Why Are Some Filipino Nicknames Often Doubled?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

:36_1_68[1]: I am not sure if this is countrywide or just is the Visayas, but so many people that I have met in the Philippines, including relatives, have a double nickname and the nickname often have nothing to do with the real name..... Example, one of my nephews name is Junriel and they call him JoJo, an Albert we know is BitBit, and Bob's gf Kristine is CheChe, and so on and so on. Now I am not making fun of this, but I have often wondered where this custom came from? and why make names larger and double instead of smaller? I would think Junriel would be Jun and Albert would be Al, etc.Anyone know how this started and why?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
:th_exactly: I am not sure if this is countrywide or just is the Visayas, but so many people that I have met in the Philippines, including relatives, have a double nickname and the nickname often have nothing to do with the real name..... Example, one of my nephews name is Junriel and they call him JoJo, an Albert we know is BitBit, and Bob's gf Kristine is CheChe, and so on and so on. Now I am not making fun of this, but I have often wondered where this custom came from? and why make names larger and double instead of smaller? I would think Junriel would be Jun and Albert would be Al, etc.Anyone know how this started and why?
I dont know the answer to your question but here is another,why does the females middle name become what was their last name when they marry? :36_1_68[1]:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

About the Nickname doubling it seems common around Manila. Could it be that because Filipinos love to sing? Or those names with rhyme or that are clever; cute would be attractive to Filipino culture? Have you noticed the spelling of

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I thought a Filipina would replace her middle name with her maiden name while taking her husband

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I thought a Filipina would replace her middle name with her maiden name while taking her husband's name in marriage.Let me get my head around this,,,Yes thats right,my wifes maiden name is now her middle name,her last name is my last name.Strewth, lucky I have not had to much to drink or the confusion might have blown us away. SugarwareZ-005.gif

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Oh it

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I know that I am confused, because I really do not know the real names of most of my relatives. :wacko: When I first got married to my wife, I tried hard to call everyone by their name and then came the dong and di and manoy and, and, and, and I am so lost by now that I just say hi. :36_1_68[1]: As for the last name becoming the middle name, that is Spanish culture and I have seen people with 5 names and I guess that means they had 3 fathers, but I am not sure what that really means? One guy who I met, could not fit all his names on his Florida drivers license and had to carry an addendum card. :wacko:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Oh it's not just you, Bossman. :wacko: I'm darn confused after re-reading my answer to your post. However I think you may have accidentally answered Lee's original question. Filipinas need nicknames because their names change so much or it's all a plot to confuse gentlemen foreigners of a certain age.
NoI asked my own question at the bottom of Lee's post which you answered to the middle name and last name thing.lol, it dont matter and I haven't reached the certain age yet ( I hope) 5387.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
NoI asked my own question at the bottom of Lee's post which you answered to the middle name and last name thing.lol, it dont matter and I haven't reached the certain age yet ( I hope) 5387.gif
Why worry about it guys, just drink some more beer. :36_1_68[1]: :th_exactly: :angry: :thumbsup:

Mik
Posted
Posted

I asked my wife about doubled nicknames and she said, "Because that's the way it is."