Wifi Connection

sjp52
Posted
Posted
I think if you have your WIFI turned on (sometimes you have to manually turn them on) it will locate any working WIFI in your area ..... some may require a password to use and some are free ..... in SM here in Cebu I just turn my Acer W500 Tablet on and it finds 4-5 wireless connections ..... the SM one is free a few others are password protected and I don't want to pay ..... here in my apartment (WIFI is provided free with my rent) I need a password to access the net ..... each floor here (4 of them) has it's own password ....I also have a Smart Bro (thumb drive) but depending on your location (how far you are from a tower) depends on how strong a signal you get ..... I actually get better reception from the WIFI than from the Smart Bro ...... but then the WIFI router is right outside my front door ...... hahahahahahaha ....
How do you like your W500, I have one and find it a little slow

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

this might have been asked and answered. is the smart or globe thumb drive available at Shoe Mart or places like that. I want my brother in law to pick on up for me so we can connect rather quickly once we land in manila.We will be in the Paranaque area. Any feed back on the type of coverage in that area?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
is the smart or globe thumb drive available at Shoe Mart or places like that.
I got the SmartBro and Globe USB modems because I now have service anywhere I have been except out on the water on the ferry . . oh wait . . Cebu ferries even has a VERY limited service on their boat (meant for cell phones but you can get online slow connection).Anyway, they cost about 1,000 Peso each (approx) and you can buy a 500 peso load card for each. All these things are available virtually everywhere now.
  • Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted
How do you like your W500, I have one and find it a little slow
sjp52Well I honestly love it .... but I did take all the bloatware off it and I have the A60 instead of the A50 processor .... the A60 is a bit faster for starting up programs and then slows down to normal after the program is up and running .... I believe this is about 2 min. ..... I was going to do a write up on here to show other guys that there is an alternative to the I-pad ... Android and other tablets out there ..... by the way here is a little program if you don't know about it that will allow you to write in your Acer like on the I-pad and other tablets ..... it is called Microsoft Origami Experience and can be found on Google .... you only need the touch program and can dump all the other bloatware that comes with it ....Right now I'm at 15.3g of 29.7 on the HD and that's with some other programs like Wordperfect that I down loaded ..... but dumped a bunch of others that came pre-loaded .... I saved them all to a thumb-drive in case I want to re install them later ..... for what it is designed for I think it is great and has some many other features that the other tablets don't ..... when I get time I'll do that right up with pictures ....
  • Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Problem fixed now guys. Everything was there in the machine, it just needed a bit of prompting. Stupid thing runs windows 7 starter edition which i'm finding to be a real pain in the arse, especially for a dummy like me. Anyway :hystery:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Bundy ..... good to see you got it sorted out ...... can't help on the Win7 Home Starter ..... all mine are Home Premium and I understand there is a difference ...... something that might help is do a Google and search for "tips and tricks for Win7 Home Starter" and you will find all kids of stuff ...... did that for my Home Premium and I was amazed at the helpful stuff I found ....... always remember "Google is your friend" ........ :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

Bundy
Posted
Posted
Bundy ..... good to see you got it sorted out ...... can't help on the Win7 Home Starter ..... all mine are Home Premium and I understand there is a difference ...... something that might help is do a Google and search for "tips and tricks for Win7 Home Starter" and you will find all kids of stuff ...... did that for my Home Premium and I was amazed at the helpful stuff I found ....... always remember "Google is your friend" ........ :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:
Yeah mate, i was wondering why all the stuff you guys were posting didn't seem to be happening with my netbook.When i looked at my home computer i could see what you all were talking about but geez it's hard to get used to the starter edition of windows, nothing works the same and that's where i was getting confused (not that it takes much for that to happen lol) Google sorta helped me, but in the end i just treated it like a new tractor, push every button and pull every lever till i know where everything is & what it does :hystery: :hystery: :nudie:
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
Fatcat
Posted
Posted
smart or globe thumb drive

Does one need to be near Wifi hotspots with this gadget or does it connect with the cell telephone system and I can get it anywhere I can use a cell phone? Aren't we talking about two different ways to connect in this post? the first Wifi, and the second wireless telephone signals?

Does the "smart or globe thumb drive" have to be loaded every so often? How does Globe or Smart get paid for the service?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
does it connect with the cell telephone system and I can get it anywhere I can use a cell phone?

Yes. And if the cell tower has 3g service you get decent internet. If it does not then you get dial up speeds.

Does the "smart or globe thumb drive" have to be loaded every so often?

Yes, you load it like you load you cell phone sim, unless you have a two year contract which is approx 1,000 a month

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Does the "smart or globe thumb drive" have to be loaded every so often? How does Globe or Smart get paid for the service?

As Dave says, yes, the dongle has its own sim card. You can top up load by buying load cards available almost anywhere or with smart you can also do it online but bit more expensive. As with all load there is an expiry date if unused.

• Like 1