Apart From Family..

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

Has anyone done anything for other folk in the P'pines like...Buy kids around Sari store nibbles or soft drinks...Take kids off the street into Jollibee and buy them a meal..Buy young girl some clothes for her school party cos 'dad' has buggered offPay for a kids' dengue fever treatment..Pay for a woman to have cataracts removed..Buy crutches for a man who had half a leg amputated..At Christmas...bought 50 k's sack of rice, split it into 1k bags with pack of noodles and sardines and made up 70 odd bags of chocolate, candy and nibbles to give kids...

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Has anyone done anything for other folk in the P'pines like...Buy kids around Sari store nibbles or soft drinks...Take kids off the street into Jollibee and buy them a meal..Buy young girl some clothes for her school party cos 'dad' has buggered offPay for a kids' dengue fever treatment..Pay for a woman to have cataracts removed..Buy crutches for a man who had half a leg amputated..At Christmas...bought 50 k's sack of rice, split it into 1k bags with pack of noodles and sardines and made up 70 odd bags of chocolate, candy and nibbles to give kids...
Among other things we provide food packages for some of the local families during our visits.This is just my opinion; it would be unadvisable as a Foreigner male to have any direct dealings with local children no matter your good intentions. To do so without your wife or other close trusted Filipina family member at your side would be foolish in the extreme, better yet let her handle those details and stay in the background.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I give 5 pesos a day to the local mentally challenged teenager. I give my "annoying change" to the kids outside 711 when in the city. I wish I had more money to do more, but I'm struggling to support my own family at the moment. But, yeah, we've helped people when needed, and occassionally when not.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

where i used to live in Mandaluyong, there was a "clinic" that was open til 9pm some nights,, My "gift" was 2 bottle of Vitamins . so he could give a few to those who needed them.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

1 Buy kids around Sari store nibbles or soft drinks...2 Take kids off the street into Jollibee and buy them a meal..3 Buy young girl some clothes for her school party cos 'dad' has buggered off4 Pay for a kids' dengue fever treatment..5 Pay for a woman to have cataracts removed..6 Buy crutches for a man who had half a leg amputated..7 At Christmas...bought 50 k's sack of rice, split it into 1k bags with pack of noodles and sardines and made up 70 odd bags of chocolate, candy and nibbles to give kids.
1. Yes, Ice candy used to work great as you could buy for 20 kids for 20 pesos. Price really fluctuates on that stuff depending where you buy it.2. Yes. Next time there were 10 times as many kids targeting me at that spot. They remember.3. No but I gave an old, old, woman 100 pesos for a new dress as she was wearing the same sack every day I jogged buy. She bought food for the neighborhood. I know because they all told me the next day and asked when the next donation was coming. The woman always had her hand out when I went buy after that.4. Yes, anonymously with a group. It works great that way.5. If the woman can afford a catilac she don't need my dough. But seriously, no6. Similar at Halloween. Some appreciate it and some just say Is this all?

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Oh yeah, we butchered one of our hybrid pigs and gave the meat out to everyone down our street, which is the poorest street in town. I hope it meant something to them, or helped win us the benefit of the doubt against any negative gossip, but who knows. We did it so people would also watch out for us in case of any danger or schemes that might be plotted. Nothing bad's happened to us, so maybe it worked, or maybe the people are just more concerned with their own lives to bother with ours. We're not the sun, afterall, but it feels good to have given anyways, for whatever reason. Then again, I'm sure any foreigner has bought lechon or the like on their first trip to meet the wife's friends and family.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Yes my wife and I used to give coins to the poor, but now only loafs of bread or skyflakes when we see someone sleeping in the street who also looks undernourished, and we have bought a fast food meal for quite a few over the years and handed to them. I do toss coins in the cups of those beggars who are obviously handicapped from time to time, but nowadays never give money to able bodied people, at least not for the last five years or so. I have also taken out a number of the guards at our building drinking and bought them snacks etc, and often buy them fast food and drinks while out and bring it back to them. My wife also makes coffee for some of the guards who work 24 hour shifts, to help them stay awake. We also give out used clothing to quite a few of the poor besides my wife's family. I donate to Bruce's charity at times so he can help the poor with meds and operations. We have done many other things over the years as well, so I guess basically the answer is yes.

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

Fabulous to see there's good hearted folk here.I never donate to 'appeals'...floods, and such things...rather see where my money is going personally than entrust it to others

Braddo
Posted
Posted

When we go home each year we always have a party or three and invite the villages people to come along for a feed we give the kids chocolotes and bags of lollies from Australia they luv emIced candy is free to all while we are there main reasom I had to buy a chest freezer this year to keep up with the load :23_11_62[1]: We give out bags of rice and tin fish to the village people sometimes I will pay to put a new nepa roof on a house if leaking bad enoughWe always give our small change to the kids in the city and buy bread rolls to hand out to the woman beggersMost of the people around our area are wearing my wifes and my clothes also hats and T shirts I get from work as give awaysI did give a mentaly ill man two pair of cargo pants, he was trying to steal mine while we were waiting for a van to pick us up to go to the city I found out later that he sold them both for two packets of smokes :(My wife and I do our best to try and give a little to alot of folk that need it unfortunatly like everyone else there are just too many people in need for us to help allRegards Braddo

Travis
Posted
Posted

I never had much to give because I was on a tight budget but I did give coins to the handicapped who sat on the sidewalk with a cup out & was missing a leg or arms or eyes. I also gave a lot of things to the guards at the building I lived in when I left. I tried to sell stuff but when a few kanos who were not Americans came over to look they were so cheap with their offers that I tossed the cheap bastards out & gave it away instead