Living your dream

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Try cost of living in Thailand. Lots of foreigners living there. My cousin is one of them but he is financially well off.

I like Japan but could not afford to live there nor would I want to but I still like it.

The same with South Korea and Hong Kong.

The Philippines is best for those on a small fixed income.

Living in Hong Kong had me constantly at the upper end of my allowable budget, could have done better solo but why would I want to. Enjoyed having a Filipina GF there, just expensive.

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

I generally have a goal of staying under 750 also (not including Visa extensions), although I have frequently missed that in the last year due to getting married, unplanned trip to the US, and moving 3 times. Each time we moved the place was less furnished than the last. Still need a few chairs, a couple side tables, and the biggie, aircon. I do have an absolute, aint going back to the ATM until next month limit that I have followed, and that is 1500 (and does include Visa extensions). So, setting up housing and purchasing transportation aside. 750 seems to be a very reasonable number, add if you plan on actual trips vs day trips, and always western food vs occasionally.

*Since this is your topic the 750 and 1500 figures are pounds, not USD.

And here is me thinking it's Peso .:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, stevewool said:

So true.

A lot of people seem to push south America too for being cheap.

Central, not South America, but I was living in Guatemala for USD600/month a few years ago. Would have been nice if my Spanish was better, single at the time lack of dating prospects was an issue. 

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, stevewool said:

And here is me thinking it's Peso .:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

hahaha, if you could live on p1500/mo you could teach the locals in the province something.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, stevewool said:

So true.

A lot of people seem to push south America too for being cheap.

Yes, I was thinking about Asia and Southeast Asia and English language. 

robert k
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, stevewool said:

There are some folk living in the Philippines on a very large income too. Well compared to mine.

That doesn't mean I spend all of it though!:thumbsup:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Central, not South America, but I was living in Guatemala for USD600/month a few years ago. Would have been nice if my Spanish was better, single at the time lack of dating prospects was an issue. 

The cheapest place to live is where there is very little to buy. Tough to break the bank on another slice of bread, spoonful of beans or the occasional extra 3 beers, even girlfriends have a hard time spending too much money under such conditions. Unfortunately, I found out I can only hack that kind of life for about two months before it was leave or go mad. 

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Although not living in Phils quite yet, Thailand/Phils cost of living is very similar.  I live well here for $1600AU a month, nice, large condo, car, bike, eat out a few times a week, but mainly drink at home, not a bar person much these days.  This activity throws a spanner in the cost wheel.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

One would think that drinking some beers pushes the budget higher but that is not so.  At our last gathering, one of the gents had 2 cokes while some others drank 4 bottles of beer.  The coke drinker was surprised to find that his bill was as high as the others.  Beer is cheaper than soft drinks OR bottled water in many Philippine locations.

Again Dave, I am talking about going to the bar day after day, sitting and drinking 6 or more beers each time - that does raise the monthly budget considerably.

• Like 2