Cheap New Guesthouses / Hotels In Cebu?

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

Try www.gvhotel.com reasonable rates, i have never stayed but had friends that have, there are 22 hotels in the Philippines GV has starting at 450 in Cebu

jode
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sim card can be purchased for about 60 pesos at any phone store. I don't think they will work with your foreign phone. I gathered all my old cell phones from U.S. and passed them out to thrilled girls here, but only one I know of was able to get hers to work and that was after taking it to phone shop to get it unlocked and paying for that. The cheapest cells here are about 1000 pesos and work well. The best cell service company here is a subject of alot of debate. I think SMART is the largest. I don't think too much differance between them. Love the buy minutes system here as opposed to the system in US. You can even call foreign countries direct with cell phones here but will burn your minutes fast.

Edited by jode

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
You mean more than one guest, plus you = more than 2 people?

I mean that some places allow 2 only to a room. You and 1 wife/gf/ or other guest. Perhaps they would have let me have more guests if I offered to pay more but I am cheap and the only reason for the third person was to help a girl out who needed a place to stay.

So I mean self plus one guest = 2 people = OK but self plus 2 guests = 3 people is sometimes not ok. But other places have allowed it so ask before you book if that is important to you.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
You mean more than one guest, plus you = more than 2 people?

I mean that some places allow 2 only to a room. You and 1 wife/gf/ or other guest. Perhaps they would have let me have more guests if I offered to pay more but I am cheap and the only reason for the third person was to help a girl out who needed a place to stay.

So I mean self plus one guest = 2 people = OK but self plus 2 guests = 3 people is sometimes not ok. But other places have allowed it so ask before you book if that is important to you.

Exactly! Some places will charge your for a cot for the 3rd person, some will just allow the 3rd and many will say nope! Only way to know is to check with the hotel! Many who have info online will have that info listed to make it easier but not all.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Sim card can be purchased for about 60 pesos at any phone store. I don't think they will work with your foreign phone. I gathered all my old cell phones from U.S. and passed them out to thrilled girls here, but only one I know of was able to get hers to work and that was after taking it to phone shop to get it unlocked and paying for that. The cheapest cells here are about 1000 pesos and work well. The best cell service company here is a subject of alot of debate. I think SMART is the largest. I don't think too much differance between them. Love the buy minutes system here as opposed to the system in US. You can even call foreign countries direct with cell phones here but will burn your minutes fast.

Check the phone's specs and see if it fits in the following... Globe and Smart both use the 900 MHz and 1800 MHz frequencies and also use the UMTS 2100 MHz frequency for 3G. I believe Sun will only work on the 1800 MHz frequency. So as long as your phone has any of the frequencies mentioned, it will work for those companies SIM card.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Yeah, most US cell phones will be locked. I had an old Motorola clam shell phone from Cingular (now AT&T). I was able to search the internet with phone model number, telco name and "unlock" and found many websites with instructions on how to unlock the phone and get the correct unlock code, for a fee.

I use this phone when I visit the Philippines rather than my new expensive smart phone. It won't bother me much if the old clam shell phone gets lost or stolen.

I did make the mistake of spending 500 pesos for my Globe SIMM and load at NAIA. They must of sold me the most expensive package setup with 2 SIMM's for OFW.

It was my first trip to the Philippines and I was thinking with my western mind regarding costs, $12 US for a SIMM and load didn't seem like much. Now I know better.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Thanks! I forgot to mention that the phone must be unlocked! Oops!

Speaking of which, I should call my phone company to get the unlock code for mine!

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

Thanks! I forgot to mention that the phone must be unlocked! Oops!

Speaking of which, I should call my phone company to get the unlock code for mine!

I checked up on that issue and in Australia the phones on a plan are all unlocked. The only locked phones are those that are purchased as prepaid boxes. I checked my phone's specs and it seems that it covers quite a spectrum of frequencies so to I'll bring it with me to Phili and give it a go. See if the sales person at the Telstra Shop knew his stuff.

• Like 1

jode
Posted
Posted (edited)

You may want to check the charger for your phone and see if it is able to handle the 220 volt electricity here.

I just bought a great Nokia C3 here (full keyboard-wi-fi-great battery-mp3 player -memory card slot -2mp camera with video) for 4600pesos - with sim card and case thrown in the deal.

Malls, coffee shops, hotels and my apt here have free wi-fi so I like that feature. You can get a Nokia without that for maybe 1200 less

Edited by jode
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
phildiver
Posted
Posted (edited)

For me hands down is the Premier Citi Suites. 900p - Standard, 1300p - Deluxe...........Modern, Clean, Flat Screens, Free Wi-Fi, Single Queen or Two Doubles. Absolutely the best value I have ever seen in Cebu. Close to Ayala, Chong Hua Hospital, Cybergate. Anyone have a better place please let me know

Edited by phildiver