More Bad News, Australian Man, 73, Shot Dead Inside His House

Bundy
Posted
Posted
Some wives would say "Bolt the door honey, don't go out there, its dangerous" Other wives would say "There's a couple of guys with guns out there, go see what they want" And then bolt the door behind you. Ever wonder what YOUR wife would say?
We were talking about this earlier and my wife told me " If this ever happens to us, you barracade the door and be very very quiet. Let them take whatever they want and leave" Geez, aren't i a lucky fella!

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

What I often wonder about is how well armed these so called thief's are? One with a .45 and the other a 9mm? A few things pop out in my mind. It more has to do with the thief's being the more higher end type looking for the big score or maybe the guy pissed off someone? If someone breaks into the place we stay at in Mindanao, they first have to climb over a wall embedded with broken glass and rusty nails. Past that there is bars on the windows and very thick barricaded doors. If they get past that without making any noise to wake up the dogs....... guess I am just screwed.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
What I often wonder about is how well armed these so called thief's are? One with a .45 and the other a 9mm?
They make those guns in back yard shops in Danao (not Davao although maybe there too) they are easy to get and cheap as in a couple thousand Pesos. Since they are cheap there are many of them around which means they are easily stolen for free. Local hoods with no money or guns start by stealing from poor people, as they acquire guns they move up to higher value targets. Some foreigners are seen as high value which brings us back to keeping a low profile. Disclaimer, this is my own observation from years of living here and seeing stuff with my own eyes so I don't have a link for the purists to view.
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
If someone breaks into the place we stay at in Mindanao, they first have to climb over a wall embedded with broken glass and rusty nails. Past that there is bars on the windows and very thick barricaded doors. If they get past that without making any noise to wake up the dogs....... guess I am just screwed.
2 replies as this is actually two points. Here is my 2nd post on your comments. They broke into my place under similar circumstances. Here is how. They stole laundry off the neighbor's line to throw over top of the broken glass so they could climb over. Takes about 10 seconds. They break the glass on the window nearest the door and pry the bars apart enough to get an arm in and remove inside locking devices. Then walk in the front door. Somehow the thieves are very good with dogs. Some guys can look at the dog and calm him without saying a word and the dog does not make a sound. Its almost like they can smell dog meat on the guy's breath and they know this guy would eat them for breakfast. Fortunately I was not home at the time so my story is a compilation of what I suspect happened based on what they left at the scene and observing the known culprits at various times. (Police know who they are but will do nothing without eye witnesses). So if your house is secure from that kind of invasion then you are probably fine. Personally I think there is no defense from a determined criminal other than getting lucky enough to have someone arrest or shoot him before he completes the task. Stay out of the way during a home invasion and move away from high crime areas. At least that is my humble opinion.
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
What I often wonder about is how well armed these so called thief's are? One with a .45 and the other a 9mm?
They make those guns in back yard shops in Danao (not Davao although maybe there too) they are easy to get and cheap as in a couple thousand Pesos. Since they are cheap there are many of them around which means they are easily stolen for free. Local hoods with no money or guns start by stealing from poor people, as they acquire guns they move up to higher value targets. Some foreigners are seen as high value which brings us back to keeping a low profile. Disclaimer, this is my own observation from years of living here and seeing stuff with my own eyes so I don't have a link for the purists to view.
On yeah, I heard about Danao -- the home of hand crafted "paltiks". These street punksin the Philippines are quickly catching up to criminals of Los Angeles. Stay safe Dave -- Jake

Inspector
Posted
Posted
If someone breaks into the place we stay at in Mindanao, they first have to climb over a wall embedded with broken glass and rusty nails. Past that there is bars on the windows and very thick barricaded doors. If they get past that without making any noise to wake up the dogs....... guess I am just screwed.
2 replies as this is actually two points. Here is my 2nd post on your comments. They broke into my place under similar circumstances. Here is how. They stole laundry off the neighbor's line to throw over top of the broken glass so they could climb over. Takes about 10 seconds. They break the glass on the window nearest the door and pry the bars apart enough to get an arm in and remove inside locking devices. Then walk in the front door. Somehow the thieves are very good with dogs. Some guys can look at the dog and calm him without saying a word and the dog does not make a sound. Its almost like they can smell dog meat on the guy's breath and they know this guy would eat them for breakfast. Fortunately I was not home at the time so my story is a compilation of what I suspect happened based on what they left at the scene and observing the known culprits at various times. (Police know who they are but will do nothing without eye witnesses). So if your house is secure from that kind of invasion then you are probably fine. Personally I think there is no defense from a determined criminal other than getting lucky enough to have someone arrest or shoot him before he completes the task. Stay out of the way during a home invasion and move away from high crime areas. At least that is my humble opinion.
As far as your dogs go, most locals simply get a dog and think that's the end. What they end up with is a car alarm...that goes off over and over. What you need is not just a dog, but to train it. I know all the dogs in the "hood"...I see them every morning and some bark at me because of my dog, but once I go up to them, and throw over a piece of a biscuit, they become quiet from then on. What you need is a intimidating looking dog, a large pitbull works, and train it to bark not at leaves, but when a stranger comes to the door. Most pitbulls are not barkers, but very aware of a threat to the pack leaders...and unless they are going to take a gunshot, there is not a person alive that can fight one off if they are set on getting at you. While people friendly, they can be trained to serve and protect....and I would enjoy seeing a stranger be good with Rascal to break in. Another thing, we keep Rascal as a house dog...he has full run of the house. I would have a doggy door, but too many toads around the area and they are deadly to a dog...so the inside of the house is patrolled when I am home and when i am not...and just the look of a big headed pitbull is enough to at least make a home invasion not likely. I have heard of foreigners getting guns for their wives or girlfriends....I wonder how possible it is for you to use it and then say the wife/gf was the one using it...in a break in attempt?
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
twc
Posted
Posted

My main concern is about the so called "investigations" into these crimes or and murders,,,,does anyone know of a situation where the police found and convicted a filipino for killing or robbing an american or any non-filipino ? If there is no punishment then its open season on us?? please tell me i am wrong.

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
My main concern is about the so called "investigations" into these crimes or and murders,,,,does anyone know of a situation where the police found and convicted a filipino for killing or robbing an american or any non-filipino ? If there is no punishment then its open season on us?? please tell me i am wrong.
Excellent point TWC, It would seem that local and national papers would initially report the crime but I seldom see anyfollow ups regarding the outcome of the police investigation. However, I do read more and moresensationalized news against the foreigner as the suspected criminal. Perhaps it sells more..... Is the Philippine media fair and balance? Is the PNP investigation fair and balance? In some cases,it all depends how deep your pocket is. Journalist can be bought also. But as far as being "an openseason", I don't think so. As long as one does not get involve with ANY questionable activities, manytourists as well as long term foreign residents have enjoyed their time there. Welcome to the forum TWC, respectfully -- Jake Edited by Jake
Korrick mi Englesh agin

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

The BLACK WIDOW Strikes Again :unsure: i say this , he is 73 yo, probably has a "GOOD SIZE" pension or retirement . the lady/wife/ black widow didnt want to be married any more, so for a "fee" her problem is gone,,,I am very VERY curious about the "other" stories i have read in the past few years,when does the lady restart a "new" loving relationship ,i am sure most(not all) of these women have still have a strong sexual appetite .what do they do afterwards?stay here?.find a new victim?more to the home country of the deceased? My main concern,what will happen to the children?how will they be raised?what will the mother do with the "death benefits'? will she use them for her self or actually use them to help the children have a better life?(schooling.etc etc)will they decide to remain here in the RP or go to the fathers home country?where a much better life may await them . has any other forum members know what has became of these children or "widow". as this is not covered in the paper.

Edited by ed villas

Bundy
Posted
Posted
The BLACK WIDOW Strikes Again :unsure: i say this , he is 73 yo, probably has a "GOOD SIZE" pension or retirement . the lady/wife/ black widow didnt want to be married any more, so for a "fee" her problem is gone,,,I am very VERY curious about the "other" stories i have read in the past few years,when does the lady restart a "new" loving relationship ,i am sure most(not all) of these women have still have a strong sexual appetite .what do they do afterwards?stay here?.find a new victim?more to the home country of the deceased? My main concern,what will happen to the children?how will they be raised?what will the mother do with the "death benefits'? will she use them for her self or actually use them to help the children have a better life?(schooling.etc etc)will they decide to remain here in the RP or go to the fathers home country?where a much better life may await them . has any other forum members know what has became of these children or "widow". as this is not covered in the paper.
I did not come right out and say it but yes Ed, this is what i was implying and i don't think this poor old fella was the lone ranger. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the outcome to be covered in the papers either, they've got their sensationalist headline already, they'll move onto the next one............it's just "business"
  • Like 1