Preparing For Trip

MikeB
Posted
Posted
hey Bubba, actually I have never thought about that really as I don't get sick generally.
I've never gotten them either but all it takes is once. I split it and put under Heath and Hospitals.
  • Like 2

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

thanks Mike, i think it's a great article and important, makes more sense to have it in the right place, cheers-------I'm looking to find a Hotel in Cebu for my first day/ I arrive very early in the morning, will probably get into Cebu city around 5.30 am. I don't mind waiting for a bit later like 9-10am etc and check in then but from what I remember check in is usually around 2pm there?Any hotels/pension houses that could be worth looking into, preferably around the 1000 - 1500 per night bracket that might let me check in a bit earlier?

Edited by Adventurer

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
check in is usually around 2pm there?
That has been my experience also. There are many 'short time' hotels around. They have a bad rep for being seedy places to bring a casual friend but I have found them to be great places to stay for a short time. They charge in 3 hour intervals so you can check in and tell them you want to stay for 3 or 6 hours and the rate will be definitely less than the 1000 for a full hotel night.Queensland Hotels are the most well known, and also the higher price. I think they charge about 380 pesos for 3 hours now. (It used to be only 280) so 6 hours is still less than 800. They are a chain and some of the places are not as nice as others but its a place you can go from 6 am to noon. The taxi driver will know. Or just ask him for a nice short time hotel and take your chances. The cheaper ones can run about 150 for 3 hours and yes, that often includes aircon and private CR etc.Yes I have done this myself. The procedure is that the taxi driver will take you right inside the car park, an attendant will guide you to a vacant room, once inside you can phone the desk and ask for a call in 5 and a half hours. When you are ready to leave you call the desk and they send someone to the room to collect the fee. Easy and cheap.
  • Like 1

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks Dave, that is interesting, I actually stayed at the Queenslander over Mactan on my first time in Cebu. My girlfriend at the time had a friend from Lapu-Lapu that was to find a us a nice hotel :hystery: When I seen some of the pictures behind the door of mail order massage items I knew this place was not just a hotel. But it was quite comfortable although each time we wanted to get into our room we had to ask the staff, then a group of young men with many keys would get us in and I was a little worried about that. I was never planning to stay there again but it might be a good idea to stay for a few hours.

Edited by Adventurer

Candyman
Posted
Posted

Another thing with Queensland, is you can order food in. last time I was there, they had a Chinese Restruant menu, that you could order from, just by using the phone inside the room, and it was delivered to your door, piping hot, 15 or 20 minutes later.

• Like 1

Candyman
Posted
Posted

Sogo, is another good short term motel as well, and it is more centrally located in Cebu, I am not sure of the exact address now, someone else would know, but it is close to all sorts of shops and food places.

• Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Every time we hit Cebu, first thing we do is spend one or two nights at Holiday Plaza on F. Ramos St. It's more for memories sake really, (that was the place where we first stayed 9 years ago when we met) The staff are just great and they know us quite well now. Doesn't matter what time we arrive they will accomodate us. They used to charge us a percentage for the early check in or late check out, but the last few times they just wish us well and say see ya next time!It may not be a perfect hotel for a first time visitor because of the location but as you know your way around, no problem.

• Like 1

Adventurer
Posted
Posted
Sogo, is another good short term motel as well, and it is more centrally located in Cebu, I am not sure of the exact address now, someone else would know, but it is close to all sorts of shops and food places.
Sounds good, I will note that one.
Every time we hit Cebu, first thing we do is spend one or two nights at Holiday Plaza on F. Ramos St.
Is that the same street where there is a Bo's Coffee and also the hotel called Diplomat?

• 5 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Well, I'm really excited to be heading back over there to Cebu soon, in a month I think. This will be my 4th trip in 4 years. [

My basic plan is just to go to Cebu, stay in a moderately priced hotel or pension house when I get there.

Meet my girlfriend and see how we go. If it goes well it might be even possible to live at her place or if she wants/needs to stay in Cebu then I might rent a place not too far from her.

I would prefer to later move to another island where there are nice beaches and where I can live on a budget in a provincial lifestyle since my savings are limited.

Some places I have considered are some islands north of Cebu and Bohol.Any ideas, tips etc would be great...

Any updates on your move here? could you share w/us on how the move went?

were you able to sell your items?

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
were you able to sell your items?

On a related note, I have been pleasantly surprised that I have been able to sell most of my things much easier than I thought. Of course I took a hit on everything that was bought recently but not as bad as I thought it would be. The closing on the sale of my house is next week (and I have 10 days after that) and I don't have that much left to sell. The buyer of my house bought several things so that helped! :cheers:

• Like 1