British Embassy Pledges Help In Snaring Griffiths

Garpo
Posted
Posted
Mike, Yes, you are right. But if it were you on trial or being accused and you could produce evidence that you were innocent then would you not want your attorney to obtain and present that evidence? It just very well could get the charges dismissed and no need for a trial. If the evidence was strong enough just as was the case of the video that cleared the first couple that was arrested. While the defense does not have to prove anything, they certainly do want to produce evidence of innocence if and when they can obtain it. While I agree that there certainly does seem to be a lack of evidence to convict in this case. If it were me, I would want my lawyer to throw everything he or she can in such a way as to make sure that there was no way that I could be found guilty. If I was in fact not involved in a crime that I was suspected of, I would not just sit back and wait for a judge or jury to determine that the prosecution does not have enough evidence. I would seek out to clear my name and prove my innocence as soon as possible. A good defense lawyer will always try to find as much evidence of innocence as possible. A lazy one will just sit back and tell you not to worry because there is not enough evidence to convict. While the defense does not have to present any evidence, it sure makes it a lot easier when they can and do. If I was Griffiths I sure know what I would want my lawyer to do. The burden of proof is and should always be on the prosecution but there have been more than one innocent person convicted because their attorney did not do a good job.
Just because the Defence Attorneys haven't said much regarding their case - unlike the Prosecution who are trumpeting everything - don't assume that they aren't readying their evidence. Were I a defendant I would not want my lawyers to signal their intentions to the Prosecutors. Mark
I think both the prosecution and the defense have much more information and evidence then what has been released to the public. While you feel that the prosecution is or might be trumpeting everything, I would suggest that they are holding back on just as much, if not more, than the defense. Especially since it is Santos herself that continues to shoot off her mouth. If anybody is trumpeting, she would have to be put at the top of the list. If the defense does have any good evidence of innocence then I would suspect that they would do the same as in the first couple that was arrested and released. Broadcast the evidence as loud as possible since it turned out that the charges were dismissed and they were set free. So I would guess that the defense may very well have some evidence of innocence, I doubt that it is very strong evidence so far.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I may be wrong but I think NBI-7 has separate intelligence over and above Pique's revelations regarding threats to Santos' life. This might not bode well for the future if/when Santos is acquitted or the case simply collapses. Mark
I've not been following the case as closely as many others. It has seemed to me to be a situation where someone needs to pay or there will be political consequences. If that is the logic, then I wonder why the suspect was not shot instead of arrested. Then she could be accused and the thing settled with no defense lawyers. I don't condone actions like that but it seems to be done occasionally here. The fact that it wasn't suggests that prosecutors expect a conviction.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I may be wrong but I think NBI-7 has separate intelligence over and above Pique's revelations regarding threats to Santos' life. This might not bode well for the future if/when Santos is acquitted or the case simply collapses. Mark
I've not been following the case as closely as many others. It has seemed to me to be a situation where someone needs to pay or there will be political consequences. If that is the logic, then I wonder why the suspect was not shot instead of arrested. Then she could be accused and the thing settled with no defense lawyers. I don't condone actions like that but it seems to be done occasionally here. The fact that it wasn't suggests that prosecutors expect a conviction.
Boy I am glad you wrote that and not me. :thumbsup: I thought it but did not wish to write it for obvious reasons.