2 Americans Abducted In Southern Philippines

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

So I guess once again this shows that area is not too safe to visit for many of us round eyes. :unsure:

More than a dozen armed men abducted a naturalized American, her teenage son and Filipino nephew before dawn Tuesday from a southern Philippine island near a stronghold of Al Qaeda-linked militants, officials said.Suspicion fell on the notorious Abu Sayyaf, which has been blamed for ransom kidnappings, beheadings and bombings in the last two decades, or a Muslim rebel commander whose group has been linked to previous abductions.

The 400-plus Abu Sayyaf militants, who are fighting for an Islamist state in the predominantly Christian nation, are holding three other kidnap victims, including a child, as part of desparate efforts to raise funds, according to the Philippine army.The assailants seized Gerfa Yeatts Lunsmann, her 14-year-old son and 19-year-old Filipino nephew from a house in Zamboanga city's Tictabon island village, then fled with their captives in two motorized boats, said police Senior Superintendent Edwin de Ocampo.

Link to this story

sjp52
Posted
Posted

It just blows my mind that foreigners continue to go to these places. There has been so many warnings about these places but people think they are bullet proof and it can not happen to them. They have no one to blame but themselves.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Something is not adding up here. Read the article carefully. The only "Round Eye" or close to it would be the 14 year old son. The husband was not even there. I would consider the 14 year old son to be the only foreigner. The woman is originally from Basilan. . Looks like a perfect setup for a kidnap-ransom. What husband would not pay to get his family back? A worse scenario would be she is possibly a muslim woman who married outside her religion? More than a dozen armed men abducted a naturalized American, her teenage son and Filipino nephew before dawn Tuesday from a southern Philippine island near a stronghold of Al Qaeda-linked militants, officials said. Suspicion fell on the notorious Abu Sayyaf, which has been blamed for ransom kidnappings, beheadings and bombings in the last two decades, or a Muslim rebel commander whose group has been linked to previous abductions. The 400-plus Abu Sayyaf militants, who are fighting for an Islamist state in the predominantly Christian nation, are holding three other kidnap victims, including a child, as part of desperate efforts to raise funds, according to the Philippine army. The assailants seized Gerfa Yeatts Lunsmann, her 14-year-old son and 19-year-old Filipino nephew from a house in Zamboanga city's Tictabon island village, then fled with their captives in two motorized boats, said police Senior Superintendent Edwin de Ocampo. No contact or ransom demand has been made by the abductors, and their identities remain unconfirmed, de Ocampo said. It happened near Basilan Island, the birthplace and stronghold of the Abu Sayyaf militants, about 550 miles south of Manila. The largest Muslim separatist group, Moro Islamic Liberation Front, is present in the area but it has been negotiating with the government and a cease-fire has largely held for several years. However, the military said a separatist Moro commander identified as Waning Abdulsalam may have been responsible. Rebel spokesman Von Al Haq said his group would investigate but that it has no such report and will not tolerate criminal activities. Police earlier said the woman was a Filipino married to a German and the family lives in the U.S. state of Virginia. But army Col. Buenaventura Pascual, commander of an anti-terrorist task force in Zamboanga, said his men on Tictabon Island saw the U.S. passports of Lunsmann and her son, showing they were American citizens. The State Department said it was aware of reports that two U.S. citizens have been abducted and was working with Philippine authorities. The department said it was concerned about the individuals' safety and well-being, and called for their immediate release and prosecution of those responsible. Lunsmann, 50, was originally from Basilan and her previous name was Jerpa Usman, Philippine police and military officials said. Pascual said the woman's husband is apparently an American citizen of German ancestry. He did not accompany his wife and son, who arrived in the Philippines two weeks ago to visit relatives. "We have deployed troops to track down the victims," Pascual said. Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said the local crisis committee was convened and that police and the military were trying to rescue the victims and capture the culprits. Military spokesman Lt. Col. Randolph Cabangbang said intelligence reports showed the victims may have been brought to Basilan's Tuburuan township.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

FlyAway, :unsure: I was waiting for someone else to notice that, because some say I am too cynical, so I was sure someone else would pick up on it and bring it into question. Could this be yet another foreigner getting ripped off by his extended family? I wonder if he is rich and is also cheap? I guess we might never know. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

sjp52
Posted
Posted

why does the government allow these terrorist groups to go on for years and years. I heard that a while back the US offered to help get rid of them and the government turned down their offer for help.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
FlyAway, :unsure: I was waiting for someone else to notice that, because some say I am too cynical, so I was sure someone else would pick up on it and bring it into question. Could this be yet another foreigner getting ripped off by his extended family? I wonder if he is rich and is also cheap? I guess we might never know. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
I don't see the problem,the term round eye came from Lee not the story. Is it not possible since the woman lives in the US that she acquired her citizenship thus now being a US citizenship? Perhaps she is wealthy or perceived to be so perfect for holding for ransom.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
It just blows my mind that foreigners continue to go to these places. There has been so many warnings about these places but people think they are bullet proof and it can not happen to them. They have no one to blame but themselves.
I think you really have to study the map and understand where places are and what is usually a dangerous area. I will be going to Zamboanga City next year just like the many foreigners that live there but I will only be staying long enough to meet the wife's family,not because I am worried about kidnapping or anything its just that I have other things to work on at the time.

sjp52
Posted
Posted
I think you really have to study the map and understand where places are and what is usually a dangerous area. I will be going to Zamboanga City next year just like the many foreigners that live there but I will only be staying long enough to meet the wife's family,not because I am worried about kidnapping or anything its just that I have other things to work on at the time.
From what I read that latest kidnapping of the 2 US citizens happened in Zamboanga City right inside their house at 3 am. So I think you will be safe as they already have some one Have a safe triphttp://www.journal.com.ph/index.php/news/top-stories/9305-rescue-efforts-for-kidnapped-us-citizens-on

tbplayer
Posted
Posted

My wife is from Iligan city, and we haven't been back there in a couple of years, was wondering if anyone thinks it would be safe enough to take our baby there once he is born, or do you think the muslim problem reaches that far where it would be a danger to my child. I love the Philippines, just wish the government there would do something about the terrorist problems there

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
My wife is from Iligan city, and we haven't been back there in a couple of years, was wondering if anyone thinks it would be safe enough to take our baby there once he is born, or do you think the muslim problem reaches that far where it would be a danger to my child. I love the Philippines, just wish the government there would do something about the terrorist problems there
That is actually a hard question to answer in advance of the time you will be going back. I try to stay out of there because local friends recently told me it is not totally safe, so I think you will probably have to wait until the time gets closer and decide then. They did have at least one bombing there last year that I know of. Maybe one of the members who lives closer can give you a better idea of what they think. Let me add, maybe best to trust your wife's families opinion. Edited by Kuya Lee
add