Is It Ok That Filipinos To Charge Foreigners More? Entitlement?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

As a Foreigner visitor or Expat how do you feel when you are openly and officially charged more for a service, entry fee or other than a Filipino citizen?Topic suggested by Garpo

Curley
Posted
Posted

We have a similar thing here in Tenerife. There is an official price but residents get a discount. Residents like the system..... tourists don't. As Abraham Lincoln said. You can please some of the people...... etc.

Curley
Posted
Posted

It's similar to old age pensioners discounts..... why should they get discounts when they receive the same service as younger people?

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
It's similar to old age pensioners discounts..... why should they get discounts when they receive the same service as younger people?
Well we don't have to worry about the discount here in the Phils for us oldies but goodies ...... in the US it is standard practice to give seniors a discount no matter here you are from and if you are a citizen or not ..... if you can show you are over I think 60 you qualify for the discount ..... here how ever you MUST be a Philippine Citizen to get a Senior Citizen discount card ...... there is no exceptions as it is illegal to use such a card if you are not a Philippine citizen .... I have heard of some people claiming to have these cards and are foreigners .... one or two in Angeles brag all the time about having one but will never explain how they got them and one day will get caught ..... I'm told in Manila you can get anything made or forged ....... with that card you are also able to get a small payment each month from the government and other types of benefits ...... if a foreigner is living here and needs to have such a card then they must really be hurting for money ..... IMHOAs to the price differences there are some that tick me off and others that I can live with ...... so I guess for me there is no set feelings about it ...... but I don't let it upset me as long as I can afford it ....."it is what it is" ...... :89:
  • Like 5

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Now.... If I remember correctly... YOUSE GUYS were ragging on me a few posts ago because I expected to pay and paid with out any grumbling... the Kano price!I still think that that it is wrong though, for a GRO to charge a foreigner more... unless of course it is 'pay by the inch'... which I guess is ok... But then the Koreans will ask for a bigger discount! :3_8_14[1]: :lol: :89: :hystery:

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
I don’t agree Curley. In your example a retired person would have paid full price when younger so the system is fair.In Philippines Foreigner are penalized because it is assumed they have more wealth. In most cases they do. Just to be fair India, Egypt and many other countries have a two tier system as well so it’s not only Philippines.Here in the States local colleges will have higher fees and more stringent requirements for out of State students and higher still if a foreign student applies because it is subsidized with tax money.
  • Like 3

Garpo
Posted
Posted

I would have to say that the difference is usually so small that it does not really bother me. It also seems to depend on if you mean a tourist or a expat that is now living in the Philippines. In all honesty I would have to say that it makes my wife much more upset than it does me. She hates it when somebody tries to charge me more money than a local. She will usually jump in and tell them that I live here just like they do and that I am cheap now....... :89:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
I would have to say that the difference is usually so small that it does not really bother me. It also seems to depend on if you mean a tourist or a expat that is now living in the Philippines. In all honesty I would have to say that it makes my wife much more upset than it does me. She hates it when somebody tries to charge me more money than a local. She will usually jump in and tell them that I live here just like they do and that I am cheap now....... :3_8_14[1]:
Us too!!! My wife just goes off when it happens. :89:
  • Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Us three ........

• Like 3

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Same here, i am getting charged the kano price almost all the time. i fight it, sometimes i get lesser than filipino price due to the fact i start playing with the words proud filipino, poor foreigner, hiya, etc etc, it takes me lots of talking though and it is not so successful either.Yesterday i was stopped from an MMDA crocodile in one of their usual traps. i told him it is a trap there is no sign that private vehicles cannot go straight, just that cannot turn left or u turn. He placed his authority looks, demanding my drivers license. I took the same look, asking his name which i note down and what his dispach was for today and where (they are obliged to give it to you). He gave me back my drivers license, opened all the traffic for me and let me go without ticket or so.I would say it is mostly us the kanos who spoil the "market". when we give huge tips, when we spend like no tomorrow, when we pay whatever it is without thinking twice etc etc. It is us who make the image for us "money bag". When i go out i do not have more than 200-200 pesos in my pocket (my wife carries the serious cash) neither any credit cards. I take my money out to pay they only see what they see on a filipino too. Practice it!!! Keep the cash divided in two or three pockets!!!!

• Like 5