What To Do When Not Having Home Address In The States? Credit Cards

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well my mail comes in by DHL and not by PhilPost ..... I have sent a few packages by PhilPost and have gotten them but it is a hit and miss situation ..... I get 1lb of mail (can be letters and magazines) for something like $24 per shipment and they will hold my mail usually for as long as I need so I don't waste my money with just 3-4 letters (they have held it for me for 6 months) ..... additional poundage is about 1/2 price ..... been using them for 6 years with no problems at all ..... JUST MAKE SURE YOU USE THE CORRECT ADDRESS HERE ....... and write it EXACTLY as it appears on the PhilPost address other wise DHL won't know where to deliver it ..... they don't use address here like they do in other countries .... my first package almost got returned because I had the address configured like a US address ..... but DHL does provide an excellent tracking service ... so I was able to go and pick it up at their main branch here in Cebu ....

Now that I know the correct way to address my shipments they come delivered to my door just like clock work ...... :thumbsup: ... :cheersty:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 2

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

MikeB and MikeS,

Those forwarders are going to mail it to the Philippines so, how reliable is the postal service in Cebu or other places?

The best mail services do more than just forwarding of mail.

They can scan the outside of everything they receive in your box. Then you check your mailbox over the internet by reviewing the scans of the outside of the envelopes. Then you can decide which pieces of mail to trash, shred, open and scan so you can view online, or forward it to you. They can forward individual pieces or just once a month. And can send your mail fedex if you want. If you think about it there are very few things you need to have physically forwarded to you. Most will also receive shipments for you if you need to purchase something in US and have it sent on to the Philippines.

One example is when your credit card company issues you a new card, that physical card would need to be forwarded to you via fedex.

Thanks Earthdome!

Regarding buying stuff from an online US store (like amazon.com), I know you can use the shipping agent address when you buy it and they will handle the sending. Something like http://www.johnnyairplus.com/, that's if it's cost effective.

I am still not sure how reliable is the Philippine postal service? How accurate/efficient are they?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

MikeB and MikeS,

Those forwarders are going to mail it to the Philippines so, how reliable is the postal service in Cebu or other places?

earthdome pretty much covered everything but to answer your question, I would not send anything US mail to the Philippines. In the year and a half I've used the service I've had exactly 1 item forwarded to me and I had it sent Fedex International. It's expensive. Once it reaches the RP a local company like Air21 or World Wide something delivers it. Paper is going the way of the dodo bird except in the Philippines. For forwarding items from Amazon, etc I use this service but there are others.

• Like 1

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

MikeB and MikeS,

earthdome pretty much covered everything but to answer your question, I would not send anything US mail to the Philippines. In the year and a half I've used the service I've had exactly 1 item forwarded to me and I had it sent Fedex International. It's expensive. Once it reaches the RP a local company like Air21 or World Wide something delivers it. Paper is going the way of the dodo bird except in the Philippines. For forwarding items from Amazon, etc I use this service but there are others.

Thanks MikeB!

Sounds like a good service for things like Amazon.com, etc.

However, if the Philippines mail system is not that reliable, how would anything reach you be it from a forwarder or otherwise? If it can't reach you, then what good is having a forwarder for?

What I am worried about is mail being borrowed forever (OK OK ..stolen), etc.

I am still chonfused 1%20%28103%29.gif I may not be reading the posts right?

earthdome
Posted
Posted
However, if the Philippines mail system is not that reliable, how would anything reach you be it from a forwarder or otherwise? If it can't reach you, then what good is having a forwarder for?

An example of the type of forwarder I was referring to is http://www.usabox.com/

They don't forward your mail using the postal service. They can bundle up any physical mail you need to receive and ship it fedex if you want. Avoiding the unreliable government postal services.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

What he said exactly. Forget PhilPost. But it's unlikely you will be forwarding physical letters. New credit/ATM cards are a notable exception. The banks don't generally like sending them out of the country so the mail service will do that. Another cost of living here.

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

What he said exactly. Forget PhilPost. But it's unlikely you will be forwarding physical letters. New credit/ATM cards are a notable exception. The banks don't generally like sending them out of the country so the mail service will do that. Another cost of living here.

Got it! Like you said, one more hoop to jump!

Thanks!

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)
For forwarding items from Amazon, etc I use this service but there are others.

MikeB have you had any problems with customs ..... I had a magic jack sent by DHL and by the time customs got done my $35 mj cost me $80 ..... but I was honest and had computer parts listed on the package .... you can bet your a*s I will never be honest again ..... it only weighted a few ounces .....

I read their site and it appears it is a typical Philippines warranty ..... they aren't responsible for anything ..... :hystery: :hystery: ...... but it is better than nothing as I have no more source for getting stuff sent to the Phils from the US ..... can you give an example and cost of something you had shipped by them ..... message me if you would rather .... thanks ..... :cheersty:

Edited by Mike S

MikeeW
Posted
Posted

Federal (US) agencies will use a foreign address for correspondence. This may lead to delays, but I get mail from various federal agencies at my PO Box address here.

To my knowledge, the SSA does not allow online access to any retirement account you have with them. They will send mail to a foreign address and there is a large contingent of SSA people in the US Embassy in Manila.

The IRS will use a foreign address.

US based health insurance companies will use a foreign address.

As far as US based bank accounts, that is a bit trickier and depends upon your banks. I would heed the advice of he other posters on this.

I use Metrobank as a US based bank for some business. You can use them or several other banks here. For example, a large number of people get SSA direct deposits right into their local branches (after having passed thru their US-based branch).

As to Philpost, avoid it as much as you can.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
MikeB have you had any problems with customs

No, custom charges are included, not sure how they do it but I've shipped 8 items so far w/o problem. Most of the charges are $5.99 because they are less then 1 lb but with bulky items they go by dimensions as well. A couple pair of running shoes were $22 and about $24. A P&S camera and some smaller stuff with it was $17.

• Like 1