Expats Living In Philippines With Working Wife?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm curious how common it is for the wife of an Expat to work in Philippines? At one time my wife and I were talking about living in Cebu full time and my wife said " I will return to work my old job". We do know of some that both partners work full time.

Edited by Old55

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I told my current wife there is no need for her to work because then I have to hire a maid to do all the things she does around the house. Back in the west I liked it when my exwife went to work because she never did frig all except watch the soaps if she stayed home.I do know a few expats where their wives work. Some of the guys seem to like the freedom of having a little time away from the little woman.

• Like 1

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Interesting point. A number of expat wives I know disdain working. One I know even said, "Why would I marry older guy if I had to work?" I do know of a couple of wives and a few live-in girlfriends that work, though usually that is so they have control of their own money to meet their obligations to their family - parents and so forth, without hitting up the husband. Or to support children of a previous marriage/relationship. My wife worked as a semi-volunteer as a teacher in a special education school. When the small "allowance" came around once a month or so, she was ecstatic. And she plans to work in the USA when we go back. Her choice to return, I'm pretty content here. But she sees a future where she will work as a professional, both in the USA and here if/when we return. It really varies with the individual. Some women have little interest in working and the culture has traditionally seen many women being homemakers. That still seems to be the role many provincial women see as their preferred choice for the future. Or maybe a sari-sari business so they can chat with neighbors as part of the "job".

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I look at it this way... If my wife (of which I don't have one yet but I"m starting to think.... oh, well ... another story!) decides she wants to work, that's up to her. If she decides she doesn't want to work, that's up to her. If she wants to use and abuse me, that's up to her but she ain't gonna be my wife no more! The good part is I don't want any more ex's so I better make sure she knows she only has those 2 options and not number 3!

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Who in their right mind, would let their wives work in the Philippines for peanuts? :hystery:We all came to the Philippines to live a life of leisure! :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Who in their right mind, would let their wives work in the Philippines for peanuts? :hystery:We all came to the Philippines to live a life of leisure! :hystery: :hystery:
Only the retired came to do that.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

As surprising as it maybe to you and I Art ...... some people love to work ...... some people just have to be around others all day long .... kinda the togetherness syndrome .... where others just have to be doing something ALL the time ...... some like the challenge ...... some like the feeling of accomplishing something ...... and some just plain need or want the money ...... THANK GOD I AIN'T NONE OF THE ABOVE ...... I WORKED MY ENTIRE LIFE EVEN DURING MY SCHOOL DAYS ...... AND NOW I AM PERFECTLY HAPPY TO SIT ON MY FAT ARSE AND LET SOMEONE ELSE DO ALL THE WORK ...... 'NUFF SAID ...... I'M RETIRED ....... :nudie: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 2

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

I had a girlfriend once that I returned to visit. I said she should consider working while I was there so we could save for our future along with it would be good for her instead of sitting around doing nothing all day. Well she went all weird and acted strange after that so I soon showed her the door.

• Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted
As surprising as it maybe to you and I Art ...... some people love to work ...... some people just have to be around others all day long .... kinda the togetherness syndrome .... where others just have to be doing something ALL the time ...... some like the challenge ...... some like the feeling of accomplishing something ...... and some just plain need or want the money ......THANK GOD I AIN'T NONE OF THE ABOVE ...... I WORKED MY ENTIRE LIFE EVEN DURING MY SCHOOL DAYS ...... AND NOW I AM PERFECTLY HAPPY TO SIT ON MY FAT ARSE AND LET SOMEONE ELSE DO ALL THE WORK ...... 'NUFF SAID ...... I'M RETIRED ....... :nudie: :hystery: :hystery:
Mrs Bundy fits into the workaholic catergory. Bloody hell, i just can't stop her. I should be so grateful to have a wife who works right alongside me at the farm and indeed does more than me on quite a few occasions as she knows that i'm gettin too old for this kinda stuff so she figures she's gonna do extra just to help me out.Once we move i've told her that she can do whatever kind of work she wants or small business.Doesn't matter if she doesn't make money, just as long as it doesn't cost us money. As for me, i'm just lookin forward to puttin my feet up! :no:
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Art I respect your point but some gals love to work or wish to work to "help" family or like my wife who had a Philippines Government job to become eligible for a pension and SSI.

• Like 1