own, what they drive, or what stature in life they have acquired, and most of my friends feel the same about me, so no one has to keep up with the Jones IMHO, so therefore they do not have to move to the Philippines to get away from having to keep up with the Jones. Oh and as for living or visiting, there is a big difference between the issues a person who is living somewhere, to just visiting. Oh, as to your problem, I answered that, leave it alone beyond winning in court.
Seems like your rebuttal is way from the opposite to my post, you're throwing in all different types of people in different lifestyles into one basket, which I didn't really go into! Of course there are all those other types of people you mentioned, but I was just centering my subject concerning "the Jones" of the world and how many people wanting to get up there too, nothing more, nothing less! Simple to explain living verses to visiting, it has the same outcome! "You came and now you're gone"! How much more different can that be? The same experiences can still be had in a short or long period of time! Anyways, who's counting, it's all about "for the moment in time", where it could have lasted a life time in just a flicker in time, like a dream that just flashed before your eyes and is gone in an instant just like that! I better quit taking those daily short naps in the late afternoons! What's that last sentence about? It doesn't involve me, I have no problems or case in court! Edited by Art2ro

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Without girls in the picture, I still think the Philippines would be a great place to live or hang out. Scuba diving and beaches are top notch. The environment is very laid back. They share my preferences in sports. They have great live bands, and cheap liquor. I don't like life back home in the West because it's not densely populated enough. people are too far apart. It's not exciting and it's not very interesting. I'm from Canada though. It's pretty boring up there sometimes. More people often means more fun, businesses, and opportunities. Philippines is a nice balance for having people, but having quietness.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Art the quoted part of the post proves my whole point, you do not live like that in the Philippines, and do not care what others think, so no one has to live like that in the states eithe,r and I sure do not care what others may think. As many of you know, we bought a run of the mill condo in Cebu, and while I could have easily afforded to buy a top of the line condo in Cebu, I did not wish among those who think they are better than everyone else. I have friends who live in mansions on an island and I have friends who used to knock down two, three or even four times what I made a year, and I also have friends who live. or lived in a mobile home park, I also have friends who are renters and never wish to own, or cannot afford to do so. It is not what you have, it is the person themselves and what they are. So in the Philippines some of my friends are, or were the guards at our building, and some are, or were salesman, and yet others are doctors and dentists, and yet others are police officers, and yet others are police higher ups, and yet others are news people, and others work in banks, etc, etc, and I cherish each and everyone of them the same, no matter what they own, what they drive, or what stature in life they have acquired, and most of my friends feel the same about me, so no one has to keep up with the Jones IMHO, so therefore they do not have to move to the Philippines to get away from having to keep up with the Jones. Oh and as for living or visiting, there is a big difference between the issues a person who is living somewhere, to just visiting. Oh, as to your problem, I answered that, leave it alone beyond winning in court.
Seems like your rebuttal is way from the opposite to my post, you're throwing in all different types of people in different lifestyles into one basket, which I didn't really go into! Of course there are all those other types of people you mentioned, but I was just centering my subject concerning "the Jones" of the world and how many people wanting to get up there too, nothing more, nothing less! Simple to explain living verses to visiting, it has the same outcome! "You came and now you're gone"! How much more different can that be? The same experiences can still be had in a short or long period of time! Anyways, who's counting, it's all about "for the moment in time", where it could have lasted a life time in just a flicker in time, like a dream that just flashed before your eyes and is gone in an instant just like that! I better quit taking those daily short naps in the late afternoons! What's that last sentence about? It doesn't involve me, I have no problems or case in court!
Sorry Art, my mind wondered and I added in the last sentence with a different thought trend and meant for someone else. For the rest I guess it is as you always say, different strokes for different folks, so we all seem to think differently on topics at times.

gapotwo
Posted
Posted (edited)

I never had to work a day in my life until i came to america.and worked every day since,trying to keep up with all that plastic and tomorrows cash. well enough of that, because its time to put that PATEK PHILIPPE back on my wrist and pick up where i left off in the pinas.why? cuz work sucks. took me 30 plus years to realize that i should have stayed home and took care of business there.but live and learn, i have, see you there.:36_1_68[1]: EJ.

Edited by gapotwo

Jake
Posted
Posted
I never had to work a day in my life until i came to america.and worked every day since,trying to keep up with all that plastic and tomorrows cash. well enough of that, because its time to put that PATEK PHILIP back on my wrist and pick up where i left off in the pinas.why? cuz work sucks. took me 30 plus years to realize that i should have stayed home and took care of business there.but live and learn, i have, see you there.:36_1_68[1]: EJ.
Exactly my thoughts EJ! Worked to the bones to earn a lousy buck. And to turn around to waste the hard earnedmoney on pursuit of false happiness. Just for once, I would like to establish a savings account compounded withwith a few hundred bucks each and every month. And still enjoy a cold San Magoo or two, travel to exotic placesand completely retire on island time. See ya there my friend and have that pitcher of MoJo waiting for me......Jake