Pension House

i am bob
Posted
Posted
She was staying in a boarding house - I was wondering what the difference was.
A boarding house here can be quite different from the western concept. I have seen some more fit for animals then humans. So many people packed together cooking, fires are not uncommon.
I think that is what may have happened to my girlfriend... She hadn't woken up yet when the screaming started... Breakfast anyone?

volstateguy
Posted
Posted
Sorry guys - maybe I didn't explain myself properly...She was staying in a boarding house - I was wondering what the difference was. That was answered very well by Mr Bundy.As for the pension house - that's for me when I do the move. I was just looking for a general idea what the average costs for one is for a month... a ballpark figure so to say.... I want to start putting my budget together with general numbers now and as the time grows closer, I'll look deeper and find the true figures I will need then.
Bob, from what I've seen pension houses run between 10,000-18,000 pesos a month plus utilities. You can do a Google search and find quite a few. The cheapest I've heard of is Pennsion de Portugal....member Happy stayed there long term and paid P10,000 a month for one person and P12,000 once his girlfriend moved in. He seemed quite happy with the place. I haven't been able to find a website for it so you would probably need to wait till you are there to see if the have vacancies. It was located right across the street from Windland Tower condos and is walking distance to Ayala mall but taxis were always lined up just outside so its convenient if you need a taxi.
Thank you sir! I"m not too familiar with where some things are just yet but I believe that is the area I don't want to walk at night if I want to live... That is if I tell my girlfriend I was there.... Or am I thinking of somewhere with a similar name...
I don't think that's a very bad area. It's right off a major street (N. Escario). There is a McDonald's or Jolibees right down on the corner and N. Escario runs straight down to Ayala Mall, maybe 1-2 miles. I don't think you would have any trouble walking it, even at night.Not sure where you may be thinking of, but the Colon area from what I hear is a bad area, with drugs and such. I don't think I would walk around there at night. But in any area I would be sure I was aware of my surroundings.
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Sorry guys - maybe I didn't explain myself properly...She was staying in a boarding house - I was wondering what the difference was. That was answered very well by Mr Bundy.As for the pension house - that's for me when I do the move. I was just looking for a general idea what the average costs for one is for a month... a ballpark figure so to say.... I want to start putting my budget together with general numbers now and as the time grows closer, I'll look deeper and find the true figures I will need then.
Bob, from what I've seen pension houses run between 10,000-18,000 pesos a month plus utilities. You can do a Google search and find quite a few. The cheapest I've heard of is Pennsion de Portugal....member Happy stayed there long term and paid P10,000 a month for one person and P12,000 once his girlfriend moved in. He seemed quite happy with the place. I haven't been able to find a website for it so you would probably need to wait till you are there to see if the have vacancies. It was located right across the street from Windland Tower condos and is walking distance to Ayala mall but taxis were always lined up just outside so its convenient if you need a taxi.
Thank you sir! I"m not too familiar with where some things are just yet but I believe that is the area I don't want to walk at night if I want to live... That is if I tell my girlfriend I was there.... Or am I thinking of somewhere with a similar name...
I don't think that's a very bad area. It's right off a major street (N. Escario). There is a McDonald's or Jolibees right down on the corner and N. Escario runs straight down to Ayala Mall, maybe 1-2 miles. I don't think you would have any trouble walking it, even at night.Not sure where you may be thinking of, but the Colon area from what I hear is a bad area, with drugs and such. I don't think I would walk around there at night. But in any area I would be sure I was aware of my surroundings.
Yes, that is one of the things I have to do yet... Get a map and learn what is where in relation to other areas... And find out where I can safely go where my girlfriend won't kill me for going... Like a out for a beer with Jake, or... You know... the Real trouble areas! :mocking: Sorry Jake! I gotta feeling we are both gonna get in trouble after beers some night...! I'll have to get my own doghouse! :hystery:
  • Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Bob, sorry to hear about your lady's delema and hope all works out well. I apologize for what I'm about to ask you and pray you are not insulted but it did cross my mind and my sincerest apologies if I'm wrong. My question is, "When she told you what happened meaning she lost everything in a fire, did you take any steps to verify this actually happened?" The reason I ask is this country's favorate pastime is scaming foreigners. Again sorry if I'm wrong but it crossed my mind and I had to ask.

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Same thought crossed my mind.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

And mine.But some boarding houses are only 800 pesos a month, pay for use electric and laundry, 8 girls to a room, so there is a potential for fire. But there is also potential for . . . lets just say: Trust but verify.

Garpo
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bob,Only you know the relationship and trust between you and the girl. We here have just heard so many war and horror stories, or some may have actually experienced it in real life. Like what has been mentioned, getting money from a foreigner is very common here and you hear of new and different excuses and scam all the time. You also have to look at other outside sources that could be putting pressure on your girlfriend. If somebody in the family or a close friend should need money and they know that she has a foreigner boyfriend then they can pressure her in to telling you stories so that she can get money and help them out. Family almost always comes first here.I hope you understand that we are just trying to help you out here and ask you to be careful. We are certainly not trying to judge you are your girlfriend.

Edited by Garpo
  • Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
Bob, sorry to hear about your lady's delema and hope all works out well. I apologize for what I'm about to ask you and pray you are not insulted but it did cross my mind and my sincerest apologies if I'm wrong. My question is, "When she told you what happened meaning she lost everything in a fire, did you take any steps to verify this actually happened?" The reason I ask is this country's favorate pastime is scaming foreigners. Again sorry if I'm wrong but it crossed my mind and I had to ask.
Hey shipmate,We are very sadden about your girlfriend's recent ordeal. Please encourage her to remain in contact with you viaall means possible. Perhaps try to establish an emergency contact from one of her most trusted classmateor friend. Her classmates are in the same predicament and having a 24 hour mutual support should give you some relief in knowing that your emergency funds have been a god send to her.Now is the time to start studying Google Earth and zoom in at the place in question (her boarding house). You mightas well map out the areas of various pension house and distances to various locations.Yeah, I know it sounds harsh when your heart is hurting but please try to understand where Steve is coming from.I'm hoping that one of our fellow members would be kind enough to research the local news to verify the fire incidentactually happened. I believe if the role was reversed, you would also advise to proceed with caution. And lastly, when the world brings you down to your knees.....well, that's the best position to pray anyway. We will alsopray for your love one too, OK? I will reserve the beer night together until later. Right now, get some needed sleepand good nourishment for you body. Uncontrolled stress will kill you quickly.Respectfully -- JakeI will PM you with my email address if you need to talk privately. It's only 20 bucks per hour consultation......he, he. Edited by Jake
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I found this, happened early yesterday (Sunday) morning.

• Like 2

billten
Posted
Posted
I found this, happened early yesterday (Sunday) morning.
Sorry man, that's the shanties down near Tabuan, not close to Escario.