Building A Cheap Home

canada1
Posted
Posted

Hello all .. I want to build a small house for my GF so she won,t have to stay with her parents when I am out of country. i was wondering approx prices for this project ? concreate seems to be the most popular but i would prefer to use coconut lumber or bamboo as they don,t heat up so much and look way better IMO .. ok I know wood will have a short life spam but thats ok as this will be a temp fix until I can retire and build what I want . I really like the bamboo nipa hut i have seen there is it possible to build a bigger one say 1000 sq feet ? If treated will coconut lumber last 5 years ? I,m looking for simple amacan walls ,doors ,windows ,etc any ideas and comments are welcome .. what i,m really looking for is approx prices for stuff you may have built for family with pictures would be superb .. beers on me for any and all that reply .. thx for your time .. I look forward to hearing from you guys

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you have a great relationship with your gf and she has land to build it then it sounds like a great idea.

If treated will coconut lumber last 5 years ?
Yes, if it is maintained and treated for termites on occasion it will last a long time.
is it possible to build a bigger one say 1000 sq feet ?
Yes but then you lose any savings. The big ones get very fancy and very expensive. I think its a great idea but here are some of the reasons my wife says no: She wants security in case anything happens to me and concrete means security to her.She wants status and living in anything less than concrete is low statusShe wants safety and knows that those nipa huts are extremely easy for a crook to get into. Edit: Wait a minute, you said 'so she won't have to stay with her parents' and that is a red light. Most WANT to stay with their family. In fact I strongly suspect that when you build this place then a lot of her family will live there with her. Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Unless you have intentions of making your GF your wife I would think twice.

canada1
Posted
Posted

Good guessing guys lol yes I trust her shes the best girl around .. the reason for her living away is to gain Independence .. We are engaged and shes the one who want to live away from her parents .. Land is cheap where I want to buy and I,m leaning toward the bamboo .. heres a picture of what I,m thinkingviewtopic.php?f=3&t=1851&sid=10ee014291d968ccd391f3c7a886ff27&start=45 I have a estimate of between 2500p to 16000p per/sq meter lol any one build with bamboo ?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

If I were you, just have your girlfriend rent a nice secure little cozy apartment away from her parents and relatives! I'm sure there are plenty of low rent apartments almost in any neighborhood! If you can't afford that and want to go really cheap, then buy her a nipa hut if she owns her own lot to put it on, but they aren't very secure, easy to break in to, can easily be blown over by a hurricane and difficult to sell afterwards when you or your girlfriend no longer wants to live in a nipa hut! Your choice!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I like the comment section of the site you linked to. People build here with cheap bamboo because they know they can, and do, cheaply replace it after a storm. Where I am at there are plenty of storms. I know there are places in the Philippines where there are few storms and you might get lucky. I am expecting you have already checked that out before spending a bundle but its worth mentioning in case it slipped your mind. Same with building codes. A cheap house will slip through the cracks but an expensive place will need to follow most of the codes.

canada1
Posted
Posted
If I were you, just have your girlfriend rent a nice secure little cozy apartment away from her parents and relatives! I'm sure there are plenty of low rent apartments almost in any neighborhood! If you can't afford that and want to go really cheap, then buy her a nipa hut if she owns her own lot to put it on, but they aren't very secure, easy to break in to, can easily be blown over by a hurricane and difficult to sell afterwards when you or your girlfriend no longer wants to live in a nipa hut! Your choice!
i have been renting and want my own place this house is just temporary for us .. bamboo houses hold up to storms well and a cheap to fix .. i know the locals think its for poor people but from looking at the pics in my link I don,t care I think it beautiful tons of fresh air and priced well if I can find a builder to do it for 2500p per/sq meter = approx 5000 us for the size I,m looking for .. security is always a concern even in a concrete bunker but thats what dogs and good neighbors are for.. I,m trying to budget the whole deal land .building, and furnished for 10k think its possible ?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
i have been renting and want my own place this house is just temporary for us .. bamboo houses hold up to storms well and a cheap to fix .. i know the locals think its for poor people but from looking at the pics in my link I don,t care I think it beautiful tons of fresh air and priced well if I can find a builder to do it for 2500p per/sq meter = approx 5000 us for the size I,m looking for .. security is always a concern even in a concrete bunker but thats what dogs and good neighbors are for.. I,m trying to budget the whole deal land .building, and furnished for 10k think its possible ?
I think you have already made up your mind and are just looking for people to agree with you so yep, sure, its possible and it will hold up well in a typhoon and your girlfriend well love it.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
If I were you, just have your girlfriend rent a nice secure little cozy apartment away from her parents and relatives! I'm sure there are plenty of low rent apartments almost in any neighborhood! If you can't afford that and want to go really cheap, then buy her a nipa hut if she owns her own lot to put it on, but they aren't very secure, easy to break in to, can easily be blown over by a hurricane and difficult to sell afterwards when you or your girlfriend no longer wants to live in a nipa hut! Your choice! Check out this site, lots of great pics: http://www.google.co...iw=1399&bih=794
I think you have already made up your mind and are just looking for people to agree with you so yep, sure, its possible and it will hold up well in a typhoon and your girlfriend well love it.
Well yeah, if that was the case all along, never mind what I said! Go with what you want! Have your girlfriend look for a nipa hut builder, because if they see you coming, you will be charged the "Kano Price"! If only I owned some beach front property, I too would want a nipa hut style home, but the master bedroom shell of a frame itself, windows and doors has to be made of steel for a little peace of mind for safety's sake and air conditioned for those warm days and nights! Check out this site, lots of great pics: http://www.google.co...iw=1399&bih=794 Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1

canada1
Posted
Posted

nope my mind is not made up yet .. I was hoping for some advice from people that have built cheap houses for family members to chime in .. and pictures I have seen of houses after a typhoon the bamboo ones faired really well and my girl will love it even if its a shack