Philippines Department Of Labor Wants Less Holidays

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
http://ph.news.yahoo...s-holidays.htmlDOLE wants less holidaysGood news for employers or bad news for workers?For on Thursday, the Department of Labor and Employment cautioned the government in declaring more non-working holidays, saying that these have “negative” effects on workers.DOLE Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz urged lawmakers to take into consideration the effects of additional non-working holidays in the overall productivity and competitiveness of the Philippine economy, particularly on labor and employment, before crafting legislative measures on holidays.Baldoz said that according to a report from the Bureau of Working Conditions, more special non-working holidays create negative rather than positive welfare effects because the principle of “no work, no pay” applies.“For daily paid workers, the opportunity to produce goods of economic value and to earn wages is lost during a special non-working day,” the DOLE statement read.For 2012, President Benigno Aquino III declared a total of 18 holidays which include 12 regular holidays and six special non-working days.The DOLE noticed that Philippines has more holidays than Australia which has eight; Singapore, 11; Indonesia, 14; Japan, 15; Thailand, 15; Malaysia, 16; South Korea, 16; and Hong Kong, 17. Only China, which has 29, has more holidays the Philippines, it added.“Declaring holidays has implications on productivity and competitiveness. It is associated with issues on rights at work. Reviewing the implementation of holidays is necessary to contribute to the Philippine development goal of inclusive growth, through decent and productive work,” Baldoz said.What do you think about this? Should there be lesser holidays?
  • Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I feel that there are too many as it is now. Many families who depend on their work income to just barely survive here are deprived of much needed money to support them because of the old policy of no work = no pay. Paid vacations are almost unheard of here with maybe the exception of the richest elite. If they keep adding nonsense holidays, eventually there will be more holidays than work days. JMHO YMMV.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

At my old job we worked all holidays, what it meant was that we could 'accrue' stats and add them on our vacation. So when a holiday came around you chose to collect double time and a half or time and a half plus one extra paid day on your next holiday.It meant that business never closed and the employees got just a little richer. We just loved Xmas and Boxing Day. Work 2 days and get a weeks pay.

• Like 1

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Heck no! More holidays is my motto! There are local holidays too. Panagbenga is the local festival and they are having various schools and so forth closed at different times. Some businesses don't close even for Christmas. Others seem to close whenever the wind blows. I have yet to hear a Filipino complain about a the attendant potluck that is celebrated on most every holiday, wishing they could be at work instead.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I worked all holidays too as I worked nights and as supervisor I didn't do much work anyway ...... we got paid time and a half .... and I was off during the day anyhow ...... but with no family all holidays just meant more money ...... :mocking:

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
I worked all holidays too as I worked nights and as supervisor I didn't do much work anyway ...... we got paid time and a half .... and I was off during the day anyhow ...... but with no family all holidays just meant more money ...... :mocking:
Fortunately Mike, you are now retired and with a family! Now, everyday is a holiday! :emostrongbow:
  • Like 3

Curley
Posted
Posted

Spain (who left their legacy in the Philippines) have 16 days PLUS several other local "fiesta" days so we have more than the Philippines. On top of that an annual 30 holiday allowance. Many employees will also take "puentes" or bridges, if a national fiesta day falls on a Thursday the staff will "go sick" on the Friday and get a lovely paid long weekend. Same if it falls on a Tuesday, Monday becomes a sick day.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
At my old job we worked all holidays, what it meant was that we could 'accrue' stats and add them on our vacation. So when a holiday came around you chose to collect double time and a half or time and a half plus one extra paid day on your next holiday.It meant that business never closed and the employees got just a little richer. We just loved Xmas and Boxing Day. Work 2 days and get a weeks pay.
My last 18 yrs working Civil Service for the USAF was similar! Our work schedule was planned a year in advance and if our work schedule landed on a holiday or weekend, that was the breaks unless we forecasted our annual leave or vacations to cover the holidays and or weekends, including Xmas and or New Year, but not both, it was one or the other and to make it fair it was on a rotational basis or first come, first served which ever the case may be! We had a large organization and manpower at that time was spread out pretty thin and overtime was abundant on a voluntary basis, but I usually didn't volunteer for overtime because half of one's overtime pay just goes to pay the taxes and plus the fact I enjoyed my days off with my wife and family! Back in those days since the lack of manpower, our schedules were constantly changing from the normal 5 day work week consisting of 3 shifts to a 3 on 3 off or 4 on 3 off work schedule with overlapping shifts! Got really complicated! I was truly happy when I was offered an early retirement at age 49 and I took it and ran as fast as I could in order to get out of the "human race race" indefinitely! 13 yrs later, we are still here in the Philippines and still enjoying the fruits of our labor, but it was a long road to get where we are today! So no, holidays should not be reduced for any hard working people, because those are the only times one has to be with his or her family without having to use up one's annual leave or vacation time, which are reserved for other special vacations and or important occasions! Edited by Art2ro

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Since Sunday shopping is now allowed, I think the holidays are needed... I for one am in favour of no shopping on Sundays as too many companies are now expecting their staff to work 7 days a week!

Curley
Posted
Posted

My girl works 6.30 AM till 8 PM or 7 PM if she's lucky with a 15 MIN break for lunch, 6 days a week. Those hours for 3,000 Pesos per month! She does get a glass of milk and a snack thrown in FOC! That will stop once I get out there. Her sister works 10 hours a day as a waitress and gets 100 pesos a day and no free food. I tell my staff they don't know anything, but they just smile at me.