What Do You Think Changed The Moral Values In The Phl?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
After reading the OP, the first word that came into my mind was MONEY! Now after reading the replies i see a lot of good points raised but for me i still come back to MONEY, it is the root cause of all evil and so i have to agree with Art. The human being has a basic need to survive and i think once you have descended to that level, moral values ( or any values ) simply go out the window. I also like the OFW theory but yet again that is related to MONEY!
Yup, I'll still stick to money as being the main cause that changes people's attitudes and behaviors and not necessarily changing peoples moral values, because moral values have been taught to us as soon as we all learned to think for ourselves and know between right and wrong! Granted that the MTV scene has influenced the younger generation, but that's just the younger generation and only influences their style of expression and communication due to new fads, but new fads cost money! Where do most of these younger generaltion get their money? Naturally from their hard working parents or they will just beg, borrow or steal if they are homeless or unemployed! So you see how money affects ones attitude and behavior and not necessarily their moral values, except for the hardcore criminals and missfits, when moral values simply go out the window, but they too need money for whatever their purposes are in life due to their criminal minds! Like Bundy mentioned, money is the root of all evils! Example; Past Philippine Presidents with their moral values of greed and political power which affected the lives of all the Filipino people! What do you think the ruckus is all about globally? The Global Recession! It's all about money! And why are there a lot of foreigners living overseas? It's cheaper to live overseas! "It's always a matter of money"! Any why do you think so many young people are so mischievous? Because they don't have any money or job and don't have anything better to do than fool around and make babies like their all of their unemployed brother and sisters, parents, aunts and uncles! OFWs are just fueling the fire back home, spoiling their wives and children with money, but that's good to boost the country's economy! If a country is in a war and has a famine, everyone is SOL, no jobs, no food and no money! Where's the moral values of people in this situation? There isn't any, because they are all dying of starvation and moral values doesn't mean a thing in their dire situation! Edited by Art2ro

ekimswish
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well, there are a lot of extremely poor and extremely fanatical religious countries around the world where young people are not permitted to even hold hands, or girls can't go out alone (or to school). I mean if we're going to talk about morals, let's talk about freedom first. Sure, they probably don't have a lot of single mothers and out of wedlock babies in Saudi Arabia. What they do have are a lot of public executions by stoning, beheading, or just plain old lashing. What's immoral about doing what you want? Morality and intelligence are completely different. There's nothing wrong with having sex out of wedlock if you want to. It's just not smart to do it and not cover all your bases, especially if you're a girl. I think it's more immoral to kill the girl for getting pregnant (honor killing) so that others don't get any funny ideas. If we're talking about crime, I'll agree with Art that it's about money and survival. If we're talking about girls having babies but no baby-daddy, I wouldn't blame immorality: I'd blame education. Maybe if they had a clue about protection, and weren't afraid of going to hell for using it, there wouldn't be a bunch of 17 year old daddies running away. I really think that it's just the evolution of freedom that you're seeing. That said, freedom needs to be coupled with education for people to use it responsibly. Are things getting "worse" all over the world? Probably. I don't think TV is really influencing people, however. I think people influence TV. TV programs are often based on things that really happen, and that's what people love seeing. I suppose the problem is when young people watch what older people are already doing, but can't keep secret anymore. Maybe there was a time when children looked at adults and saw responsible people who did no wrong and they aspired (for a time) to be the same. Not anymore. Now we watch TV and see how corrupt, weak, and confused adults really are (and TV ain't making it up), and then think "F it. I'm just going to start doing what I want right now. What's the point in aspiring to be an unattainable lie?" Ah... what a confusing rant. Maybe I should edit this, but who cares. More room for debate if I'm less careful in my wording and thoughts.

Edited by ekimswish
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
Well, there are a lot of extremely poor and extremely fanatical religious countries around the world where young people are not permitted to even hold hands, or girls can't go out alone (or to school). I mean if we're going to talk about morals, let's talk about freedom first. Sure, they probably don't have a lot of single mothers and out of wedlock babies in Saudi Arabia. What they do have are a lot of public executions by stoning, beheading, or just plain old lashing. What's immoral about doing what you want? Morality and intelligence are completely different. There's nothing wrong with having sex out of wedlock if you want to. It's just not smart to do it and not cover all your bases, especially if you're a girl. I think it's more immoral to kill the girl for getting pregnant (honor killing) so that others don't get any funny ideas. If we're talking about crime, I'll agree with Art that it's about money and survival. If we're talking about girls having babies but no baby-daddy, I wouldn't blame immorality: I'd blame education. Maybe if they had a clue about protection, and weren't afraid of going to hell for using it, there wouldn't be a bunch of 17 year old daddies running away. I really think that it's just the evolution of freedom that you're seeing. That said, freedom needs to be coupled with education for people to use it responsibly. Are things getting "worse" all over the world? Probably. I don't think TV is really influencing people, however. I think people influence TV. TV programs are often based on things that really happen, and that's what people love seeing. I suppose the problem is when young people watch what older people are already doing, but can't keep secret anymore. Maybe there was a time when children looked at adults and saw responsible people who did no wrong and they aspired (for a time) to be the same. Not anymore. Now we watch TV and see how corrupt, weak, and confused adults really are (and TV ain't making it up), and then think "F it. I'm just going to start doing what I want right now. What's the point in aspiring to be an unattainable lie?" Ah... what a confusing rant. Maybe I should edit this, but who cares. More room for debate if I'm less careful in my wording and thoughts.
Not a rant...........I think you make some very good points! Choices have consequences many times Filipino and Foreigner men will impregnate their girlfriend and just walk away without regard for their child. How can that be? Edited by Old55
typo

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Ah... what a confusing rant. Maybe I should edit this, but who cares. More room for debate if I'm less careful in my wording and thoughts.
Not a rant...........I think you make some very good points! Choices have consequences many times Filipino and Foreigner men will impregnate their girlfriend and just walk away without regard for their child. How can that be?
The consequences are obvious, the majority of those illegitimate children born out of wedlock with a single parent to raise them, will now grow up and or have grown up with a lot of screwed up moral values or none at all, they're on their own to develop some somehow!
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thank you Art my point exactly. THis can be clearly seen in some cultures here in the States that feature over 75% single mother head of households.I'll say it again.... What kind of man would desert his child?

ekimswish
Posted
Posted (edited)

It's a question of culture to a point. In a lot of Asian countries, when the man and woman have a baby but don't stay together, it's often the man who keeps the kids, even if it is his aunty and mother raising them. I saw it a lot in Taiwan and Korea where a girlfriend of mine or a friend's had kids, but wasn't allowed to see them. I also have a male friend who divorced his wife recently in Taiwan and he kept the kids. My wife had two kids with her ex and they lived with his family while she was gone. Unless I decided to support them, they would've stayed with him. That said, he's now had a baby with three (or more) other women, and there're only so many women and kids a guy can support! lol... His birth father was the same way though, so if it's genetic somehow or learned behavior I don't know. He had a good stepfather himself. Maybe, to some degree, (and this is just a GUESS) it could go back to tribal culture, pre-Spanish arrival. A lot of cultures around the world - and in Asia - allowed men to have as many women as they wanted, and babies to boot. They would have to support them, sure, but that was back when they were hunter-gatherers or small scale farmers in a vast, untamed land, with a much smaller population. With today's economic, environmental, and population problems, coupled with a Catholic culture in which you can only have one wife and divorce is illegal, we might have an answer to why so many men have so many babies with different women and leave. But that's a GUESS, based on very little to nothing at all. Don't kill me over it. I knew a poor woman who lived beside us once who had four babies with her current "man," and four with her previous "husband." The previous guy kept those kids. She was only 32. My wife's best friend's (now working in Canada after years in Hong Kong) husband told me dead-serious that he goes to the videoke bars to sleep with the women there and hopes one of them will give him a son. They already have two daughters and he wants to keep trying for more kids, but she's always abroad and he's pissed about it. He told me that if one of those girls has a boy for him, he'll keep the boy, and give it to his wife (won't she be HAPPY!). But, if those girls have a girl, he won't care about it. He seemed eerily proud to tell me this. I seemed eerily eager not to piss him off by showing disapproval. He's a big guy.

Edited by ekimswish
  • Like 2

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

One other point about the Pre-Spanish cultural possibilities / guesses I have, is that in a lot of cultures around the world, cheating was still frowned upon, and men were still expected to have one woman and take care of her and their kids, BUT, they also would be KILLED if they messed with someone else's family (daughter, wife, or girlfriend), and that's just the way they did things. You mess with my family, mutual or not, and my family will kill you. After we kill you, your family will try to kill one of our members. Eventually, one of our families might offer you a slave from our ranks as a peace offering. So there are different possibilities in terms of history, none of which mesh well with the world we live in now, not to mention the Spanish culture inherited.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
One other point about the Pre-Spanish cultural possibilities / guesses I have, is that in a lot of cultures around the world, cheating was still frowned upon, and men were still expected to have one woman and take care of her and their kids, BUT, they also would be KILLED if they messed with someone else's family (daughter, wife, or girlfriend), and that's just the way they did things. You mess with my family, mutual or not, and my family will kill you. After we kill you, your family will try to kill one of our members. Eventually, one of our families might offer you a slave from our ranks as a peace offering. So there are different possibilities in terms of history, none of which mesh well with the world we live in now, not to mention the Spanish culture inherited.
Hey Mike, You're a quick study in ancient and modern culture. I also have a keen interest on how tribal culture (pre-Spanish) affectedthe various Filipino indigenous tribes separated by islands, mountains and great rivers. And then came the mariners fromthe middle east, Europe and Asia where they not only traded their merchandise but also influenced ancient Philippines withtheir own culture and customs. Determining moral values could be a subjective measurement. We (western values) may find today's behavior of the Filipinoa bit strange or even backwards. But then again, western values and behavior could also be detrimental. For example, today'smusic is full of profanity and anger, 3rd grade lyrics and melody that could wake up the dead. US corporations sleeping withequally corrupt government officials are finally making the headlines now (Occupied Wall Street Movement). What happenedto our values as a society of a modern country?? Yeah, I have already reserved a one way ticket to another planet but I'm sure they will impose a hefty travel tax...he, he. Respectfully -- Jake
  • Like 1

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
Hey Mike, You're a quick study in ancient and modern culture. I also have a keen interest on how tribal culture (pre-Spanish) affectedthe various Filipino indigenous tribes separated by islands, mountains and great rivers. And then came the mariners fromthe middle east, Europe and Asia where they not only traded their merchandise but also influenced ancient Philippines withtheir own culture and customs. Determining moral values could be a subjective measurement. We (western values) may find today's behavior of the Filipinoa bit strange or even backwards. But then again, western values and behavior could also be detrimental. For example, today'smusic is full of profanity and anger, 3rd grade lyrics and melody that could wake up the dead. US corporations sleeping withequally corrupt government officials are finally making the headlines now (Occupied Wall Street Movement). What happenedto our values as a society of a modern country?? Yeah, I have already reserved a one way ticket to another planet but I'm sure they will impose a hefty travel tax...he, he. Respectfully -- Jake
Yeah, one of the reasons I wanted our pig farm to work out (which it didn't), was so I could raise my daughters in the Philippines. That way, if any guy messed with them, I could hire someone to intimidate them.... or worse ;) I'm not too excited about raising them in Canada, although it'll be safer regarding medical treatment and a lot of other things. This just means I'll have to work harder to be a good influence on them, where in Philippines I could just hire a security guard to take care of all that stuff for me. Yeah, guess I thought I'd be rich.