Which Type Of Phils Visa Do I Need To Apply For?

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted
Thanks again Acienrocka, If I want to disregard the 21 non-visa days and enter Phils, from day 1, on my first 59/60 day tourist visa can I buy that on arrival at Manila or Cebu airport or do I need to get it before leaving my own country? Hi Boss Man, No offence taken by me, my friend comes across as a faitly relaxed and easy going character so I can only presume he feels he has good reason to say what he said. Personally, I've always had it in mind to leave Phils every year or so, before even knowing of such an immigration requirement, for a trip back to Europe so I won't be busting that immigration regulation. I guess visa's might get easier, less complicated, if I marry my girlfriend, I know that she would like to get married although she doesn't put any such pressure to do so upon me.
I assumed he thought he had to have an outbound ticket in order to renew his visa every 2 months which is not the case. As Tom said if he doesn't actually leave the country after his 16 months are up he will be an "overstayer" and could be in all sorts of s.......!!!!

Phileas Fogg
Posted
Posted

Acienrocka, You mean we don't always need to have an onward ticket? IATA states that we need a return/onward ticket to travel to Philippines, last time I travelled from Singapore to Cebu with Cebu Pacific and they were most insistent that I had an onward ticket before accepting me for travel to Philippines. Are you saying that once we have travelled to Philippines, i.e. once we are in and whilst we remain in Philippines, the requirement for a return/onward ticket lapses?

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted
"Are you saying that once we have travelled to Philippines, i.e. once we are in and whilst we remain in Philippines, the requirement for a return/onward ticket lapses? "
Yes, your airline will probably insist on an onward ticket before they let you board. Once you are in the Philippines you do not need any airline ticket in order to renew your visa every 2 months.

jode
Posted
Posted

To get into the Philippines, or even to get an airline to fly u there, u need a return ticket. One way around being tied to a set future date to leave Philippines is to buy a refundable ticket as your return ticket. Once you get to airport u will be allowed to enter because u have a return ticket. Once u are in go to the office of the airline u bought ur refundable ticket from and get the refund. I did that and only cost was a $30 refund fee. Then u have the flexibility to leave Philippines whenever u want and are not tied to the date on a ticket.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
To get into the Philippines, or even to get an airline to fly u there, u need a return ticket. One way around being tied to a set future date to leave Philippines is to buy a refundable ticket as your return ticket. Once you get to airport u will be allowed to enter because u have a return ticket. Once u are in go to the office of the airline u bought ur refundable ticket from and get the refund. I did that and only cost was a $30 refund fee. Then u have the flexibility to leave Philippines whenever u want and are not tied to the date on a ticket.
The requirement is an onward ticket, does not have to be return. They don't care where you go as long as you can demonstate you have the means to do so.
  • Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
As MikeB said above, any ticket will work. I know guys who have someone buy them a boat ticket from Zamboanga to Malaysia and send it to them, and then they throw that ticket away upon arrival. All the airline and govt cares about is that you have a way out of the country, and then you become the other countries problem. I believe the rule wording is return ticket or onward ticket. Also a persons passport must be valid for at least 6 months upon entry into the Philippines or they may be rejected.

Phileas Fogg
Posted
Posted

Thanks Guys, Well from here, a one way or a cheap return are around the same price although I shall endeavour to buy a return ticket that the return date can be changed for a reasonable fee, I'm leaving my elderly mother here in UK and with a return date some 12 months after the outbound date, I'd probably use that ticket to return to UK to see my mother and stock up on any supplies etc. And if I travel with KLM I'm on around 37,000 points at the moment so very close to the 40,000 points required for a one-way upgrade to business class on one of these trips.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Thanks Guys, Well from here, a one way or a cheap return are around the same price although I shall endeavour to buy a return ticket that the return date can be changed for a reasonable fee, I'm leaving my elderly mother here in UK and with a return date some 12 months after the outbound date, I'd probably use that ticket to return to UK to see my mother and stock up on any supplies etc. And if I travel with KLM I'm on around 37,000 points at the moment so very close to the 40,000 points required for a one-way upgrade to business class on one of these trips.
Your experience is likely to be different than mine, because no 2 people seem to be treated the same here, but I have been treated with hostility when trying to enter with a return ticket more than 21 days later. They tell me the reason is maybe they will not extend my visa and then what will I do. I believe it is a case of some individual immigration officers enjoying their power trip but you can avoid all that if you get a cheap ticket to leave within the 21 days.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Your experience is likely to be different than mine, because no 2 people seem to be treated the same here, but I have been treated with hostility when trying to enter with a return ticket more than 21 days later. They tell me the reason is maybe they will not extend my visa and then what will I do. I believe it is a case of some individual immigration officers enjoying their power trip but you can avoid all that if you get a cheap ticket to leave within the 21 days.
Exactly, the rules are arbitrary and are often subject to the interpretation of the employee. When I came here "for good" I bought a r/t ticket with a return within the 21 days (did not get the 59 day visa thru the embassy) because I did not want to deal with the airlines or immigration giving me a hard time and cancelled the return before the date. It can be used for up to a year (+penalty) but probably will not.

Phileas Fogg
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes, Some rules are stupid, I can recall a couple of trips I did to the country of Uzbekistan some 10 years ago, to apply for a visa I needed to have pre-booked accommodation in the country, I would simply go online to Sheraton's website, book myself a fully flexible reservation, print out my reservation, get my visa, then revisit Sheraton's website and cancel said reservation. Guys, what is the name of the government office, in a city somewhere, that I shall need to go to to renew my visa, how long does the process normally take and besides myself, my passport and my flight reservation is there anything else I need to take with me? Thanks

Edited by Phileas Fogg
Removed some controversial info. Apologies and it may even be a good idea, but it is not something we condone on this forum.