What To Do When Not Having Home Address In The States? Credit Cards

redhorse
Posted
Posted

Hi guys. Maybe you can think of a way to get around on this. I do not have a family here in America. Lost my bro and sis a several years back and my parents have long been gone.I know the importance of having a home address as well as keeping ones credit cards and bank accounts here in the states. For the retirees-expats this is the easiest way of getting our funds. Direct deposit for your pension and social security.What if you don't have anyone here to take care of financial affairs. IE Having a home address!! All credit cards expire...all debit cards have expiration date. All bank accounts and any brokerage firms require that you have a US address.I have my Schwab and ameritrade and b of a to transfer funds around.....for my pension but what happens once I move out of the states?Its good to have at least one good younger friends for many of my peers my age will ,as much as I hate to say this will die!What can I do?I'm sure some of you might be in a similar predicament.Thank you Redhorse :mocking: :cheers:

Gary
Posted
Posted
  • For the social security / Direct deposit, i just use a P.O. Box that i share with a friend. SS has no problem with that. As of 2013 there will be no more SS paper checks, its only going to be direct deposit into your or their account. I am using their assigned account with comerica bank and have not had any problems. downside: only 1 (one) free cash withdraw per month, but no fees on any purchases

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

If you don't have someone to tend to your mail you will need a mail-forwarding service. There are lots of them, I use this one because their customer service is good. The post office will forward mail for a year after that you will probably want a street address through the service. Banks, brokerage firms, etc, in general, do not want to use a P.O. box for mailing. Pick a state with no income tax, like Fl, Tx, etc.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

I use USA Box (http://www.usabox.com/) and have for over 4 years they are based in Florida .... they do not list you as a PO box but rather as a street address .... I always list my address as an apartment .... and yes MikeB is right a lot of banks and other such firms don't like PO boxes .... mine costs me $10 per month and $28 per 1lb shipment (additional poundage is cheaper) to here in the Phils ..... you are also allowed to cull junk mail as you receive a scan of the envelope in you email each time you get mail you can then decide whether to have it sent or not ..... they also except packages for you and will also buy items that you may need and ship them to you ..... but be warned they are VERY expensive to have that stuff shipped AND you will be charged for anything being sent (except mail) by customs ...... believe me I learned the hard way ...... you definitely need an address from the country you left for all kinds of things you don't think of until it is to late ..... very easy to set up when you are there but harder to if you already left .....

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 4

wingmanPI
Posted
Posted
I use USA Box (http://www.usabox.com/) and have for over 4 years they are based in Florida .... they do not list you as a PO box but rather as a street address .... I always list my address as an apartment .... and yes MikeB is right a lot of banks and other such firms don't like PO boxes .... mine costs me $10 per month and $28 per 1lb shipment (additional poundage is cheaper) to here in the Phils ..... you are also allowed to cull junk mail as you receive a scan of the envelope in you email each time you get mail you can then decide whether to have it sent or not ..... they also except packages for you and will also buy items that you may need and ship them to you ..... but be warned they are VERY expensive to have that stuff shipped AND you will be charged for anything being sent (except mail) by customs ...... believe me I learned the hard way ...... you definitely need an address from the country you left for all kinds of things you don't think of until it is to late ..... very easy to set up when you are there but harder to if you already left .....
good topic and good post. this is a subject I will be working on next year as Iget ready to move. 1. get everything as paperless as possible.2. mail forwarding service.3. bank accounts in the US and PI where you can transfer between accounts via wire. therefore you only need a PI debit card.4. give it another 2 years and you will be hard pressed to find something that you absolutely need the regular mail for.
  • Like 1

billten
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know a good mail-forwarding service from Canada? Loads in the US but the only ones i have found are run by MBE or something similar and not exactly what i am looking for.

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)
Does anyone know a good mail-forwarding service from Canada? Loads in the US but the only ones i have found are run by MBE or something similar and not exactly what i am looking for.
I looked myself but couldn't find anything worth while... I'm having my mail changed to my sister's and having her check to see if it is something that needs to be sent to me or dropped into the trash... That is once I move later this year...! Edited by i am bob

• 7 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Its good to have at least one good younger friends for many of my peers my age will ,as much as I hate to say this will die!What can I do?I'm sure some of you might be in a similar predicament.Thank you Redhorse :mocking: :cheers:

Do you have any one that you can FULLY TRUST? maybe they can allow you to use their address.

as you said you have no family left . so the best you can do is to use a MAILBOX SERVICE,

at least you know that you will get the mail that you need..

Redhorse any updates?

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

MikeB and MikeS,

Those forwarders are going to mail it to the Philippines so, how reliable is the postal service in Cebu or other places?

earthdome
Posted
Posted

MikeB and MikeS,

Those forwarders are going to mail it to the Philippines so, how reliable is the postal service in Cebu or other places?

The best mail services do more than just forwarding of mail.

They can scan the outside of everything they receive in your box. Then you check your mailbox over the internet by reviewing the scans of the outside of the envelopes. Then you can decide which pieces of mail to trash, shred, open and scan so you can view online, or forward it to you. They can forward individual pieces or just once a month. And can send your mail fedex if you want. If you think about it there are very few things you need to have physically forwarded to you. Most will also receive shipments for you if you need to purchase something in US and have it sent on to the Philippines.

One example is when your credit card company issues you a new card, that physical card would need to be forwarded to you via fedex.

• Like 3