What Is Driving The Wish For Light Skin?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Lighter skin is a big business in the Philippines, but to me it just does not make sense. In the US people try to get tan, and some beautifully olive skinned ladies in the Philippines do their best to stay out of the sun and use skin whiteners to get lighter. It seems strange to me that people would waste so much money on these products. White skin comes with a price Jeimie, 26, carries herself with confidence for obvious reasons: she’s gifted with chinky eyes, a well-endowed figure, and long, dark locks that complement her fair skin.

Jake
Posted
Posted
Lighter skin is a big business in the Philippines, but to me it just does not make sense. In the US people try to get tan, and some beautifully olive skinned ladies in the Philippines do their best to stay out of the sun and use skin whiteners to get lighter. It seems strange to me that people would waste so much money on these products. White skin comes with a price Jeimie, 26, carries herself with confidence for obvious reasons: she’s gifted with chinky eyes, a well-endowed figure, and long, dark locks that complement her fair skin.
I agree it is a waste of money. A few years ago, before glutathione in the Philippines became associated with whiter skin,it was first and foremost was known as an antioxidant. Now everyone is trying to imitate the whiter look. Give me a break! I could remember Judy and I would get so dark swimming at the beach, while most of the other ladies would wear oversizeT-shirts while basking in the sun......under an umbrella. Light skinned mestizas from 300 years of Spanish influence andthen American 1940's media depicting Ava Gardner, Judy Garland, etc...played a major role for the darker natives to copythe white beauty. I would take the dark meat any day -- Jake
  • Like 3

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

Me too jake if i wanted white skin i would have stayed with a white woman !! i loved the natural tan skinned ladies in the Philippines makes my blood boil and my heart race just thinking about it hahaha I better take a cold shower now hahaha O-U-C :)

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
i am bob
Posted
Posted

I don't care if a woman is light or dark - as long as she is NATURAL!

• Like 3

Bundy
Posted
Posted

A current advertisement for over use of skin whiteners would have to be Kris. I have no idea how Filipinos see her but to me there are times when i think she just looks sickly!

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
A current advertisement for over use of skin whiteners would have to be Kris. I have no idea how Filipinos see her but to me there are times when i think she just looks sickly!
I agree Bundy, sickly and plastic like Paris Hilton.
  • Like 1

Tiabel Harx
Posted
Posted

That's the mentality of most Filipinos. Whiter is better. I remember when I was a teenager, my complexion was a lot darker than what I have now. I spent most of my time helping my family work in the farm, my skin exposed to extreme sunlight, almost 3 shades from being black. People used to call me "puwet ng kawali" ( cooking pan bottom). Cooking pans in Philippines are so black as we use firewood for cooking. In America, pot bottom remains clean and shiny. Having suffered humiliation from my own people, it was also my wish to have a fairer skin but it was not affordable that time. All of that changed when I got out of my country and went to Dominican Republic. They love brown.

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted
That's the mentality of most Filipinos. Whiter is better. I remember when I was a teenager, my complexion was a lot darker than what I have now. I spent most of my time helping my family work in the farm, my skin exposed to extreme sunlight, almost 3 shades from being black. People used to call me "puwet ng kawali" ( cooking pan bottom). Cooking pans in Philippines are so black as we use firewood for cooking. In America, pot bottom remains clean and shiny. Having suffered humiliation from my own people, it was also my wish to have a fairer skin but it was not affordable that time. All of that changed when I got out of my country and went to Dominican Republic. They love brown.
Mabuhay Tiabel,I'm sorry it took awhile to see your post, which you submitted about an hour and a half ago.A few more post from you and we will bump you up to full member, OK? The moderationteam has been quite busy. Usually we approve as soon as possible and then make the newpost visible.Regarding beauty is only skin deep, even to this day Filipinos in general still spend millionsof pesos for whitening products. All because of the perceive notion being shove down ourthroat from advertising media. I would rather photograph the true colors of nature and beingnatural from within.Respectfully -- Jake

Tiabel Harx
Posted
Posted

No apology needed, Mr. Jake. We all have life outside the web. Lol!You are rght. Beauty is only skin deep. Beauty fades, character remains.

• Like 2

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Personally I love dark skin and to me it only makes a Filipina more exotic looking. :) Good to have you on the forum Tiabel Harx. :541:

• Like 1