Is It Ok That Filipinos To Charge Foreigners More? Entitlement?

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)
Wow! Isn't that a little harsh? How often have you found yourself facing these situations?Not everybody sees us "foreigners" as the enemy... I am not even in-country yet and I have a few Filipino friends who are already offering to take me out for dinner at their expense... One has even offered me a discount at the local public market over and above what the local population in pays until I can get set up and established if I move to their fair town... Maybe it's because they know I am coming to stay...Yes, I know I will face some amount of discrimination and Kano pricing through the years but not everybody will overcharge on every sale...!
Was it my post about it being endemic you were referring to? If so, I would say I might have a chip on my shoulder about it and not particularly harsh, just realistic. I quite love many things in the phils but the continual nickel and diming of foreigners is not one of them. It really did and does change the way I perceive and treat the place. Ŵhilst it is quite true that you can use strategies to minimise the effects of the all encompassing attitude, having to do that is more of an annoyance for me than letting them rip me off. The sums to date have never justified me getting that annoyed or caused me to ruin my day, though it has prevented me from getting any more financially involved than just spending money there. Now, I do not believe things would be any different, if the economic divide in the UK was similar, people really are desperately poor in the phils and it shows day in and out. There are plenty of great people, but I could not rely on people here as I could in richer countries to be generally honest. Frustrating, for sure. Perhaps not believable if you ve not lived here. But try it and see. It really is the flip side of the social freedoms and great lifestyle a westerner of middling means can have, I think. Having experienced Monaco and Venice as a tourist, demonstrates the other side, I.e. not having enough money to buy a round of drinks at random, without having the slitest concern as to what the bill will be at the end of an evening; so short of inheriting £50 million pounds, I appreciate the benefits of relative financial power in the phils and try and not grumble too much. If you ve got this far, you ll see I have mixed views on the whole topic.
Ah Genius! Why didn't you say this the first time? I now fully understand what you are saying here and I agree with a lot of what you are saying! Some may say I'm too soft in my outlook or naive on how things are and that's ok... I will be suckered by a few people (or more) but I don't want to become an Ugly Cano (that's the Canadian version of Ugly Kano... :mocking: :mocking: )... So I try to go through life with as positive outlook as possible. This works very well.... And amazingly this has worked to help keep me alive while in some very dangerous situations in the military even... For those formerly in arms... have you ever sat down, had a drink with the other side and just casually talked? Usually you will both find out that there isn't much difference between you and that is the start of the end of the problem... Will that work here? Won't know if we don't try! I"m betting it will...!I often get nicknames due to my outlook on life... Names such as Dr Bob, Father Bob, Brother Bob... I even get named A$$hOLE, Idiot, moron and more! The last are usually from my closest friends.... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :tiphat: Edited by i am bob

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
All i'm gonna say here is that if i know i'm being overcharged for something i just simply REFUSE to pay and i will tell them straight out and walk away.We all have choices and i can live with mine very nicely thankyou.
If there is a posted price I will do this. If there is not a posted price I'm not usually sure when I'm being screwed.The out of state prices for colleges is because the schools are partially funded by state tax money. So, the theory goes, if you are from out of state you did not contribute to the taxes. California is a prime example. In state rates are real cheap but out of state rates are out of this world!But taxis, food, rent... no freaking way. If there is a choice i will spend my money elsewhere and let them know why.
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

It's all good ...... a bad day here is better than the best day somewhere else ...... IMHO ..... :hystery:

• Like 4