House Help, Is It Worth Having Some?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

After reading story after story of this happening, and then it usually being an inside job when someone gets killed, I wonder if it is really worth the trouble to have live in house help? I feel it is often best to not have too many people know your business, so house help must learn a lot about just how much money might be available to them should they decide to rob those they work for. 6 house helpers charged with murderSix persons were charged with murder before the City Prosecutor's Office for the killing of 80-year-old retired judge Corazon Merrera last Friday evening. Dagupan City Police Chief Romeo Caramat Jr. said the case is considered solved after the suspects, the victim's stay-in househelp, were positively identified, arrested, and charged.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

One could use the same logic to ask if it is worth having a live in partner of any kind. Some have conspired to kill their mates. In both cases my answer would be: It can be worth it if you choose well and get lucky. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
After reading story after story of this happening, and then it usually being an inside job when someone gets killed, I wonder if it is really worth the trouble to have live in house help? I feel it is often best to not have too many people know your business, so house help must learn a lot about just how much money might be available to them should they decide to rob those they work for. 6 house helpers charged with murderSix persons were charged with murder before the City Prosecutor's Office for the killing of 80-year-old retired judge Corazon Merrera last Friday evening. Dagupan City Police Chief Romeo Caramat Jr. said the case is considered solved after the suspects, the victim's stay-in househelp, were positively identified, arrested, and charged.
Here is the follow up to the story 2 days later, 5 of them were were cleared when the supposed witness against them confessed.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Here is the follow up to the story 2 days later, 5 of them were were cleared when the supposed witness against them confessed.
So I guess the same question applies since the one guy was the one who killed her, and I believe he was also house help. :dance: Either way it is very sad how cheap life can often be in the Philippines.

RetiredNavyGuy
Posted
Posted

I don't have "live-in" help, in part because I like my privacy. I have a maid that comes in twice a week to do housecleaning and laundry. She has been with me long enough, now, that she has a key in case I am not home (or dead when she arrives :o ), but I don't leave anything of value around the house. I think the question about a live-in partner may be more of an issue. I've seen threads here before to make sure you are worth more alive than dead, and I think that's good advice with a live-in partner. Of course, she also needs to know that. It does no good if she still thinks you are rich.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Same here, we value our privacy and only have a live-out housekeeper that comes in 3 1/2 times a week for P3,000 a month for a 10 hr work day from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm! She only cleans, no cooking, no washing of our clothes! She does washes our dishes, pots and pans after our breakfast and lunch and we always send her to the store or market if we need something. It works out pretty well and our new housekeeper of 6 months seems to like the arrangement and she'll probably stay for a long while, not like the others we have had, some housekeepers are just more picky than others or it's just something else why they leave for some unknown reasons! Who cares, their lost and our gain for a new housekeeper, because we pay well and the work in our home is easy, a no brainer! As for the in-side job scenario of getting killed by the house help which is a live-out person, I don't think that is in question, because we screen the hired help carefully and security is tight where we live.

Edited by Art2ro

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
One could use the same logic to ask if it is worth having a live in partner of any kind. Some have conspired to kill their mates. In both cases my answer would be: It can be worth it if you choose well and get lucky. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
yes some have "conspired" to kill their mates, these sweet partners are called "BLACK WIDOWS"

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
yes some have "conspired" to kill their mates, these sweet partners are called "BLACK WIDOWS"
Maybe in the Philippines we could call them brown widows. :o
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
twostrokes
Posted
Posted

For me when I was there, we had live in maids. With wife #1, I think there was such fear of her they would never consider doing anything wrong. The two were from her home town in Bataan. Never had a problem. That was also living in Cavite in the 60's and early 70's. With wife #2, no problems in San Antonio,Zambales with help, but when we moved to Angeles city in 73 or 74, I forget, had one inside job where we were out for the day and came back to a broken into house. The maid had said she had gone to the store, yea right. The only thing missing was some very valuable cameras. She was fired that day and sent away.. Never had house help after that. If the girlfriend/wife or whatever couldn't take care of the house, I just replace her.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

That's why we now only hire live out-maids and because we like our privacy, with live-in maids one doesn't have any privacy! Yes, hired help is worth while having and they're affordable too! It's just a hit or miss kind of thing to find good help, we've gone through many of them over the years, but we have one now who's been with us for a year now and hopefully will stay awhile, live-out help that is and only for 3 1/2 days a week on a monthly basis! Our guards at the entrance gate screens everyone upon entry and exiting! We have two guards at the entry gate and 4 roving the perimeter in our subdivision 24/7! Our Home Owner Association is on top things when it comes to security matters! We also now have surveillance cameras at the entry gate and areas prone to burglaries!

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1