My True Definition Of Wealth

bows00
Posted
Posted

I don't remember who said it, or where I read it, but it stuck with me all these years. It stated "The true measure of wealth is when you determine how many days forward you can live if you lost all sources of income." And this is why a retirement pension, investment dividends, or rental income are the ticket to financial freedom.

And the intangibles attached to this is statement, which is difficult to quantify, is your quality of life - which exponentially reflects my decision to move to the philppines. To me, it's about people, relationships and family - surrounded with financial security.

That is my dream. And my definition of ultimate wealth. What's yours???

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
That is my dream. And my definition of ultimate wealth. What's yours???

Women plus health = Wealth

• Like 4

mariposa
Posted
Posted

hehe :mocking: i thought women+wealth= stroke

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have heard people say "I would never move somewhere in my retirement that my current way of life and purchasing power dictate that I must live below my current living standards ...... and I suppose that is all well and good ..... but I for one can say that I no way near get the kind of money I used to get when I was working ...... now granted there are SOME who will have as much or maybe even more .... but for the rest of us we have had to change our life styles and adjust the way we live ...... for me it was not hard at all ..... as I am extremely ad adoptable and always have been all my life ....... for some people the changing color of their bed linen drives them up a wall .... these are the type of people that will have a very hard time living here in the Philippines .... some can't except change ......... some have to have everything done right now or exactly they way THEY want it ...... again .... not going to happen here .... only a couple of things are going to happen ... either you adapt to your new way of life and be happy as a clam in mud or you stay here bitching and griping about everything wrong with your new life .... or you pack up and go back to where you came from but I'm sure you won't be happy there either just like a lot of the snow-birds that come to Florida ...... bitch about living up north and then bitch about Florida when they get down there ...... as some would say ..... "they'd bitch about being hung with a new rope" ...... anyway if you do move here I guarantee you won't be living like you did where you come from ...... so just remember this little song ........ :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 4

jode
Posted
Posted (edited)

My definition of wealth, is the ability to live a life that is satisfying without having to obsess about money. Or to appreciate and be satisfied with what you have in life, and not always be coveting things you don't have.

Something that helps is to realize that happiness has little to do with the "stuff" that you have. Anyone who has done much traveling in undeveloped areas of the world has probably noticed, like I have, that the happiest people you encounter, are some of the poorest. Some of the unhappiest, their faces lined with worry and stress are those who seem to have the most.

Stuff has always been the carrot on the stick dangled in front of our noses that has driven the world economy. But once you start to accumulate the things that are supposed to make you happy and realize that after the initial excitement of having them, they don't, then you realize what a false hope materialistism is. Then unburdening yourself of all the stuff and feeling the freedom of having the weight of it off your back, so you can more easily seek true happiness, becomes necesary.

Edited by jode
  • Like 4

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted
as I am extremely ad adoptable

Now that's a strategy, to be adopted into a wealthy family?? :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 2

Elsa
Posted
Posted

My one and only wealth which I treasured so much is my Husband! His name is Paul M. Whiteway.

Elsa

www.Denial of service

• Like 2

bows00
Posted
Posted

He is one lucky man. I would love to trade places with him :D But since this is a thread on wealth, answer me this Elsa, what if Mr. Paul Whiteway was totally broke. And you had to support the both of you. Would you feel the same? After working 12 hours to make your monthly payments?

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

My point is that wealth cannot be just about relationships. There is a reason why the number 1 cause of divorse is based on financial problems. As superficial as it may seem, and I hope I don't burst anybodies bubble, true wealth has to have some finanical freedom assoiated with it. Sorry, but that is the bottom line - for me anyways...

• Like 1