Why Do Only Citizens Have The Right To Own A Gun ?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

:lol:

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Heck, an actor (I think his name was Ben Afflek) was blacklisted from entering the RP just for making a joke about Filipinos and he wasn't even in the RP. In fact, I'm risking the same just by writing this. I have found that many locals don't even want us here.
The actor was Alec Baldwin and the joke was about Filipino mail order brides told on Letterman. I don't disagree with what you're saying about many locals not wanting us here but that could be applied to every country in the world.
  • Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well all except the US and there you are forced to love everybody in the world or you are accused of being a racist and can actually be jailed for your opinions ..... ain't 1st world countries great ...... all I can say is I'm glad I live in a 3rd word country ...... where only if I say something against Pilipinos can I get into trouble ...... as far as I'm concerned it is a step up ........ :lol:

• Like 4

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
One thing that took a long time for me to sink in is the fact that the Philippines is unlike most places in that is doesn't WANT immigrants, you are now and always be a visitor. The assumption that, if you 'be a good citizen' and stay out of trouble for several years, you will be able to get the rights of all the people around you, IS NONSENSE...As a visitor, you are held to a different standard to the locals and expected to like it, coz if you don't like it, the door is over there.I love this place and hope to die (in a while) here, that doesn't mean i have blinkers on about exactly what my status is around here...
That has been my understanding as well. Even if you stay here the full 8-13 years and pay all the fees and pass all the tests and you actually become a naturalized RP citizen, nothing will change. For even though the written law says you are a citizen, culturally & reality wise, you will forever be viewed and treated as a foreigner. If this will ever change it will not be in our lifetime. Yes it sounds negative but reality is reality and this is from someone who has lived here since Sept 2007. If I want to keep living here, I have no choice but to live with it. Otherwise, all you will end up doing is banging your head against the wall (Which I have done).
  • Like 5

gary1948
Posted
Posted

Thank you all for your comments. My wife is from Davao and yes I know she can have guns but from what I heard if I pick her gun up, even to clean it I can go to jail for life. I have had guns all my life. I have been a California Peace Officer and carried a gun with me every where for my own protection. I never had to use it on anyone. I hope someday this law will change in the PI so we can protect our families.

• Like 1

billten
Posted
Posted
what I heard if I pick her gun up, even to clean it I can go to jail for life. I have had guns all my life
Hmmm, its not quite so anal as that. What i think the members are saying is 'you better not shoot someone, coz you gonna be in a world of ugly'. I go shooting with PNP officers and such and even being a white guy, there is never a problem. I am sure if i popped an intruder at my place, there would be trouble. That is why i use dogs as a disincentive to intruders, they are not a problem...
  • Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

The way I see it, being able to defend yourself is by their thinking you have rights and in the RP, foreigners have none whatsoever. I've heard some say we do but considering the nationalistic mindset that I myself as well as many of you who also live here have seen, do you really want to put it to the test here in an RP court? Or with the locals? I wouldn't. Of course to each their own.

Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 4

Curley
Posted
Posted

You carried a gun all your life "to defend yourself" but never used it.......... do you really need one then?

• Like 4