Wifi Connection

Bundy
Posted
Posted

We have a Dell Inspiron Mini10V netbook which we use when travelling.It has a 1510 802.11n half mini card (wireless network card) in it.Being the self confessed computer dummy that i am, can anybody tell me what we need to do to establish a WiFi connection with this netbook?

Garpo
Posted
Posted

Do you have a USB port? If so then you can just get a Smart or Globe thumb drive to connect to the internet. I really am not sure about your wireless network card but would suspect that you will be able to connect to any open or home network just like you probably do now. You might have to buy a wireless router but they are pretty cheap.Hope this helps.

Bundy
Posted
Posted
Do you have a USB port? If so then you can just get a Smart or Globe thumb drive to connect to the internet. I really am not sure about your wireless network card but would suspect that you will be able to connect to any open or home network just like you probably do now. You might have to buy a wireless router but they are pretty cheap.Hope this helps.
Yes, we already use Smart Bro, but am interested in connecting to the free wifi services offered by some hotels and such.

Garpo
Posted
Posted

Ok, I see. You should not have much of a problem but each network can have its own requirements to connect. If you have a problem then just ask the hotel for assistance and I am sure they can get you up and going.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I think if you have your WIFI turned on (sometimes you have to manually turn them on) it will locate any working WIFI in your area ..... some may require a password to use and some are free ..... in SM here in Cebu I just turn my Acer W500 Tablet on and it finds 4-5 wireless connections ..... the SM one is free a few others are password protected and I don't want to pay ..... here in my apartment (WIFI is provided free with my rent) I need a password to access the net ..... each floor here (4 of them) has it's own password .... I also have a Smart Bro (thumb drive) but depending on your location (how far you are from a tower) depends on how strong a signal you get ..... I actually get better reception from the WIFI than from the Smart Bro ...... but then the WIFI router is right outside my front door ...... hahahahahahaha ....

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Thankyou Garpo & Mike S. I understand what you are saying but i think maybe i need to bring the netbook to someone who knows how to activate the WiFi in it. I have searched the computer and find that it does have WiFi but no mention of how to activate it. Someone told me that i need an adaptor which plugs into a USB port and then the computer will self install when it detects that hardware, does that sound logical?

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hey Bundy ....... check this out ... it may helpWindows Computers; Manual Method

• Right-click your wireless icon in the system tray and select View Available Wireless Networks6.jpg
  • Double-click on the puwireless connection to disconnect
  • Click Yes when prompted to disconnect

--OR-- (if you do not see the wireless icon in your system tray)

• Click on the Start button
  • Pull up to Connect To --> Show All Connections (in Windows 2000 or XP using the classic interface, pull up to Settings and select Network Connections)
  • Right-click on the Wireless Network Connection and select View Available Wireless Networks. Double-click on the puwireless connection to disconnect2.jpg

These procedures leave the wireless device active, and the wireless icon viewable in the system tray with a red X on it, to easily connect when desired, as shown here: 5.jpg

• Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted
Hey Bundy ....... check this out ... it may helpWindows Computers; Manual Method
  • Right-click your wireless icon in the system tray and select View Available Wireless Networks6.jpg
  • Double-click on the puwireless connection to disconnect

--OR-- (if you do not see the wireless icon in your system tray)

• Click on the Start button
  • Pull up to Connect To --> Show All Connections (in Windows 2000 or XP using the classic interface, pull up to Settings and select Network Connections)
  • Right-click on the Wireless Network Connection and select View Available Wireless Networks. Double-click on the puwireless connection to disconnect2.jpg

These procedures leave the wireless device active, and the wireless icon viewable in the system tray with a red X on it, to easily connect when desired, as shown here: 5.jpg

Thanks mate, i'll have a look tonight but i don't remember seeing anything like that.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

As others have said, 1st verify that the radio is enabled. This article (halfway down) tells you the different ways to do that on a Dell and how to verify it's on. That icon should be the same one used to connect to the network.

Bundy
Posted
Posted
As others have said, 1st verify that the radio is enabled. This article (halfway down) tells you the different ways to do that on a Dell and how to verify it's on. That icon should be the same one used to connect to the network.
:thumbsup: Bloody confusing. Thanks Mike, at least i know that the radio is turned on and working. I'm gonna take it into a store and let them connect it. :7_4_17[1]: