Jus Sanguinis (Right Of Blood)

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

Well i just got back from the Philippine embassy in LA .Got denied for my Dual citizenship application , for being a legitimate (legal) child to a spanish/filipina mother and a irish /american father. who were both born in the philippines. as i was also born in the philippines and lived there for 20 years. now that i am ready to come back for good, the philippine council tells me that the Philippines follows the Jus Sanguinis law. (AKA right of blood, ) And that i do not qualify because i have no philippine blood even if i was born and raised there, and that my birth was registered at the US. embassy , and that i am a foreign born US. citizen at birth in the Philippines, so i never aquired Philippine citizenship, whitch is recqired for duel citizenship. or for me to even get a balikbayan stamp.(single). And that my best bet would be to marry a filipina to get a visa, Now i tell you that even if the pinay is the prettyest girl in the world, i would not even think of marrying a stranger just to get into the Philippines, (my birth country). as much as i miss it and my home over there.And yes they also told me that i can legally own property that i aquired thru inheritance from my mother. but i cannot be a resident thru Right of blood.(Jus Sanguinis). Well after months of packing and half a$$ planning i guess i will enter my birth country as a KANO on a tourist visa and liquidate my assetts. and high tail it back to Hawaii where being a US state they follow the Jus Soli law.(right of soil)my birth right in the USA even being that i wasnt born there. Kinda makes me feel like a red headed stepchild. Lucky tho that im still dug in in MAUI. :36_1_50[1]: tanks EJ.

• Like 3

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Sorry to hear that. Yes the Philippines is weird and often does not make any sense, and your situation is just one of many loud screaming examples. While it is my opinion that if you can afford it, that you might be better off in the US for many reasons, if you do wish to move to the PHL then there is always the SRRV or staying as a tourist until you do find that one someone special and settle down with her and decide then where you want to live. Unfortunately it appears you will always be one of us when it comes to rights and that would mean no guns and many other hassles unless you can find someone to fix it so you get your dual.I wish you much luck whatever way you go and hope you will still keep posting and keep us informed of how life goes for you.

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the kind words Mr.Lee, Ya it really burnt my a$$ when they told me that. He!! i felt like getting a stiff drink. altho been clean and sober for 20 years now .just to get rid of the foul taste of what they told me . I will be hiring an attorney that knows his chet, to see what can be done . not a fixer but a real lawyer. and if its a no go, then i will sell everything cheap and close that page of my life. Maui is very nice but Very expensive to live in full time, unless i sell most of my toys and watch my expenses. once upon a time i felt like a proud fil/am, but now i guess ill change my name to Hey Joe. Tanks EJ. :36_1_50[1]:

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted (edited)

So your mother was not a Filipino citizen when you were born? I understand that your American (USA) father reported your birth to the embassy so you got US citizenship, but I am very surprised that you do not have Filipino citizenship if your mother held Filipino citizenship at the time of your birth.It opens some important questions for dual nationality couples having children, both in the Philippines and overseas. My wife is convinced that any child she bears would be a citizen of the Philippines regardless of where the birth takes place. This and its implications will be an eye opener for her.All that said and as frustrating as the situation must be for you, the SRRV or Tourist visa approaches are not so bad. And I do understand not marrying simply to reside in the Philippines, but if you are not already married, spending a few years here on whatever visa will likely find someone of interest to. So come on back, hang out, have fun, and see what happens.

Edited by Tatoosh

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
Thanks for the kind words Mr.Lee, Ya it really burnt my a$$ when they told me that. He!! i felt like getting a stiff drink. altho been clean and sober for 20 years now .just to get rid of the foul taste of what they told me . I will be hiring an attorney that knows his chet, to see what can be done . not a fixer but a real lawyer. and if its a no go, then i will sell everything cheap and close that page of my life. Maui is very nice but Very expensive to live in full time, unless i sell most of my toys and watch my expenses. once upon a time i felt like a proud fil/am, but now i guess ill change my name to Hey Joe. Tanks EJ. :36_1_50[1]:
Just another thought, if your birth certificate says born in the Philippines on it, and/or if your passport lists Philippines as place of birth, chances are good you will get a BB when entering the country, no matter what the actual law might be. I would bring as much proof as you can when you enter and show it to the officer and see what happens. Then as you said, get a good lawyer and see what happens. I guess the one of the good things about the Philippines is, that if one office says no, you can always go to another and possibly get a yes. Seems nothing is set in stone and almost anything can get accomplished with the right connections etc, so do not give up the ship. Edited by Mr. Lee
  • Like 2

gapotwo
Posted
Posted
  1. Tatoosh , Ya my mother was born and raised in the Philippines as a Phil. citizen, My father was born and raised in the philippines as a US citizen. as was i. they say that my mothers filippino blood does not qualify me for JusSanguinis.(right of blood) because because i was born in wedlock by my parents, and my US citizen father disqualified me from philippines citizenship. . i was registered at the us embassy in manila at birth. it does not sound right to me, so i will pursue it when i get to manila. tanke ej.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Keep in mind that you are dealing with Embassy staff in a country where corruption is much less in evidence (the good ole US of A). Why not try it when you get here. I think you will find some people who follow the JusPeso rule and it would surprise me very much if you could not just buy your way in.

gapotwo
Posted
Posted
Just another thought, if your birth certificate says born in the Philippines on it, and/or if your passport lists Philippines as place of birth, chances are good you will get a BB when entering the country, no matter what the actual law might be. I would bring as much proof as you can when you enter and show it to the officer and see what happens. Then as you said, get a good lawyer and see what happens. I guess the one of the good things about the Philippines is, that if one office says no, you can always go to another and possibly get a yes. Seems nothing is set in stone and almost anything can get accomplished with the right connections etc, so do not give up the ship.
Yes Sir Mr Lee, my birth certificate says i was born in the philippines as does my US passport and my philippine baptismal certificate, ill try and ask for a balikbayan at manila entry and see what happens, if not ill take the tourist visa for starters. and kick butt and take names later. tanks ej.
  • Like 2

gapotwo
Posted
Posted
Keep in mind that you are dealing with Embassy staff in a country where corruption is much less in evidence (the good ole US of A). Why not try it when you get here. I think you will find some people who follow the JusPeso rule and it would surprise me very much if you could not just buy your way in.
Dave , im sure that the Jus Peso rule works fine in the philippines, as the Jus Dollar rule alsoworks better. But i would rather do it the legal way, cuz i wouldnt want to spend a lot of time in a philippine jail with Bubba, while they make an example out of me. tanks EJ.
  • Like 2

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Actually there is a pretty nice prison farm on Palawan that looks like a nice place to hang out. No walls either. And your own vegetable patch. Sweet! More seriously, once you are in the Philippines and have a good lawyer (okay two words that don't go together there) I think you will get it sorted out. BOI is the department that handles your request? They seem to be cleaning their act up some. When I got here 13a Visas were handled in regional offices and graft was common. That was shut down and we all have to go to Manila, which made many of whine, but the process has become a lot cleaner. So even with the inconvenience, I am glad it happened. Once you are in the Philippines, I am with Mr Lee and think things may sort out for you. Finding the "good" lawyer will be the challenge.