Driving an old car in the Phl verses a new one

piglett
Posted
Posted

the question i have is does the "junk car" get the rite of way in the PIlet me explain, back about 10 years ago i took a night time job delivering pizza so i could save up some cash for a downpayment for my 1st house. what did i deliver in ..... a 1983 toyota tercel. it was a square old boxy looking thing that i gave the huge sum of $350 for. it ran great & whenever i needed to slip into another lane everyone would stop & let me ......why? because they figured that i really didn't care if my car got dented or not & truth be told they were 100% correct. so the question is if you have an old looking car/truck in the PI are the locals going to see that & let you into whatever lane you want to merge into with less problems than if you had say a brand new shiny car fresh from the dealers lot?piglett

Jake
Posted
Posted
the question i have is does the "junk car" get the rite of way in the PIlet me explain, back about 10 years ago i took a night time job delivering pizza so i could save up some cash for a downpayment for my 1st house. what did i deliver in ..... a 1983 toyota tercel. it was a square old boxy looking thing that i gave the huge sum of $350 for. it ran great & whenever i needed to slip into another lane everyone would stop & let me ......why? because they figured that i really didn't care if my car got dented or not & truth be told they were 100% correct. so the question is if you have an old looking car/truck in the PI are the locals going to see that & let you into whatever lane you want to merge into with less problems than if you had say a brand new shiny car fresh from the dealers lot?piglett
In most cases, it really doesn't matter what vehicle you drive in the Philippines. I have personally experienced themindset of a typical Filipino driver. Even high end SUV's and luxury cars are occupying both lanes, cutting you offor stopping in the middle of traffic with total disregard of courtesy or traffic rules. Jeepneys, taxis, tricycles and pedicabs are the real anarchist of the road. Bus drivers seem to have suicidal tendencies, the way they pass on blind curves or weaving through heavy traffic like they're driving a motorcycle. As I mentioned on my previous post, it's an open secret to drive in reverse to finish off the pedestrian they just ran over. Funeral cost is a lot cheaper than the bus company paying for prolong medical bills.Jake

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
You'll probably blend right in.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
the question is if you have an old looking car/truck in the PI are the locals going to see that & let you into whatever lane you want to merge into with less problems than if you had say a brand new shiny car fresh from the dealers lot?
Not in my experience. The drivers of the expensive cars will see you as a peon with no money which means they can crash into you and kill you for a payout of 50K and if you don't die you could not afford a lawyer to sue them anyway.

Inspector
Posted
Posted
You'll probably blend right in.
:dance:

Inspector
Posted
Posted

I was almost hit my a big bus today...arsehole comes out of a side street picking up students (bus for some Jesus school) and instead of doing the long way...goes down a one way street (even has a grass divider and the other side a one way the other direction). Well, I was walking the dog and looked behind me as i needed to go into a street (by the SM mall here, and not a busy street especially at 6 AM) because the sidewalk was impossible to pass and a SUV was parked on this street, and as soon as I seen the one way behind was clear I walked into the street to pass the SUV, and bam, a bus was 3 feet from me and the dog.... making the turn onto this one way and nearly picking off me and the dog. I yanked him to safety, kicked the bus with a follow up elbow and would of killed the guy if he stopped (yeah, so deport and blacklist me...I could care less) ...probably the most angry I have ever been in over 10 years. The rule of thumb here is...the bigger the vehicle, the right of way. And personally, I don't think it matters the age or how crappy the car is...there are times I wish I had a car again, but then you do drive around, and the stress just aint worth it. Even in the province there are simply too many obstacles to overcome, and I would be afraid of hitting a local...My grandmother lived in Brooklyn her whole life...never had a drivers license, and got around fine. I'm adhering to that philosophy while living here, and I have no problems with trikes, jeepneys and a cab when I don't want to be sweaty at the place where I am going to.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Well, I still have my 1979 Toyota Corolla since 1989 and she's still running fine and gets us around town. I hardly do any freeway or night driving unless I have to! We only use our little Toyota for grocery shopping once a week! Eventually we'll get another vehicle soon, but don't know yet what kind, new or used and get my old Toyota's engine overhauled so she will last a little longer, because she'll be our backup vehicle! I like older cars because their body frame are solid not like the newer ones now which have flimsy bodies and none of the built-in computer and electronic stuff. Parts are still readily available for my old '79 Corolla. post-682-0-21810800-1311926586_thumb.jpgpost-682-0-64157700-1311926664_thumb.jpgpost-682-0-93932800-1311926812_thumb.jpgpost-682-0-09371000-1311926885_thumb.jpgpost-682-0-10708900-1311927002_thumb.jpg

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Well, I still have my 1979 Toyota Corolla since 1989 and she's still running fine and gets us around town. I hardly do any freeway or night driving unless I have to! We only use our little Toyota for grocery shopping once a week! Eventually we'll get another vehicle soon, but don't know yet what kind, new or used and get my old Toyota's engine overhauled so she will last a little longer, because she'll be our backup vehicle! I like older cars because their body frame are solid not like the newer ones now which have flimsy bodies and none of the built-in computer and electronic stuff. Parts are still readily available for my old '79 Corolla. post-682-0-21810800-1311926586_thumb.jpgpost-682-0-64157700-1311926664_thumb.jpgpost-682-0-93932800-1311926812_thumb.jpgpost-682-0-09371000-1311926885_thumb.jpgpost-682-0-10708900-1311927002_thumb.jpg
I never knew you had a little red Toyota Art laugh.gif

piglett
Posted
Posted
looks like a nice little low key car , good for heading over to the store & doing whatever the family needs to do.another plus is the locals see you in that car & think "oh no point in robbing him he must be poor"& that's what i would want them to all think too!! piglett

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
Well, I still have my 1979 Toyota Corolla since 1989 and she's still running fine and gets us around town. I hardly do any freeway or night driving unless I have to! We only use our little Toyota for grocery shopping once a week! Eventually we'll get another vehicle soon, but don't know yet what kind, new or used and get my old Toyota's engine overhauled so she will last a little longer, because she'll be our backup vehicle! I like older cars because their body frame are solid not like the newer ones now which have flimsy bodies and none of the built-in computer and electronic stuff. Parts are still readily available for my old '79 Corolla.
I never knew you had a little red Toyota Art laugh.gif
Well Boss Man, when we first arrived in the Philippines in 1998 and lived in Olongapo City, "Little Red" was all I could afford at that time, because I only had 1 of my U.S. government pension. Now that I'm 62 and now have all of my other pensions, I still have "Little Red"! She's a keeper and so is the wife! :tiphat: Edited by Art2ro