More Bad News, Australian Man, 73, Shot Dead Inside His House

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I think a burglar alarm might be a good thing to have on houses, to alert the owner and neighbors of a break in. DUMAGUETE CITY, Philippines - An Australian national was shot dead inside his rented apartment by a still unidentified assailant early Sunday morning at purok Ano in barangay Banilad, this city. Police identified the victim as Joseph Mary Debono, 73, who sustained gunshot wounds in the left side of his chest and other parts of his body.The victim's live-in Filipina partner, identified as 41-year-old Helen Balajadia, told police investigators that at around 1:50 a.m. when she and Joseph were sleeping, they were awaken by a noise outside the room.Joseph went outside the room to check, but shortly after bursts of gunfire were heard. Helen rushed out of the room and found out Joseph bloodied.She called for help from her neighbors and immediately rushed the victim to the Holy Child, but at around 2:30 am, or about an hour later, the attending physician declared him dead.Police initial investigation found out that the window of the comfort room was destroyed, and this was where the assailant was believed to have gained entrance.Recovered from the scene of the crime were two empty shells of caliber 9 MM and .45 caliber pistol and one deformed slug.The police have yet to determine the motive of the killing as they continued to scour possible witnesses to the gruesome incident. The other possible cause being looked into was robbery.

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Geez am I going to find any one alive when I get back there. Foreigner dead and Filipina alive, Same old story

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Geez am I going to find any one alive when I get back there. Foreigner dead and Filipina alive, Same old story
He was the one that confronted them, it could have just as easily been her. Very sad story. Says there were 9MM and 45 shells that's 2 different guns, I assume - at least 2 of them?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Its just disheartening and frustrating that these things happen here. Of course senior citizens are murdered in any country but it hits home more in the community where you live and retired expats, living in the Philippines is our community. There are a lot of expats who 'convince their wife' to buy a gun which they can keep for home security but I have yet to read a story about an expat senior who kills people breaking into his home. I guess the reality of an old guy with a gun vs 2 young guys with guns is that the old guy is likely to lose. Anyway, thats just a rant as nothing says the Aussie had a gun.

Garpo
Posted
Posted

In regards to Dave's post. Is anbody aware of a self defense situation where the expat used a gun or other weapon on a Filipino? Would like know more about this before I ask the wife to get a gun to keep in the house for self defense purpose only. this if the first time in my adult life that I have not had some type of firearm in the residence where I live.

Inspector
Posted
Posted

Horrible...absolutely horrible. :1927_: RIP old foreigner man living in the Philippines. Don't forget, it could be his "live in partner" who was involved. :541:

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

"The police have yet to determine the motive of the killing as they continued to scour possible witnesses to the gruesome incident. The other possible cause being looked into was robbery." So what exactly was the first possible cause?

• Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted
"The police have yet to determine the motive of the killing as they continued to scour possible witnesses to the gruesome incident. The other possible cause being looked into was robbery." So what exactly was the first possible cause?
I always get very suspicious when these things happen. Foreigner shot and killed but Filipina alive and well. You can't give any credibility to these stories, especially the way they are reported.Best to wait and see what comes of it.
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Its there in black and white Mike,they broke in to use the comfort room and got a fright when an old foreigner intruded while they were sitting on the Loo.I would do the same ,shoot first and wipe later,or is that !
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Some wives would say "Bolt the door honey, don't go out there, its dangerous" Other wives would say "There's a couple of guys with guns out there, go see what they want" And then bolt the door behind you. Ever wonder what YOUR wife would say?

• Like 2