Preparing For Trip

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well, I'm really excited to be heading back over there to Cebu soon, in a month I think. This will be my 4th trip in 4 years. I will buy a one way ticket from Aussie and also get a throw away fare to satisfy visa requirements.I have a lot to do here first but the major thing I have done is sold a property I own as I needed to do that to get some money in my bank. I also have a new car that I'm trying to get a private hire company to hire out to a corporate client for a long term lease (like a year), this is the main thing holding me up. I don't want to book a ticket until I have someone on a lease otherwise I have a new car sitting around here costing me money. Selling it is a possibly but at this time of year with the new models coming out etc then it is hard to get a decent amount for it but if I'm desperate I might sell it off cheap to get rid of it before I go.Then I have household items I'm trying to get rid of on Gumtree (Aussie trading site) and Ebay. I sold some camera stuff in the weekend on Ebay but only one person has paid out of the 3 items sold, one said they won't pay as they want another model and the other has one more day to pay. So Ebay looks dodgy these days now that bidders can get away with not paying and not having any feedback issues really. Also, I'm trying to get rid of a few other bits and pieces as I want to leave as little in storage as possible plus the extra money will help.I know from past experience it is better to have everything sorted out and planned before leaving as once I get there it is hard to organize things back home. I also plan to live in the Philippines for about 2 years this time or more so I want to make sure I have nothing to come back for. I only have one other property that is my retirement nest egg that I will come back for one day to renovate and maybe sell to give me more funds to live on. I would also consider bringing my girlfriend back one day if we got married and I was 100% sure etc ;)I'm excited to meet my new girlfriend there too, that is the main thing I would like to get there as soon as possible. Since I have only met her a month ago then I don't even have any plans really, it will just be playing it by ear. This is my 4th girlfriend there and I really hope it is 4th time lucky this time but I do have a good feeling this time and that fuzzy feeling if you know what I mean that was lacking in all the others. ;)My basic plan is just to go to Cebu, stay in a moderately priced hotel or pension house when I get there. Meet my girlfriend and see how we go. If it goes well it might be even possible to live at her place or if she wants/needs to stay in Cebu then I might rent a place not too far from her. I would prefer to later move to another island where there are nice beaches and where I can live on a budget in a provincial lifestyle since my savings are limited.Some places I have considered are some islands north of Cebu and Bohol.Any ideas, tips etc would be great....

Edited by Adventurer

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Any ideas, tips etc would be great....
Not really a tip, but an observation. Its amazing to me how many expats that I have met here manage to have their car stolen or their house and furniture burn down just before moving to the Philippines. It seems to happen with just enough time to collect the insurance settlement before they have to move.Coincidence? Hmmmm. Perhaps if a person left the car door unlocked and a sign inside saying "If you must steal this car then please burn it when you are finished" would help with your car problem. (Note that I say this in a humorous way as I would never condone an illegal act.)
  • Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Sounds like you're in for the adventure of a lifetime, ahhh, brings back memories and i envy you! I wish you luck.Good idea to keep a property in Oz as it gives you the all important "backup plan" we are doing the same thing. Actually what you have done is in a lot of ways similar to us but unfortunately we're still sitting here because we can't sell a house.........what a bugger!Before you decide to leave Cebu may i suggest that you venture down south towards Alcoy, you might find what you're looking for along the way.Good luck :23_11_60[2]:

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I agree with Bundy, lots of nice beaches on Cebu island. I live in Argao, not too far from Alcoy but haven't been there yet, supposed to be white sand. So far I like Argao very much. Keep us posted and good luck!

• Like 2

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

I will have to check out Argao and Alcoy when I'm there. I will have plenty of time in Cebu to do some adventuring haha...Bundy, good luck with your house sale. I was lucky I had 2, the one I sold was a cheapie and easy to sell, the other is growing regularly so a better one to hang on to. I wish I was able to keep the whole sale amount but unfortunately I only get about my initial deposit back but enough I hope to live on over there for awhile along with running my online business.I also think I don't have to wait for a 59 day visa since I'm buying a one way ticket but from my understanding I need to buy a throw away ticket out of the country within 21 days on arrival and just get the normal 21 day free entry? Then I can throw the ticket away and renew my visa every 59 days, I think that is how it works? Later get an ACR card....

Edited by Adventurer

MikeB
Posted
Posted (edited)
I also think I don't have to wait for a 59 day visa since I'm buying a one way ticket but from my understanding I need to buy a throw away ticket out of the country within 21 days on arrival and just get the normal 21 day free entry? Then I can throw the ticket away and renew my visa every 59 days, I think that is how it works? Later get an ACR card...
The "within 21 days" is hotly debated but that's what I would do. Edited by MikeB
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I need to buy a throw away ticket out of the country within 21 days on arrival and just get the normal 21 day free entry?
As Mike says, you need the throw away ticket before you get on the plane because the airline most likely wont let you board without it. :23_11_60[2]:
  • Like 1

Adventurer
Posted
Posted
I need to buy a throw away ticket out of the country within 21 days on arrival and just get the normal 21 day free entry?
As Mike says, you need the throw away ticket before you get on the plane because the airline most likely wont let you board without it. :thumbsup:
yeah I was meaning that, I just worded it wrong :)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
KanoJoe
Posted
Posted
Good idea to keep a property in Oz as it gives you the all important "backup plan" we are doing the same thing. Actually what you have done is in a lot of ways similar to us but unfortunately we're still sitting here because we can't sell a house.........what a bugger!
Sorry, but this line gave me a chuckle... It's funny how the backup plan can turn into the anchor around your neck... I wish you much luck in selling your property... I am finding through my own experience that the backup plan is for naught, as there is usually a cost associated... In the US, if your backup plan is real estate, then there is a huge risk associated with the overall housing market and valuations... Just google "Ft Myers Real Estate" and you will have an abject lesson... Then there are the taxes, insurance, upkeep, tenant damage if you of leasing it out, etc... For these reasons I have liquidated all real estate holdings and gotten rid of as much "stuff" as I can in preparation for going walkabout... Good luck with your move...
  • Like 1

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

hey Bubba, actually I have never thought about that really as I don't get sick generally.I'm not exactly sure why you posted this here though, maybe another topic with your own thread would have been more appropriate so a moderator I hope will come along and split the topic....