Prenuptial Not Necessary?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
no matter who you think you can trust - not even your wife.

Wow.....

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

If I couldn't trust the person I married, well, why would I have married her?

• Like 4

Curley
Posted
Posted

Ask that of the huge number of divorced husbands. Something around 40 to 50% of first marriages and even higher for second marriages....... that's a hell of a lot of trust that was misplaced.

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted

My father told me that any girl that would marry me would have to be crazy and I don't want to marry a crazy girl!

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
My father told me that any girl that would marry me would have to be crazy and I don't want to marry a crazy girl!

My first wife was bipolar and the sex was amazing. On the other hand she was crazy a thief and liar.  

My wife at this time controls our finances although I am the one who plans our long term investments and savings.

If I were living full time in the Philippines I would keep most of my assets in the States and have total control of that along with all investments and savings. 

Far better to be worth more alive than dead. My worry would be less that of my wife but of her distant family who may have ideas. That is a harsh thing to say but...........

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Far better to be worth more alive than dead. My worry would be less that of my wife but of her distant family who may have ideas. That is a harsh thing to say but...........

There has been some that could not get money from the foreigner but after the foreigner is dead, they get the money from his wife.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

There has been some that could not get money from the foreigner but after the foreigner is dead, they get the money from his wife.

Yes. But if the foreigner got retirement pay, the wife will not get NEW money to give away...   :)

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Yes. But if the foreigner got retirement pay, the wife will not get NEW money to give away...   :)

Depends. In Canada, the surviving spouse gets up to 60% of his Canada Pension and up to 70% of his company pension if she is his first wife and set up for a survivor. If she is your 2nd to 5th wife, then yes, she will get no new money. 

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

My wife is connected to groups on FB that who's theme mainly are Americans married to Filipinas. Here in the US, from what she reads quite often, it's a common strategy for the man who brings the fiancee over to marry (K-1) to blind side her and tell her shortly before the marriage ceremony to sign a pre-nup. The man keeps it close to his vest till she's actually in the states to keep the family mostly out of influencing her to counter with...whatever. Of course he's going to protect his assets in case there's a long term strategy with less than desirable intentions on her part. She usually will sign (although bewildered) but if she's smart will tell him to add a "sunset clause" so long term they can live like a normal couple. In other words he's saying, I don't trust you and she's countering with - I can go with that as long as you can go with the fact that one day you will as time will prove it out.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Of course he's going to protect his assets in case there's a long term  

Whether this be true or not I don't know as in the UK prenuptials are rare unless there is a vast amount of Money Involved and I don't think it would apply here, A friend who is a Lawyer told me that normally, Prenuptial are in the Main pursued by people with something to Hide.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2