Is It Ok That Filipinos To Charge Foreigners More? Entitlement?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The thread says: Is It Ok That Filipinos To Charge Foreigners More?I am going to suggest that next time you find a business that charges a foreigner more, do some digging and find out who is really the owner and/or financier of the business. You may be as amazed as I have been over time. It seems, from my own investigations, that a very large number of the businesses that charge foreigners more are actually owned or financed by foreigners and they are the ones to instruct the staff to charge foreigners more. Go figure.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Very true Daisy, once you become a regular customer to a vendor the price will be lower and you will get the cream of the crop. Is there a Filipino word for the relationship between customer and the vendor who they deal with exclusively?Sellers who ask a high price and expect to bargain an agreeable price is a time honored and fair practice.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

daisy
Posted
Posted
Very true Daisy, once you become a regular customer to a vendor the price will be lower and you will get the cream of the crop. Is there a Filipino word for the relationship between customer and the vendor who they deal with exclusively?
we call it "suki" at worst scenario they will give you credit "utang" if you need it.
  • Like 3

Genius
Posted
Posted

It's one reason why I would never invest in the country, what I drop when I'm in the country, will only be what they get from me. Let them have their short sighted gains and lose out on the long term. As to the multifarious reasons why, I really don't care, just hardens me to any stupid notion I get of investing in the country from time to time, when I ve had a good few months in the sun with the san migs and happy times.Though, admittedly as the years pass, the notions have become less frequent.

• Like 2

Genius
Posted
Posted

I do not believe foreigners are the main culprits of overcharging, not saying they aren't as susceptible as the locals but it is completely endemic, in a way it would not be in the uk.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Wow! Isn't that a little harsh? How often have you found yourself facing these situations?Not everybody sees us "foreigners" as the enemy... I am not even in-country yet and I have a few Filipino friends who are already offering to take me out for dinner at their expense... One has even offered me a discount at the local public market over and above what the local population in pays until I can get set up and established if I move to their fair town... Maybe it's because they know I am coming to stay...Yes, I know I will face some amount of discrimination and Kano pricing through the years but not everybody will overcharge on every sale...!

• Like 3

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted (edited)
Yes, I know I will face some amount of discrimination and Kano pricing through the years but not everybody will overcharge on every sale
It would be interesting to hear how you did after a year or so on the ground here. I do not think it applies, but of course, it is possible that those of us that have communicated unfair pricing,are experiencing clouded vision and maybe it only seems like it happens alot.... like I said, I do not think that applies... so hopefully you will be able to come back with a thread next year that talks of where all the fair vendors are located and please, introduce us to your paying friends :dance:I have not, in 12 years plus of visiting and living in the Philippines, ever been treated to a meal by someone from the Philippines.... not even in a business setting, they have always looked to me to pay.... maybe I need to upgrade my friends list. I should also say, that I have never been invited out either so as I am most always the inviter..... of course, inviter equals payer. :mocking:On the other side, I can say that has not been the experience with Filipinos we socialize with in the USA.... so I am not saying this is sytemic to the people... only that it may be behavior that is driven by the economics of where they live/work. IMO Edited by Dzighnman
  • Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I have not, in 12 years plus of visiting and living in the Philippines, ever been treated to a meal by someone from the Philippines.... not even in a business setting, they have always looked to me to pay..
I have been treated many times but it was always either from Chinese/Filipino friends with good businesses or a returning Filipino friend who had lived and worked many years in the US. All other times I paid.
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Yes, I know I will face some amount of discrimination and Kano pricing through the years but not everybody will overcharge on every sale
It would be interesting to hear how you did after a year or so on the ground here. I do not think it applies, but of course, it is possible that those of us that have communicated unfair pricing,are experiencing clouded vision and maybe it only seems like it happens alot.... like I said, I do not think that applies... so hopefully you will be able to come back with a thread next year that talks of where all the fair vendors are located and please, introduce us to your paying friends :dance:I have not, in 12 years plus of visiting and living in the Philippines, ever been treated to a meal by someone from the Philippines.... not even in a business setting, they have always looked to me to pay.... maybe I need to upgrade my friends list. I should also say, that I have never been invited out either so as I am most always the inviter..... of course, inviter equals payer. :mocking:On the other side, I can say that has not been the experience with Filipinos we socialize with in the USA.... so I am not saying this is sytemic to the people... only that it may be behavior that is driven by the economics of where they live/work. IMO
I have 2 invites so far to go out to dinner... One is in the Manila area (can't remember exactly where right now) and is a lawyer and the other is his 2nd cousin now in Davao who I knew when he lived in Canada for a couple years and is also a retired lawyer... And the one offering me the discounts at the market is (I believe) in Toledo and is related distantly somehow to my girlfriend.... though he offered me the discounts before my girlfriend and I had any relationship other than the original penpal idea... This forum often has posts about how someone was charged a higher "Kano" price and the resulting conversations are sometimes quite vicious in appearance... I know that is not what people are trying to say but sometimes that is how it comes across... For the last 2 weeks I have been trying to read the posts on here as if I was a born-and-bred local and sometimes I don't know how long I would last here if I really was... But that's just my opinion and I can't help that... I really liked the post (Dave H I think) the other day about getting the car fixed and how he couldn't pay just the little amount that was asked for... More positive! The comment that 'only 1 in 10 or so' are the ones trying to raise the price for foreigners is good too... The posted higher price for foreigners was very appreciated by I think everyone! These are more the things we need to start concentrating on.. The negative will only breed more negative... Finding positive solutions to our unique issues - that is where we can start to change this part of the world and make it a better place for everyone.Oh my Gawd... I got on the soapbox again... I promise I will not go into politics... oh, Ron! I was responding to your quote but I will tell the world upfront that you are not of who I was speaking of... I actually admire your style and outlook on the Philippines.
  • Like 1