How Do You, Or Should You Try To Keep A Newbie Thinking Objectively

Jake
Posted
Posted

As usual, excellent thought provoking question Dzighnman! I've been a member of this forum for a little overtwo years now. This forum may not be perfect (what is these days) but there are many sincere advices foranyone visiting the Philippines. But like anything else, some members will try to read between the lines ormis-interpret the message. Some members may think they already have their ducks in a row and will refuseor ignore the warnings. Could it be different sitting down with a friend and having a man to man discussion? Does it really dependson how receptive the person might be, by allowing his ego to accept some constructive criticism? Will heapply lessons learned from previous failure(s) in home country (marriage, financial, etc) to improve himselfafter a mid-life crisis? I guess deep down, it all depends on the individual. All of us have traveled throughour own speed bumps along the way and survived, just like you Dzighnman.This forum is full of shared experiences, both sadness and successes. I'm especially grateful that memberslike OnMyWay, Curley, I am Bob and many more adventurers have found this forum and willing to share theirupcoming experiences. I know it will be tears of joy.......Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

For my part, I will offer my experiences, strength and hopes for the future at I see it. My Asawa and I met through a mutual friend and used snail mail to get to know each other (I know I am dating myself,,,and her also lol). Even though we have not actually become official expats, I feel I know enough to give advise WHEN ASKED FOR IT.A buddy of mine has been seeing a Filipinna he met on line for a couple of years now and makes the trip to the Phil about every 6 months. He to hopes to retire here. When we talk. "Where is she from?" "near Manila" he says. "Have you met her family?" "Not yet" is the answer RED FLAG! "have you been to her home town?" "Nope" RED FLAG. He asked me..."You think I can open a bar/restro? My fiances family would help run it" RED FLAG x2.I have given him the IP Addy for this forum,,,but as the saying goes you can lead a horse.....

• Like 3

billten
Posted
Posted
I've seen both sides but for the life i have now, the ride was worth it.
Nice...

bows00
Posted
Posted

I would like to know more information on how you were scammed by your first girlfriend (wife?). It is in the details that we can have a "lessons learned" experience.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I have to admit - I learned a lesson on here too! When I first started mentioning that I had a "special someone", I would often get people warning me about scammers and users... Of course I had already read all about that on this forum and several other sites I would peruse before I found home (this forum)... I had also written to a few other women along the way and got pretty good at picking out scammers and users from their letters... My SS (Special Someone) was not suppose to be a romantic liason - she was suppose to be just a penpal! Someone I could talk to and ask questions of... To find out more of what the locals were like! And I was very attentive to answers I received from my SS when were were emailing each other - usually 3 or 4 times every 2 days or so... So, once things started turning into more of a relationship, here I am starting to look for signs of being scammed... You know... Does she ask for money? NO! Is she using me for a ticket out of the country? NO! She still has a few years to get her docorate - which I am the one gently nudging her towards rather than just her degree for now. And NO she is not asking me to pay for her schooling... She asked me earlier this week (since we both feel that we will be married soon) if I minded her working during her summer break... She really does love to work! The lesson I learned? Not everybody is out to scam you! Listen to what others have to say but then you also have to listen to your instincts... Not just your big head, and only a little to your little head.... Listen to the voice inside you!!!

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
*well he got here and nobody held him at gunpoint.Its sad to think that filipinas will go that route just to extort money from foreigners and sadder for those who are really trying to make it in this world and be discriminated as such.
The problem is that we hear so many horror stories you start to think everyone is bad. I know there are good and bad people anywhere you go but it is so hard to tell who is who. I try and take people at face value until they show me a reason not to trust them. But when getting emotionally close it gets tougher. I mean, I'm 48, overweight, gray haired, and because of health problems I'm basically old before my time. So I have to wonder why any younger woman would be interested in me other than money? I am probably doing a disservice to them and to myself by questioning too much sometimes. (I am also friendly, nice, happy, and generous so maybe they just have good taste and are not as superficial as I am?)I wouldn't listen to any warnings from friends or family here in the States because they have no idea what Filipinos are like. But I do try and listen to expats and learn from their experiences. But in the end you have to trust your heart.
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I had also written to a few other women along the way and got pretty good at picking out scammers and users
First, this is not meant to be aimed at Bob, its a generic observation. In my life I have noticed that 90% of my friends and acquaintances will always, always, always say and believe the following 3 things:I'm a good driver.I'm a good cook.I'm good at judging a person's character.and then the other which I wasn't going to mention but what the heckI'm pretty good in the sack.Now realistically, although almost everyone I know says these things, the truth is that they are not. Myself included. A 'good driver' makes a professional driver shake his head but politely say nothing. A 'good cook' simply means I don't go to visit as often as I will be pressured to try the latest creation. A 'good judge of character' is a scammer's dream come true. The wise ones will learn their own strengths and weaknesses and not be blinded by well meaning flattery from friends or self delusion.
  • Like 1

wingmanPI
Posted
Posted

IMHO there is no "set path" on how to deal with all that the philippinesbrings into our lives. Generally speaking I think the best advice is fornewbies is to move slow and lay out a number of "tests" for the filipinayou think is the one. risk small amounts of money before you open thevault.It is so easy to just tell all the newbies dont give any money, dont trustanyone and be paranoid 24 hours a day but that really is not practical.After some trial and error I believe that I have developed patience whichis by far the most important requirement in finding out if you have a girlyou can trust or not.Let experiences and how she deals with the experiences over time tellyou how things will be long term. Also risk a small amount of money inorder to save a HUGE amount later. If I lose say $100 or $1,000 USDon a "test" then that is a small amount to pay to find out what the deal is.Being very aware and having a good memory is helpful as well. With thatbeing said there is no way to protect yourself 100% unless you just nevertrust anyone with anything, I think I have a girl I can trust but the reality ishow do I really know what will happen over the next 20 years? I don't.All I can do is spend a couple of years (which I have) to make sure I feellike I have a good chance at things turning out correctly. A little commonsense, A BACKBONE and separating emotions from logic will get youwhere you need to be in PI.

• Like 2