Why Are Some Filipino Nicknames Often Doubled?

Ginamos
Posted
Posted

As I understand it, Philippine languages are part of the the Malayo-Polynesian language group, and commonly repetition denotes plural. From articles on linguistics that I've read the language group was formed probably in south China, the peoples were then forced out by other migrating groups, first to Taiwan (Taiwanese aborigines) and then to the Philippines and onto Indonesia, Pacific Islands, Madagascar etc. in succeeding migrations.I know in the case of nicknames this wouldn't be relevant, but I guess word repetition has a higher profile in these languages, than it does in say Indo-European languages.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
:th_exactly: I am not sure if this is countrywide or just is the Visayas, but so many people that I have met in the Philippines, including relatives, have a double nickname and the nickname often have nothing to do with the real name..... Example, one of my nephews name is Junriel and they call him JoJo, an Albert we know is BitBit, and Bob's gf Kristine is CheChe, and so on and so on. Now I am not making fun of this, but I have often wondered where this custom came from? and why make names larger and double instead of smaller? I would think Junriel would be Jun and Albert would be Al, etc.Anyone know how this started and why?
I dont know the answer to your question but here is another,why does the females middle name become what was their last name when they marry? :36_1_68[1]:
Custom. They used to do that in some parts of the US too. Not so common now.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Oh it's not just you, Bossman. :wacko: I'm darn confused after re-reading my answer to your post. However I think you may have accidentally answered Lee's original question. Filipinas need nicknames because their names change so much or it's all a plot to confuse gentlemen foreigners of a certain age.
Their name only changes when they marry. There is no divorce so it only changes once. You are right that is pretty confusing.

Mike S
Posted
Posted
I asked my wife about doubled nicknames and she said, "Because that's the way it is."
Mike you get the prize (or rather your wife does) ...... that is an answer most given for an explanation of any given subject ...... or another is "that's the way we do it" ................ hahahahahaha ...... works for me

BobNChe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Good explanation! http://www.gutom.org/article540.htmlInteresting thing is that since many words or phrase in Cebuano get shortened in some way, most people here only use half of the doubled name anyway. Hence K's family calls her Che versus Che-Che! You can't win! LOLOLOL

Edited by BobNChe

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted
:SugarwareZ-037: I am not sure if this is countrywide or just is the Visayas, but so many people that I have met in the Philippines, including relatives, have a double nickname and the nickname often have nothing to do with the real name..... Example, one of my nephews name is Junriel and they call him JoJo, an Albert we know is BitBit, and Bob's gf Kristine is CheChe, and so on and so on. Now I am not making fun of this, but I have often wondered where this custom came from? and why make names larger and double instead of smaller? I would think Junriel would be Jun and Albert would be Al, etc.Anyone know how this started and why?
Just because that is the way it is SugarwareZ-004.gif Many of us are too poor to have much, so at least we can have nicknames. :7_4_17[1]: