2 Americans Abducted In Southern Philippines

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
It just blows my mind that foreigners continue to go to these places. There has been so many warnings about these places but people think they are bullet proof and it can not happen to them. They have no one to blame but themselves.
I think you really have to study the map and understand where places are and what is usually a dangerous area. I will be going to Zamboanga City next year just like the many foreigners that live there but I will only be staying long enough to meet the wife's family,not because I am worried about kidnapping or anything its just that I have other things to work on at the time.
From what I read that latest kidnapping of the 2 US citizens happened in Zamboanga City right inside their house at 3 am. So I think you will be safe as they already have some one Have a safe triphttp://www.journal.c...-us-citizens-on
Here is a map reference to clear up the location which shows that Sacol Island is not in the city but rather an island off the mainland. Generally the city is safe but like anywhere,things can happen.Map http://itouchmap.com...-3372936&DG=ISL

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Not to nitpick, but using the term "round eye" isn't really applicable in the Philippines, since they typically have very big, beautiful eyes. I think having some Asian features along with big "round eyes" is one makes Filipinas especially attractive to Westerners. Calling us round eyes is dangerously close to calling Asians "slanty eyes", which everyone could agree is offensive. I know you mean no harm, Lee. It's just a bit confusing to me, as I've been around Asia, and notice Filipinos to typically have the furthest thing from slanty eyes, and I know that isn't your intent. Sorry if I'm being a nag.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Not to nitpick, but using the term "round eye" isn't really applicable in the Philippines, since they typically have very big, beautiful eyes. I think having some Asian features along with big "round eyes" is one makes Filipinas especially attractive to Westerners. Calling us round eyes is dangerously close to calling Asians "slanty eyes", which everyone could agree is offensive. I know you mean no harm, Lee. It's just a bit confusing to me, as I've been around Asia, and notice Filipinos to typically have the furthest thing from slanty eyes, and I know that isn't your intent. Sorry if I'm being a nag.
Sorry if my wording has been offensive to anyone, but I always was taught that when it comes from someone of the same culture, then not to take it as offensive. So my friend, it is never a problem when members voice their opinions, so thank you for bringing it up. During my younger years growing up with many Asians, I had that instilled into me that I was a round eye and that was the main difference. Most Filipinos I know do not have slanted eyes, yet they do not have full round eyes, yet many of the men look more Hispanic IMHO and the women seem to look more Asian. I never mean anything I write in a derogatory meaning toward people, but since there is a wide variety of white, black and partially dark foreigners and everything in between living in the Philippines, as well as many from Asian cultures, maybe one of you can come up with a better term to put on them all besides round eye that you all feel would be less offensive, but would still mean those of us who obviously stand out, whereas many Asians do not stand out anywhere as much as many of the people like myself do. I am open for suggestions and I will gladly change my wording if any of you can come up with a good descriptive word because non Filipino will obviously not work. Again I am sorry if I offended anyone!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I am open for suggestions and I will gladly change my wording if any of you can come up with a good descriptive word
I say this primarily in jest but last night, as Dona and I were watching tv, she asked me why me and so many other foreign men (live the actors on the show) had such skinny lips. I told her that we are all just normal and she had 'full' and beautiful lips but the thought stuck, we could call white males "Skinny Lips"

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Westerners seems to fit the bill.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I know Lee. Not for a single moment did I ever think you meant it in an offensive way, and I think if you were in Korea, Vietnam, China, or Japan, it would be a more applicable (though maybe still a little offensive to some) term. In those countries I would understand, but I've always though Filipinos have very big, round eyes, one of the things making them such a good looking bunch. Sorry if I'm starting to sound racist, now, lol.Westerner.... foreigner... they're the easy ones. Whitey is offensive to non-white Westerners though, even if "whiteys" stick out more. Sorry guys. This is WAY off topic.... I'll shut up now.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I know Lee. Not for a single moment did I ever think you meant it in an offensive way, and I think if you were in Korea, Vietnam, China, or Japan, it would be a more applicable (though maybe still a little offensive to some) term. In those countries I would understand, but I've always though Filipinos have very big, round eyes, one of the things making them such a good looking bunch. Sorry if I'm starting to sound racist, now, lol.Westerner.... foreigner... they're the easy ones. Whitey is offensive to non-white Westerners though, even if "whiteys" stick out more. Sorry guys. This is WAY off topic.... I'll shut up now.
Foreigner can really apply to Asian as well,Korean expats, Chinese expats etc

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Sorry if my wording has been offensive to anyone, but I always was taught that when it comes from someone of the same culture, then not to take it as offensive. So my friend, it is never a problem when members voice their opinions, so thank you for bringing it up. During my younger years growing up with many Asians, I had that instilled into me that I was a round eye and that was the main difference. Most Filipinos I know do not have slanted eyes, yet they do not have full round eyes, yet many of the men look more Hispanic IMHO and the women seem to look more Asian. I never mean anything I write in a derogatory meaning toward people, but since there is a wide variety of white, black and partially dark foreigners and everything in between living in the Philippines, as well as many from Asian cultures, maybe one of you can come up with a better term to put on them all besides round eye that you all feel would be less offensive, but would still mean those of us who obviously stand out, whereas many Asians do not stand out anywhere as much as many of the people like myself do. I am open for suggestions and I will gladly change my wording if any of you can come up with a good descriptive word because non Filipino will obviously not work. Again I am sorry if I offended anyone!
The slang word "round eye" has been around since the Korean War and was invented by G.I.s during the war, it is a description for the "white American males only" by Asians during the Korean War! I don't know what slang word you would call other black or white foreigners from other countries unless one can guess what their nationalities are, like black Americans, Brit, Swed, Aussie etc! "Round eye" is specifically owned by the American white males! So Lee, round eye is OK if that was your intention to describe the white American male!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
The slang word "round eye" has been around since the Korean War and was invented by G.I.s during the war, it is a description for the "white American males only" by Asians during the Korean War! I don't know what slang word you would call other black or white foreigners from other countries unless one can guess what their nationalities are, like black Americans, Brit, Swed, Aussie etc! "Round eye" is specifically owned by the American white males! So Lee, round eye is OK if that was your intention to describe the white American male!
OK all, well it seems I have stuck my food in my mouth (keyboard) once again, so while I do not see Westerner as the correct term to describe them all, maybe it might just be best for me to not post in topics where I cannot find the proper words to fit the bill. :) Back to the topic, has anyone read any other news updating the original story? I hope they are OK.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
If that's the background of the word, created by Asians (Koreans) to describe us (whites.... no difference... we come from Europe anyways), then I would have to admit that I might be wrong here. I always thought white guys calling themselves round eyes was a dig at Asians having "slant eyes." If it's genuinely an Asian creation, then I guess no harm no foul. My bad. @Lee: I know you would never try to offend anyone, so no need to apologize or watch what you say. It's just me nitpicking.