Driving an old car in the Phl verses a new one

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I found an interesting story along these lines, I wonder what type of coercion they will use to get people to get rid of their cars? The second sentence does not seem to jive with the third. Retirement of old cars sought ENVIRONMENT Secretary Ramon Paje said retiring old cars would achieve a "quantum leap" for decongesting cities in the country that are facing heavy traffic and pollution, especially Metro Manila. As proposed by Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago, Senate Bill 2834 would in effect remove anywhere from 1.1 million to 2.2 million vehicles from the road in just one year. Under this program, the government will encourage owners to trade in older, less fuel efficient cars, trucks or sports utility vehicles for more fuel-efficient vehicles or to use mass transit.

Jake
Posted
Posted

Well, it looks good on paper at least. The key word is "encourage" which has the same resultsas encouraging honest and integrity within the government. The law of re-registering vehiclesalready exist but not necessarily enforce. Get rid of the smoke belchers by strict smog checks.Should I hold my breath......? Respectfully -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Oh no! Retire my "Little Red" Toyota! Heaven forbid! She's part of the family! :23_11_62[1]:

piglett
Posted
Posted
I found an interesting story along these lines, I wonder what type of coercion they will use to get people to get rid of their cars? The second sentence does not seem to jive with the third. Retirement of old cars sought ENVIRONMENT Secretary Ramon Paje said retiring old cars would achieve a "quantum leap" for decongesting cities in the country that are facing heavy traffic and pollution, especially Metro Manila. As proposed by Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago, Senate Bill 2834 would in effect remove anywhere from 1.1 million to 2.2 million vehicles from the road in just one year. Under this program, the government will encourage owners to trade in older, less fuel efficient cars, trucks or sports utility vehicles for more fuel-efficient vehicles or to use mass transit.
Well, it looks good on paper at least. The key word is "encourage" which has the same resultsas encouraging honest and integrity within the government. The law of re-registering vehiclesalready exist but not necessarily enforce. Get rid of the smoke belchers by strict smog checks.Should I hold my breath......? Respectfully -- Jake
Oh no! Retire my "Little Red" Toyota! Heaven forbid! She's part of the family! :23_11_62[1]:
the only question i have is who will get to pay for all of those new cars?most people who drive an old car do so because the don't have much moneymaybe the PI government will pay for all those new cars .....he he he ya rite piglett

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Get rid of the smoke belchers
Maybe they should also get rid of the old, cigar smoking politicians and vote in some new models that are more efficient.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
the question i have is does the "junk car" get the rite of way in the PIlet me explain, back about 10 years ago i took a night time job delivering pizza so i could save up some cash for a downpayment for my 1st house. what did i deliver in ..... a 1983 toyota tercel. it was a square old boxy looking thing that i gave the huge sum of $350 for. it ran great & whenever i needed to slip into another lane everyone would stop & let me ......why? because they figured that i really didn't care if my car got dented or not & truth be told they were 100% correct. so the question is if you have an old looking car/truck in the PI are the locals going to see that & let you into whatever lane you want to merge into with less problems than if you had say a brand new shiny car fresh from the dealers lot? piglett
My thoughts on Filipino culture. From my personal experience. Your personal experiences may give you a different opinion. The most important person, has right of way in all facets of life in the Philippines. This includes on the roads too. A person in old car will seem not important at all to a rich Filipino in an expensive 4 wheel drive and he will expect you to get out of his way. Foreigners rank about equal with pond scum so have no rights at all on the road. In fact in the past, there have been court rulings that the foreigner is at fault because if the foreigner had not been in the Philippines, the accident would not have happened. The only place I drive is out in the provinces on very quiet roads. However, I have an additional impediment that may not affect you!. The steering wheel is in the wrong side of the car for me. Regards: Jim

piglett
Posted
Posted
Get rid of the smoke belchers
Maybe they should also get rid of the old, cigar smoking politicians and vote in some new models that are more efficient.
the question i have is does the "junk car" get the rite of way in the PIlet me explain, back about 10 years ago i took a night time job delivering pizza so i could save up some cash for a downpayment for my 1st house. what did i deliver in ..... a 1983 toyota tercel. it was a square old boxy looking thing that i gave the huge sum of $350 for. it ran great & whenever i needed to slip into another lane everyone would stop & let me ......why? because they figured that i really didn't care if my car got dented or not & truth be told they were 100% correct. so the question is if you have an old looking car/truck in the PI are the locals going to see that & let you into whatever lane you want to merge into with less problems than if you had say a brand new shiny car fresh from the dealers lot? piglett
My thoughts on Filipino culture. From my personal experience. Your personal experiences may give you a different opinion. The most important person, has right of way in all facets of life in the Philippines. This includes on the roads too. A person in old car will seem not important at all to a rich Filipino in an expensive 4 wheel drive and he will expect you to get out of his way. Foreigners rank about equal with pond scum so have no rights at all on the road. In fact in the past, there have been court rulings that the foreigner is at fault because if the foreigner had not been in the Philippines, the accident would not have happened. The only place I drive is out in the provinces on very quiet roads. However, I have an additional impediment that may not affect you!. The steering wheel is in the wrong side of the car for me. Regards: Jim
Well as far as the politicians go maybe remove them & if you want new models , how about some super models :) :) :)I know there are plenty of hot chicks in the PI , i say put them in charge ...he he he When i am on vacation i am not in all that big of a hurry so if some rich cat wants to go 1st i'll probably let him have a crack at it. Unless he really p*sses my off in which case i may start to just make up my own road rules .....which allow me to do anything i dam well please :89: if i can drive a rig that is 70' long with a 12' wide load on the trailer 3000 miles i don't think a few people in a rush will be a huge problem for me in the PI. the next time i am in the PI my wife & i plan to buy her dad a milti-cab with a jeepney body.they are located north of Manila & we will be taking it down to Batangas so it can be loaded on the boat heading to the province. piglett http://www.sulit.com...ticab/m/exarichhere have a look at the guys site. my wife & i rode the bus up to check things out. the sales manager wasn't there but 2 or the employees were . we even talked one of them into giving us a ride just up the street so we could see how the thing was out on the road. :) i didn't want to push it & ask to drive(maybe i should have) but i did sit in the drivers seat & i fit just fine in it.(i'm 5'10" & about 200lbs) I don't exspect for everyone in the PI to get out of my way when i am driving to Batangas but i figure i'll just go with the flow & once in the province the vehicle i buy will never see heavy trafic again.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Where we live here in Sta Rosa, Laguna, one has to get on the road at right times of the day to avoid traffic between 9:30 am and 3:30 pm! We live near Techno Park, an industrial area with a lot of electronic, fabrication companies, call centers, Ford and Toyota manufacturers! So, in the mornings and late afternoons is when the traffic is crazy with mile long bumper to bumper traffic! Me, I'm just like that "Little Old Lady from Pasadena", where I give way to anyone who wants to pass on the right side of the road! I don't really know why people will overtake on the right hand side or shoulder of the road anyways!

piglett
Posted
Posted
I don't really know why people will overtake on the right hand side or shoulder of the road anyways!
i guess bacuse they can't pass on the left rite then & also because they mite just have a death wish. pig