Anyone Tried Army Navy's Burger & Burrito Yet?

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

We hit Army Navy yesterday and I was pretty impressed. I went with the carnita burrito also known as a pork burrito. Long ago I learned to try the stuff the natives are familiar with. Mexico is famous for its pork dishes and Filipinos are too. My wife went with a sliced beef sandwich, a "Something something Sailor" but we didn't care for it so much. It had jalapeno flavored cheese, and quite a bit of it too. Lots of onions, which are not my wife's favorites, and was okay, but not something I'll order again. The burrito was just fine though. Okay, not East LA taco wagon good (That East LA stuff is pretty darn good, folks ... just too scary to go get it) and in Portland OR there was a Tres Hermanos food wagon that stopped where I work and it was pretty good. The Army Navy burrito is almost better in some ways. It includes rice, but the rice doesn't overrun all the other ingredients. Plus a free side of salsa that is pretty good. We ordered a second side and a side of jalapenos to top the burrito. My wife loved it and I got a second one for us to split later that night after she finished her grad course. It was, in fact, good enough I gave my two brothers-in-law the price of a burrito and marching orders to specifically try it. One is one year from being done with his HRM/Chef degree and the other wants to try being a butcher/meat cutter down in Manila. This will be nice experience for their taste buds.So I'm really glad to see this place arrive. I will try their burgers later, but I am really getting ready to grind my own beef and make my own burgers at home, so that is my focus. But they look good and will likely be a rival to Brothers Burgers. In fact, with their burrito in the lineup, they pretty much outshine Brothers for me.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

We just came from our ARMY NAVY burger/burrito place today for lunch, just less than a 1/4 mile from our home and had their classic-single hamburger with fries and drinks for the 2nd time this week and it's still delicious! Also I ordered 2 burritos to go (beef and chicken without the Spanish rice filler) for our dinner later this evening! Love them burritos!

Edited by Art2ro

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just finished eating dinner! Yup! You guessed it! :attention:Chicken & beef burritos from ARMY NAVY!

Edited by Art2ro

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Just finished eating dinner! Yup! You guessed it! :attention:Chicken & beef burritos from ARMY NAVY!
Ahh... er.... ah....... Your wife called and asked us to gently suggest BEANO or GASEX pills......

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
Ahh... er.... ah....... Your wife called and asked us to gently suggest BEANO or GASEX pills......
Our burritos didn't have any beans in it! It's the juices or the sauce Bruce, the juices or the sauce! Try it and you'll know for yourself! :508: :541: Edited by Art2ro

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Our burritos didn't have any beans in it! It's the juices or the sauce Bruce, the juices or the sauce! Try it and you'll know for yourself! :508: :541:
Well in any case, at least you are retired and not car pooling these days! hehehehehehe

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Evidently, some of the Filipino's Spanish ancestors didn't teach them to how make re-fried beans! Or was that the Spaniards that taught the American Indians to make re-friend beans and that's how the Mexican re-fried beans came into being and didn't make it to the Philippines? My history may be a little off or right on! I don't really know! It's OK though, I can do without the beans, because it's bad for my diabetes or was that the gout! I'm confused! Besides missing the re-fried beans, they're also missing the sour cream in these ARM NAVY burritos, but they're still excellent without it! :thumbsup:

Edited by Art2ro

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Evidently, some of the Filipino's Spanish ancestors didn't teach them to how make re-fried beans! Or was that the Spaniards that taught the American Indians to make re-friend beans and that's how the Mexican re-fried beans came into being and didn't make it to the Philippines? My history may be a little off or right on! I don't really know! It's OK though, I can do without the beans, because it's bad for my diabetes or was that the gout! I'm confused! Besides missing the re-fried beans, they're also missing the sour cream in these ARM NAVY burritos, but they're still excellent without it! :thumbsup:
Here on Samar in some of the restaurants that try to adopt a western menu, it is often the name of the dish and what you are getting don't match with what you expect.It is almost like seeing a picture of some Applebee's servings and then the Pinoy chef tries to copy it with whatever local foods are available! Pizza is very strange out here and it may be possible that the guy cooking has never really tried pizza. (No chains here but Jollibees, just freestanding restaurants).Spaghetti is popular, but what is served here makes Chef Boyardee look like it is a five star meal. And copious amounts of sugar are added to a lot of things, including spaghetti sauce!Art, if you are a diabetic and have a cook, ask if she is adding sugar to ANYTHING and you don't know it. The more protein you eat, and (gasp) less rice!!!!!! The lower your blood glucose will be.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Evidently, some of the Filipino's Spanish ancestors didn't teach them how to make re-fried beans! Or was that the Spaniards that taught the American Indians to make re-friend beans and that's how the Mexican re-fried beans came into being and didn't make it to the Philippines? My history may be a little off or right on! I don't really know! It's OK though, I can do without the beans, because it's bad for my diabetes or was that the gout! I'm confused! Besides missing the re-fried beans, they're also missing the sour cream in these ARM NAVY burritos, but they're still excellent without it! :thumbsup:
Here on Samar in some of the restaurants that try to adopt a western menu, it is often the name of the dish and what you are getting don't match with what you expect.It is almost like seeing a picture of some Applebee's servings and then the Pinoy chef tries to copy it with whatever local foods are available! Pizza is very strange out here and it may be possible that the guy cooking has never really tried pizza. (No chains here but Jollibees, just freestanding restaurants).Spaghetti is popular, but what is served here makes Chef Boyardee look like it is a five star meal. And copious amounts of sugar are added to a lot of things, including spaghetti sauce!Art, if you are a diabetic and have a cook, ask if she is adding sugar to ANYTHING and you don't know it. The more protein you eat, and (gasp) less rice!!!!!! The lower your blood glucose will be.
My wife does all the cooking and the only sugar I consume is only in my morning coffee! My blood sugar is back to normal due to my insulin injections and other medications daily!

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Wow! I was wondering what I was going to do when I finally get to do the big move! Here in the Hammer we have a place that sells a 1 pound burger done over flames that is amazing! I try to cut mine into 4 and save it for a couple meals but I never seem to get any leftovers! And now Army Navy has made me realize that I won't be homesick at all! Now if I can just find something that will take my mind off of a good Nova Scotia donair... :boohoo:
Try this one from Casa Verde.post-1-0-65088600-1328241519_thumb.jpgPhoto by Braddo
Now that is like the Pugger (the one I like here!) except the bun is a little smaller than the one shown but the meat is a full 1 pound and looks as big as the bun in your pic! Definitely gonna have to try that one too! Thanks you sir!