Not Sure How This Is Gonna Turn Out

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well I am finally sick and tired of this damn router thing ..... it still continues but in strange ways .... if I shut either one or the other down for 10-15 min. nothing changes .... if I shut both down the problem goes away for a day or two but slowly starts coming back ..... sometimes my home page will not load but I can type an address in and it will open up immediately or I can click on a bookmark and it will open up sometimes just a website won't load ..... tried Yahoo ... Chrome and Google home pages .... happens in all of them ..... tried FireFox and Chrome in all kinds of versions .... same problem ......When I try config /release ..... config /renew or config /all .......I get this message .... "No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected" ........ how can it be disconnected when I can get on the web ....I have been every where on Google trying to solve this problem but no such luck ..... so today I am gonna do it ..... pull the plug ..... I bought a Linksys E-1200 as I don't care about the WiFi option I only use the router as a hardware firewall ..... my dilemma is that I don't remember my password to the Globe router ..... I have 3 passwords but not sure which is the right one ..... someone said it is your account number ..... the other two are generic ..... Globe doesn't like giving out that password for various reasons so it could get kinda sticky ...... I have the Globe router set up so that only the Modem works and the router is shut down as having two routers banging heads together doesn't work to well ..... this will be another problem as I will need to reset the Globe router to it's default settings ......The new Linksys E-1200 seems to be able to piggy-back to the host router so maybe it won't be to hard ..... but in any case I maybe back in a few hours or a few days (if Globe needs to get involved) ......Thank god I just got the new Mass Effect 3 PC game...... it will keep me from being driven to drink ...... :unsure: :unsure: :tiphat: ....... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
Well I am finally sick and tired of this damn router thing ..... it still continues but in strange ways .... if I shut either one or the other down for 10-15 min. nothing changes .... if I shut both down the problem goes away for a day or two but slowly starts coming back ..... sometimes my home page will not load but I can type an address in and it will open up immediately or I can click on a bookmark and it will open up sometimes just a website won't load ..... tried Yahoo ... Chrome and Google home pages .... happens in all of them ..... tried FireFox and Chrome in all kinds of versions .... same problem ......When I try config /release ..... config /renew or config /all .......I get this message .... "No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected" ........ how can it be disconnected when I can get on the web ....I have been every where on Google trying to solve this problem but no such luck ..... so today I am gonna do it ..... pull the plug ..... I bought a Linksys E-1200 as I don't care about the WiFi option I only use the router as a hardware firewall ..... my dilemma is that I don't remember my password to the Globe router ..... I have 3 passwords but not sure which is the right one ..... someone said it is your account number ..... the other two are generic ..... Globe doesn't like giving out that password for various reasons so it could get kinda sticky ...... I have the Globe router set up so that only the Modem works and the router is shut down as having two routers banging heads together doesn't work to well ..... this will be another problem as I will need to reset the Globe router to it's default settings ......The new Linksys E-1200 seems to be able to piggy-back to the host router so maybe it won't be to hard ..... but in any case I maybe back in a few hours or a few days (if Globe needs to get involved) ......Thank god I just got the new Mass Effect 3 PC game...... it will keep me from being driven to drink ...... :unsure: :unsure: :tiphat: ....... :thumbsup:
Just to let you know Mike S that my fellow hardware techs will always have our golden hammer on standby for you. I know the feeling of intermittent problems and the lack of technical support from the web or manufacturer. Thankgod you have other diversions to keep you sanity in check. Although Mass Effect 3 will probably put me over theedge of insanity. Lock and load Marine -- Jake
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Go to a command prompt and type tracert google.com or put in whatever site you wish. You will probably see timeouts on some hops. Replacing your router will not help.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Yup Mike ...... got 11 before it timed out ...... so what does that mean ...... bad connection from Globe???

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Yup Mike ...... got 11 before it timed out ...... so what does that mean ...... bad connection from Globe???
Bad routing courtesy of Globe. Try it with VPN and you'll probably not see any time outs. But when I use VPN I have gmail problems where my sent messages are stuck in the Outbox until I disconnect the VPN. VERY frustrating. Wish I could go back to PLDT but no ports available here.
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well I got the new router hooked up and it worked great for the first 20 mins. ..... figured I might as well use it as I bought it and my old one was about 7-8 years old and the new ones have a whole lot better security than then the old one I had ..... anyway tried the the tracert again but I couldn't really see how far it would go as my screen just shut down after a few minutes and the thing was still running ..... is there anyway to stop that from happening so I can read or copy the report ..... it was showing that it timed out on a couple of pings but was still continuing ...... I know it has to be Globe but just not sure what I can do about it ......Think I should put my Globe router back to factory defaults and try that ....... not real sure how to set up VPN and the net wasn't to helpful ..... is that like a proxies server or something .... ???? ..... I'm not good at networking and such as I've never had to use it ..... and don't know crap ..... but at least I ain't full of crap as that was taken care of the other day or should I say for 2 days ..... :thumbsup: :unsure:

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I use this but it's a paid service and I have other reasons for wanting a VPN. There are free ones but I haven't heard of a good one. You should not have to buy an extra product to get what your carrier should be providing as part of their paid service. I would talk to Globe first and see if they can do anything. If they can't, and that's likely, and you have PLDT or another ISP in your area, switch. Right now I don't have any other option but Globe.

• Like 2

billten
Posted
Posted

Have you tried defining your DNS? On Globe i had huge problems until i defined the DNS as 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's free DNS) and then they all seemed to go away.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
Have you tried defining your DNS? On Globe i had huge problems until i defined the DNS as 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's free DNS) and then they all seemed to go away.
Is it 8.8.4.4? I thought the Alt DNS was 8.8.8.4 .

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Is it 8.8.4.4? I thought the Alt DNS was 8.8.8.4 .
-Sorry Steve but Billten is correct - Google's free DNS is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 though this is usually for game consoles. Never tried it on a computer though there is no reason it shouldn't work