Small Changes To Make Philippines More Attractive To Tourists.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

What small or easy to implement changes you can think of that would make Philippines more of a tourist destination? First thing that comes to mind for me (a yearly visitor) are airports. Clean functioning comfort rooms and secure organized departure areas free of predatory baggage porters and taxi drivers would be an easy fix. Over the past ten years CEB has cracked down on the overly aggressive porters. Cabs at the airport are still a problem at times from what I have been told.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
What small or easy to implement changes you can think of that would make Philippines more of a tourist destination? First thing that comes to mind for me (a yearly visitor) are airports. Clean functioning comfort rooms and secure organized departure areas free of predatory baggage porters and taxi drivers would be an easy fix. Over the past ten years CEB has cracked down on the overly aggressive porters. Cabs at the airport are still a problem at times from what I have been told.
I dont know about other airports in the Philippines but at Cebu I found the rest rooms clean in the arrivals area and had no problem with baggage porters to date. I think all the private run hire cars as they call them have a set rate so most know what it will be or can just say no.Departures seemed OK to me too but maybe others have had different experiences.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

No problems with Manila airports.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

No problem with Cebu or Manila airport that I can think of other than they could use more comfortable benches. Maybe they could add some padding to them for comfort. Cagayan de Oro airport Lumbia needs a lot to be improved, but once Laguindingan International Airport opens up, all that should change, yet it would be less convenient for my wife and I to go to and from.

Candyman
Posted
Posted
What small or easy to implement changes you can think of that would make Philippines more of a tourist destination?
One small addition to both Manila and Cebu in particular, is the implementation of more rubbish bins throughout the city, and the education of the people to discourage littering. I realize that anything not bolted down would sprout legs and walk, but they can easily have a rubbish bin that could be locked, to a small post, as they do in many small towns in Australia, so as only the garbage collector could remove it ! There is a distinct lack of rubbish bins all over the Philippines, and I think if this change was implemented, along with the education of people to use them, would make an enormous difference to the visual impact of both cities.

Travis
Posted
Posted

do away with short contracts for employees so they learn their jobs so less out of stock sir when item is sitting right there on the shelffood servers & cooks learn to prepare all meals at the same time instead of coming out 1 at a timeget rid of the rats & army of roaches do to garbage all over the placehave rules that owners of properties have to keep them up which would mean presure cleaning & painting when they look like hellenforce stop signs & traffic lightsteach people manners so they do not block up mall isles chatting & textingfix infastructure so they do not have wires hanging all over the streets & so phones & dsls actually work all the time & provide speeds they claim they domake English a mandatory language for all to learnget rid of all the trash taxisget all the girlybars off main roads & put them all in 1 locationbig 1 get rid of beggarsclean up corruptionI am sure there is much more but that is all I can think of right now

Jake
Posted
Posted
do away with short contracts for employees so they learn their jobs so less out of stock sir when item is sitting right there on the shelffood servers & cooks learn to prepare all meals at the same time instead of coming out 1 at a timeget rid of the rats & army of roaches do to garbage all over the placehave rules that owners of properties have to keep them up which would mean presure cleaning & painting when they look like hellenforce stop signs & traffic lightsteach people manners so they do not block up mall isles chatting & textingfix infastructure so they do not have wires hanging all over the streets & so phones & dsls actually work all the time & provide speeds they claim they domake English a mandatory language for all to learnget rid of all the trash taxisget all the girlybars off main roads & put them all in 1 locationbig 1 get rid of beggarsclean up corruptionI am sure there is much more but that is all I can think of right now
Dang, I was planning to go back to my native land within the next two years. But from the list above, looks like thatpart of the world is totally undesirable for retirement. Should I hold my breath until at least one item is resolved orshould I just learn how to adapt, improvise and overcome like a good US Marine??Jake

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

LMAO Jake , dont know about you, but most of the above are what make living in the phil different and exciting. if i wanted clean streets etc, i could stay in san diego

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Last year during our visit the fist comfort room you could use after departing the aircraft (customs area?) had an inch of water on the floor it made for a very bad first impression for those arriving first time. I was thinking of how the airport at Hong Kong and Inchon were so much nicer than in Philippines. If don't see how anyone thinks MNL is a good layout total mess from start to finish with what THREE terminals? My question was lame what I was aiming for were impressions of the country more or less for first time visitors.

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Haha...Travis, between Lee's, Kano obituary posts, and your animals in the zoo posts....I might need to go on some anti depressants if I keep reading this forum. :)This sounds more like living there problems versus tourists.Just do a google on Costa Rica and see how to promote tourism. Despite a shethole airport, bad cab drivers, beggers, crappy roads, traffic, dangerous areas and nobody that speaks English outside of the tourist spots, it is a tourist destination. Hmmm...wonder why?I believe the first step would be to actually PROMOTE it. The how's are easy enough. Medical tourism should be one goal. Start with old ugly western woman with big asses getting face lifts cheap, you know to make them look uglier with big asses, and then advance to knee replacements, and finally bypass surgeries.