Dogs As Livestock

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

My wife brought home another 'stray dog' today but the owner texted her to tell her to bring the dog back. They don't have a dog overpopulation problem in the hill country provinces. The owner told wifey that their big dog will be slaughtered for meat tomorrow and they are raising the pups for future food.I don't get why they eat dog. I suppose it is a way to handle the overpopulation that happened in the west before the spay and neuter campaign but goats eat cheaper and get meatier faster. But I cannot change the culture so I just look the other way and bring the dog back tomorrow. I did not want a third dog anyway. What will I do when all these dogs I have start to reproduce? Give them to the neighbors? Better to give them a goat I think.

brock
Posted
Posted

I thought I read somewhere that eating dog was against the law, and that it carried a 6 year prison sentance.I have eaten dog before, and at the time I thought to myself, The dog would have loved these bones, :emostrongbow:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Dog meat is delicious much better than any goat I have ever eaten. Westerners think of dogs in terms of family member-pets not a part of the food chain. I would not knowingly eat dog meat today but it is tasty.You are correct Brock, eating dog in Philippines is unlawful. I think because of the prevalence of distemper? Lets face it some Filipinos know real hunger and must utilize whatever protein they can get their hands on.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Its probably illegal in the cities but when did that stop anyone in the hill country? It is VERY prevalent and I'm not going to be able to change it. It is not done openly but at night in the back yard. Neighbors know. Barangay Captain probably gets a rib or two for looking the other way. Wink Wink,

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

While the thought of dogs or cats as livestock or food is repulsive to many of us, I have to wonder if the overpopulation of dogs and cats in some countries, and millions being destroyed yearly because of it, is the right way to go when those same animals could be shipped to nations where starvation and malnutrition seems to be the norm. Why not humanely put those millions of animals down and then can the meat and ship it over to those poor countries instead of cash, so those that wish to eat it, at least have that opportunity. If the animals are to die anyway, what is the sense of burying or burning the dead bodies, when they could be used as a food source? Estimated number of cats and dogs euthanized by shelters each year: 3-4 million (HSUS estimate) and that is just at the HSUS in the US, and does not take into account other agencies and other countries that put them down. What a terrible waste of a food source when people are starving all over the world. ohmy.gif

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
My wife brought home another 'stray dog' today but the owner text her to tell her to bring the dog back. They don't have a dog overpopulation problem in the hill country provinces. The owner told wife that their big dog will be slaughtered for meat tomorrow and they are raising the pups for future food.I don't get why they eat dog. I suppose it is a way to handle the overpopulation that happened in the west before the spay and neuter campaign but goats eat cheaper and get meatier faster. But I cannot change the culture so I just look the other way and bring the dog back tomorrow. I did not want a third dog anyway. What will I do when all these dogs I have start to reproduce? Give them to the neighbors? Better to give them a goat I think.
why not get the dog NEUTURED or FIXED? this way it saves unwanted animals from being born/produce .this is 1 way to reduce the number of animals being "used" for dinner . but again the CBCP or some other group may say thats its against "teachings" or Violations of their "rights". :emostrongbow: over the years I have read about people here in the RP who have consumed "dog "meat , shortly there after they caught RABIES.. just look in the archives of philstar.com about 2007/2008 Edited by ed villas

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
th_thholysheep.gif No thanks! Just keep the dog out of my Big Mac! th_signs083.gif

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
While the thought of dogs or cats as livestock or food is repulsive to many of us, I have to wonder if the overpopulation of dogs and cats in some countries, and millions being destroyed yearly because of it, is the right way to go when those same animals could be shipped to nations where starvation and malnutrition seems to be the norm. Why not humanely put those millions of animals down and then can the meat and ship it over to those poor countries instead of cash, so those that wish to eat it, at least have that opportunity. If the animals are to die anyway, what is the sense of burying or burning the dead bodies, when they could be used as a food source? Estimated number of cats and dogs euthanized by shelters each year: 3-4 million (HSUS estimate) and that is just at the HSUS in the US, and does not take into account other agencies and other countries that put them down. What a terrible waste of a food source when people are starving all over the world. ohmy.gif
I'm sure cost would be a big factor,besides dogs or any animal that is consumed would need to be suitable to eat and I don't think a dog shelter will be grading dogs like they do cattle.I doubt if an old dog would be good food just like you would not want a steak from a very old cow.Also the small amount of meat on a dog or cat would mean it would take a lot to make a stew.But having said that,look at how much meat is wasted every time a human dies,why cant dead bodies be taken from the morgue where they are refrigerated and stripped of all editable parts, grounded down,oven cooked and add a few veggies before canning.Any other far fetched ideas???7_4_17[1].gif

ekimswish
Posted
Posted (edited)
I'm sure cost would be a big factor,besides dogs or any animal that is consumed would need to be suitable to eat and I don't think a dog shelter will be grading dogs like they do cattle.I doubt if an old dog would be good food just like you would not want a steak from a very old cow.Also the small amount of meat on a dog or cat would mean it would take a lot to make a stew.But having said that,look at how much meat is wasted every time a human dies,why cant dead bodies be taken from the morgue where they are refrigerated and stripped of all editable parts, grounded down,oven cooked and add a few veggies before canning.Any other far fetched ideas???7_4_17[1].gif
You want far-fetched? I just heard on the Daily Show that Japanese scientists can now make hamburger meat from poo. Yeah..... The only downside is it's five times more expensive than real meat. On another show, I heard a prominent scientist say in the future we won't even need the animal breeding for meat we now have. They'll just be, what's it called, genetically cloning/harvesting certain parts of the body we want for food, minus the mega-farms and mega-pollution. Edited by ekimswish

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

why cant dead bodies be taken from the morgue where they are refrigerated and stripped of all editable parts, grounded down,oven cooked and add a few veggies before canning.
Soylent GreenIts been done, in a movie at least.