Have you had your vaccinations updated?

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Health related post, Have you had your vaccinations updated?since your in AUS does the national health service offer at a low cost these shots? Recommendations or Requirements for Vaccine-Preventable Diseases Recommended if you are not up-to-date with routine shots,such as measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) vaccine,diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus (DPT) vaccine,poliovirus vaccine, etc. Hepatitis A or immune globulin (IG) Recommended for all unvaccinated people traveling to or working in countries with an intermediate or high level of hepatitis A virus infection ( where exposure might occur through food or water.Cases of travel-related hepatitis A can also occur in travelers to developing countries with "standard" tourist itineraries, accommodations, and food consumption behaviors. Hepatitis B Recommended for all unvaccinated persons traveling to or working in countries with intermediate to high levels of endemic HBV transmission , especially those who might be exposed to blood or body fluids, have sexual contact with the local population, or be exposed through medical treatment (e.g., for an accident). Typhoid Recommended for all unvaccinated people traveling to or working in Southeast Asia, especially if staying with friends or relatives or visiting smaller cities, villages, or rural areas where exposure might occur through food or water. Japanese encephalitis Recommended if you plan to visit rural farming areas and under special circumstances, such as a known outbreak of Japanese encephalitis, Rabies Recommended for travelers spending a lot of time outdoors, especially in rural areas, involved in activities such as bicycling, camping, or hiking.Also recommended for travelers with significant occupational risks (such as veterinarians), for long-term travelers and expatriates living in areas with a significant risk of exposure,and for travelers involved in any activities that might bring them into direct contact with bats, carnivores, and other mammals.Children are considered at higher risk because they tend to play with animals, may receive more severe bites, or may not report bites. this maybe worth a small investment , Good luckhttp://wwwnc.cdc.gov...philippines.htm

• Like 5

United Army
Posted
Posted

Yes, I got most of these before I left for the Philippines in 2009, my insurance company paid for all of them. But now being here for 2 years I need to get re-vaccinated on most of them. Remember this is a 3rd world country and it would be good to get these. Soon I will be getting myself and my wife the Typhoid vaccination.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Yes, I got most of these before I left for the Philippines in 2009, my insurance company paid for all of them. But now being here for 2 years I need to get re-vaccinated on most of them. Remember this is a 3rd world country and it would be good to get these. Soon I will be getting myself and my wife the Typhoid vaccination.
The TYPHOID vaccination NOW can be taken by ORALLY , their is now a PILL(3 taken over a several day period) recently saw it listed at a small medical clinic for 1200php. Prices may vary where your at.
  • Like 1

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

Is there really any need if you are physically in good condition mostly and never really get sick? Would taking all these mean you will always need to get them in the future as your body will come to depend on them?Apparently eating lots of tropical fruits, coconut juice (buku) etc are natural ways to keep immune to medical issues like this!

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Vaccinations are good if you believe in them, but I believe most foreigners in the Philippines die from old age or from pissing off a Filipino.

• Like 4

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted
Vaccinations are good if you believe in them, but I believe most foreigners in the Philippines die from old age or from pissing off a Filipino.
What are the stats for the latter of those options? :grouphugg:

Adventurer
Posted
Posted
I'm not sure but from what I know the stats for an arrest are next to zero.
  • Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)
I didn't search for any stats, but from reading news and seeing news on TV about the death of foreigners in the Philippines for the past 6 years, most were from health problems due to old age and some were from murder. I don't remember reading about any death which was caused because someone didn't get his vaccines. If you know of any foreigner death due to lack of vaccinates please tell us.Maybe with a Goggle search you can find one or two. Edited by Americano
  • Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted
I'm not sure but from what I know the stats for an arrest are next to zero.
I agree with you. Very few are arrested in the Philippines, but when you continue to violate Philippine law and become a well know criminal like happened in 2006, then you will be arrested. The Filipino people will only take so much before they have to take action against us foreigners.

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted
I didn't search for any stats, but from reading news and seeing news on TV about the death of foreigners in the Philippines for the past 6 years, most were from health problems due to old age and some were from murder. I don't remember reading about any death which was caused because someone didn't get his vaccines. If you know of any foreigner death due to lack of vaccinates please tell us.
I was just curious as to hearing about any known circumstances that had led to such a demise, more personally than anything as we all know the news media will fill in any blanks in stories however they dream them up. Sorry to go off topic. But to bring myself into compliance, I too get my boosters and such whenever I am in the US as I am not too trusting of what I might be getting abroad. Tetanus is another I keep up to date.. .lots of rusty spikes laying around and my slippers are pretty thin... :nudie:
  • Like 1