American Forces asked to leave the Southern Philippines

Gas
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Seems to me you are just racist as you can not distinguish the difference between muslims and terrorist. I have just about had enough of this crap on this forum.

I agree with that comment to a point, however most of my american friends here in the Philippines and abroad were taught from a very young age to be paranoid about some terrible enemy. 

• Like 2

Gas
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mr. Bobo said:

When living in this country one must have a Plan A, Plan B, and a Plan C. I know that I do!

Do you not think that is overacting? 

I have lived here for over 20 years and the thought has never crossed my mind. 

• Like 5

Mr. Bobo
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Gas said:

Do you not think that is overacting? 

I have lived here for over 20 years and the thought has never crossed my mind. 

Of course everyone's life circumstances here in the Philippines are different. My wife is involved in politics and I have been the victim of "death threats" on more than one occasion, a couple of times I had to return to America for safety reasons. I have also been told on more than one occasion by the NPA that I must pay a "revolutionary tax" and I refused. I also have a seven year old daughter that I have to watch out for. There are a number of bad things that could potentially happen to me or my family and I like to be prepared, hence Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C. 

• Like 2

Mr. Bobo
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gas said:

I agree with that comment to a point, however most of my american friends here in the Philippines and abroad were taught from a very young age to be paranoid about some terrible enemy. 

I don't know what age you are but I assume you grew up during the Cold War when Communism and the USSR was the terrible enemy like many of us on the forum. Radical Islam is a different animal. I personally think that it is the greatest threat facing civilized man in the 21st century, especially given the easy access to automatic weapons, bombs, etc. Just look at Paris, Brussels, San Bernadino, Ca, Orlando, Fla etc. Radical Islam is not a nation state. These nutcases are everywhere and they come in all different colors. It's a difficult enemy to defeat that is if can even be defeated. I worked in the Middle East for 15 years and had many Muslims friends, of course they were mainstream moderate Muslims just like 99% of Muslims on the planet. It's the other 1% that we have to worry about. When I was a kid I didn't have to worry about some radical Islamist whipping out an AK47 and blowing me away at the local mall. To paraphrase Bob Dylan "The times, they are a changing".

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

One other possibility is Duterte does not want Americans in Mindanao to witness and document his way of eliminating terrorists. First step is to remove the US Special Forces and foreign civilians from Mindanao. Philippine laws provide immunity while in office, but Duterte may have to face an International Tribunal at the Hague later. 

While this makes sense for most people, JJ, my take on Duterte is that the only thing he'd worry about at The Hague is what the girls look like :smile:

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, davewe said:

While this makes sense for most people, JJ, my take on Duterte is that the only thing he'd worry about at The Hague is what the girls look like :smile:

They look like prunes. Enjoyable only if you are constipated.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Mr. Bobo said:

When living in this country one must have a Plan A, Plan B, and a Plan C. I know that I do!

Thanks, Mr Bobo, I just have Plan A.