Visa Waiver Programme

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Question right now so I was wondering if any one there had used the extensions on first entry waiver for a lengthy time

In my peer group there are the following groups (in order of most common): Those who are married and have completed the formalities for a spousal visa. Those who are in the process and are staying as 'temporary residents' or tourists (the terms seem to be interchangeable for visa purposes). Those who are just tourists who leave the country every year or two then come back and start the process again. Those who come with their wives on the Balikbayan privilege. Those who use 'corrupt' methods. And lastly those who applied for and received a quota visa.

I am generally familiar with all of those methods from conversations with friends and other research. I know there are other methods like employment, student, and clergy visas but I don't know anyone on those. The common tourist/temporary resident visa is a fine, general purpose visa. You can remain in country for up to 2 years on that method. It is an easy renewal for the first 16 months of your stay and then they start to make it a bit tougher for you. Most find it easier to leave the country on a 'visa run' every 1 year to 16 months.

Oh yes, there is one more type of foreigner here, the ones who overstayed and are here 'sans visa' and illegal. Interestingly enough, I know some expats who complain about illegal immigrants in their own country, and then they come here and do exactly that. Many have stayed here for decades and, so long as they never plan on leaving the country, will probably never get caught. (This is NOT recommended but is just a fact of life in most countries).

:) Dave I totally understand what you are saying, as I said, under normal circumstances, my situation would have been Retirement visa next year.or 13a whichever is best or available, the whole thing Changed in April and then last week, it was like a bombshell to me, just need the breathing space until January next year, your post has answered this for me, I can now do what I need when I get there. Thank you for the forthright answer and sorry if I gave the wrong impression, No way would I jeopardise what I have ploughed in already, illegal is not my way. Azon will talk to the Local field office tomorrow and we will see what the total cost will be and work from there. Although she admits the Hong Kong thing sound like a fun Weekend shopping. HUH Women :)

Again Thank you.

Regards Jack P. :tiphat:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Jack .... when I applied for my 13a I was not asked for any proof or even questioned about my financial status ..... but this was over 4 years ago and I have not read on the internet of anyone having to prove their financial status to get a 13a ..... as you can stay for up to 2 years if you are granted the extra 6 months extension form the original 18 months before you have to make a visa run you should be safe doing it that way if you need to or go for the 13a ..... up to you ..... as they say here in the Phils .... :hystery: :hystery:

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Mike, I think it's 16 months on a tourist visa before you have to leave, not 18 (unless you get the extension to 24).

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike .... I thought it was 1 1/2 years with a 6 months extension ... thank you sir for the correction .... :thumbsup:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:) Well, based on the answers from Yesterday and this Morning, my question has been answered, I need 7 months at this time so based on the 16months I should be OK, once I have the paper work in order this should be around January time. then I will apply for the 13a. I can rest a little easier now.

Thank you all for the information. Time now to get the Positive head on and stop worrying so much.

Jack P. :tiphat:

• Like 2

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Hi Jack, if you send me a private message I will pass on the contact details for an Atty friend, who has helped many expats with visa issues. He is honest, knowledgeable, and not expensive. I have not had one complaint from anyone that I have referred. Additionally he has offices in Angeles City, Legazpi City, Cebu and soon in Davao. I know he will give good advice, just send him an email saying that Carl as referred you, and that you are a member of this forum.

Papa Carl

• Like 1

GeorgeRoberts
Posted
Posted

I am looking to be there soon for just under 6 months..i know 1st visa extension is 3030 pesos but what will the next 2 x 59 day extensions cost because i heard will need acr card at some point?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

:) Well, based on the answers from Yesterday and this Morning, my question has been answered, I need 7 months at this time so based on the 16months I should be OK, once I have the paper work in order this should be around January time. then I will apply for the 13a. I can rest a little easier now.

Thank you all for the information. Time now to get the Positive head on and stop worrying so much.

Jack the info is on Paul Whiteways site and its also been posted here on the forum somewhere many times. Or look http://www.cebuexpatservices.com/your-visa-options.php

Now the part about a trip to Hong Kong for your wife to meet up is not illegal at all, no different than when you do a visa run if you ended up staying on a tourist visa, you can come back the same day as long as you were out of the country. If I was you I would do the maths of her trip, yours and then the cost or savings. If you went that way it would give you 12 months to sort out the next step.

Just my two, AU,CAD,PHP,USD,HKD cents worth.

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

When you do the math, make sure you include something extra for your wife's Hong Kong shopping.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

When you do the math, make sure you include something extra for your wife's Hong Kong shopping.

:thumbsup: well JJ, She holds the Purse strings when I am at home, so I have, no doubt ,she will organise this, organising is one thing she is good at, I will be home on the 30th due to her efforts. 100% Admiration, for my lady :) I hope others unattached can find someone as good as I did.

• Like 4